Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 02:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,529,753 times

Advertisements

Our job requirements were recently updated for entry level to make them more "inclusive" and for many, including one of my positions, the degree was eliminated. I have filled that position twice no, one hire had a BA, the other a Master's degree. Whether or not a degree is required, even for entry level, the best qualified person is going to be selected. With my last hire there were 18 applicants, only one without a degree had applied, and that one had no relevant experience.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:06 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,122,217 times
In some areas, I think it's easier to work your way up than others. In organizations like business operations, logistics, supply chain, sales/business development, for instance, I see a lot of people who worked their way up from the field and into a corporate position. In more technical fields like accounting, finance, or software development, it'll be trickier to work your way up without a formal degree.

A lot depends on the organization and manager. Some companies may not be able to afford top talent, and will spend the time and resources training someone up if they show some aptitude and desire for it.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:31 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,244,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent_split View Post
I definitely would like to work at a corporate office job or a job in Human Resources, Apple, etc but I wanted to know how can I apply and get jobs in this category if I don’t have a degree? I would like some guidance
Degree is not the issue.

Experience is.

Do you have any HR experience? There are no HR jobs that require no experience.

What other "corporate office job" are you looking for? Pretty much all of them require experience.

If you manage to get experience, THEN degree MAY come up as an issue, depending on the employer.

First, get past the catch-22 and you can work on the degree issue - which is relatively easy to do, take classes on the nights/weekends.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:02 PM

71 posts, read 40,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
What is it that you see yourself doing? Depending on a lot of factors, you CAN get an office type job without a degree, but it'll be a lower paying job. Like...you could be a receptionist, but probably not an administrative assistant...see what I mean?
What are the qualifications of being a administrative assistant?

Old 02-03-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Degree is not the issue.

Experience is.

Do you have any HR experience? There are no HR jobs that require no experience.

What other "corporate office job" are you looking for? Pretty much all of them require experience.

If you manage to get experience, THEN degree MAY come up as an issue, depending on the employer.

First, get past the catch-22 and you can work on the degree issue - which is relatively easy to do, take classes on the nights/weekends.

Can you explain to me why not having a degree is an issue to so many employers? Why would the degree part come up as a problem and what difference does it make to them if I have a degree or not if I had experience?

Old 02-03-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
There is no magic, easy peesy, lemon squeezy answer. The easy button you keep looking for doesn't exist. Anyone who tells you all you need is a couple of videos online is lying to you.

If you really want to work in an office, you must:

a. Decide what you want to do. Whether it's an admin assistant, engineer, finance worker, advertising, sales, whatever.
b. Then get the appropriate education and training for that field. Decide on the field first. Then the training and education. Real training and education. Six months. Two years. Four years. Certificate. AA. BA. BS. etc.
c. While in education work internships. Professional society. Research. Leadership opportunities. All while in school.
d. Just before graduation start applying to places you interned. And other places.

Work you tail off getting the degree and in the internships. And getting the job. Then you will understand the secret to life is there is no secret, and you can't get your money back.
I am 32 years old and there are a lot of scales online that will tell you that you can get a certificate and a career for 6months+ and I have fell for them and wasted thousands of dollars already on these scams.

Also, my GPA is a 2.00 and I doubt I can get in a university. I don’t have any money and so don’t qualify for FAFSA.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallots View Post
Looking at your posts, you are trying to find a way to better yourself in your job path.

We need more info so we can help you - how old are you? Job history? What area you live, etc.

There may be local non-profit job organizations that can help you, scholarships so you can get a certification or degree, etc.

Tell us more.
I am 32 yrs.old. I live in Houston and my job history only contains minimum wage jobs that teenagers can and do work at

Old 02-03-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
THIS again????

How old are you??
I am 32 yrs old

Old 02-03-2022, 12:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,823,599 times
Possible? Yes, but pretty darn unlikely.

If your dream is to work for anything akin to a fortune 1,000 corporation a Bachelors is well worth the investment.

The Big Four, FAANG, BCG, Mckinsey, etc. ain't recruiting out of high school ya know.

Best of luck.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:41 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,978,196 times
If you can type, use a word processor and a spreadsheet, and can answer the phone, you can get a job as an office temp. That experience can lead to other office jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment