Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 09:01 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,821,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Yes, you can get a low level office job and work your way up... Depending on the company, if you are lucky, if you are a hard worker, and if you are smart.

It's an employee's market for the first time in decades. Apply, apply apply.
Truth! I did it. It's not as easy today maybe, but if you take a low level office job like a clerk, customer service rep, or data entry, then you can find other positions within the company that might open up once you have the knowledge and skills required. You do need to be bright and eager to work, not just barely doing the minimum. Nobody's going to promote someone who doesn't apply themselves and learn more about their business.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:50 AM

185 posts, read 137,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent_split View Post
I definitely would like to work at a corporate office job or a job in Human Resources, Apple, etc but I wanted to know how can I apply and get jobs in this category if I don’t have a degree? I would like some guidance
Looking at your posts, you are trying to find a way to better yourself in your job path.

We need more info so we can help you - how old are you? Job history? What area you live, etc.

There may be local non-profit job organizations that can help you, scholarships so you can get a certification or degree, etc.

Tell us more.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:55 PM

37,720 posts, read 46,165,629 times
THIS again????

How old are you??

Old 01-28-2022, 10:54 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent_split View Post
I definitely would like to work at a corporate office job or a job in Human Resources, Apple, etc but I wanted to know how can I apply and get jobs in this category if I don’t have a degree? I would like some guidance
Many of the people who work in HR have business management degrees. Some have it at the BA level, others--MA. To work in HR, you need personnel management experience and some coursework, like psychology for business students.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,188,077 times
I suggest doing what a friend did about 20 years ago, and someone has already suggested it. Go to a temp agency. If you have no skills (and it sounds like you don't have many, because in your previous posts you always seem to want quick-fix shortcuts), they can still fit you with an employer who is looking for low-level office work. A couple years of that made my friend decide to finish his last two years of college and he's had a good, high-paying IT job with a major US bank for about 15 years now.

My mother always said, having a degree shows you can set a path and stick to it. Even if you end up getting a job in a different field, the fact that you have demonstrated you can learn, have perseverance, and be trained is an asset to a potential employer. It doesn't have to be a 4-year college degree, either. An AA or technical college program can be every bit as helpful.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:10 AM

88,763 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Yes, you can get a low level office job and work your way up... Depending on the company, if you are lucky, if you are a hard worker, and if you are smart.

It's an employee's market for the first time in decades. Apply, apply apply.
I did, but I started as a secretary in 1979 and the place where I worked had a way for clerical employees to move into management without a degree. I retired with quite a high-level position, still never having completed my degree, although I tried going to night school for a time.

Now there are very few secretaries left in the world and MOST of the time you need that degree just to get the admin asst job.

But I do know one out there right now. She worked in an office overseeing a major federally-funded construction project, but they were short on field staff, and one day there was no one there to take some big shot political types who had shown up out to the site. She knew enough about the project that she grabbed a hard hat and took them on a tour of the job. She knew how much the tunnel boring machine had cost and what type of soil and rock it was cutting through. She knew what the hours of operation were and other particulars of the project just from reading the documents she had to process in the office, and that was the type of information the pols were looking for, and she knew the cost information and the federal funding information because she read everything that came across her desk.

They contacted her boss the next day with follow-up questions and gave props to the woman who had taken them on the site visit.

She ended up working in the field at a much higher salary than she had in the office, and eventually, she was hired by another agency to oversee the procurement of those types of projects. I just looked up her salary, which is public information. She's making around $150K, no degree.

But she didn't get to that place by sitting there looking ornamental and waiting for someone to notice. She educated herself about the bigger picture of what she was working on, looked for opportunity, and when it came, she grabbed it without whining about how it wasn't her job to do that.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:01 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,090,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did, but I started as a secretary in 1979 and the place where I worked had a way for clerical employees to move into management without a degree. I retired with quite a high-level position, still never having completed my degree, although I tried going to night school for a time.

Now there are very few secretaries left in the world and MOST of the time you need that degree just to get the admin asst job.

But I do know one out there right now. She worked in an office overseeing a major federally-funded construction project, but they were short on field staff, and one day there was no one there to take some big shot political types who had shown up out to the site. She knew enough about the project that she grabbed a hard hat and took them on a tour of the job. She knew how much the tunnel boring machine had cost and what type of soil and rock it was cutting through. She knew what the hours of operation were and other particulars of the project just from reading the documents she had to process in the office, and that was the type of information the pols were looking for, and she knew the cost information and the federal funding information because she read everything that came across her desk.

They contacted her boss the next day with follow-up questions and gave props to the woman who had taken them on the site visit.

She ended up working in the field at a much higher salary than she had in the office, and eventually, she was hired by another agency to oversee the procurement of those types of projects. I just looked up her salary, which is public information. She's making around $150K, no degree.

But she didn't get to that place by sitting there looking ornamental and waiting for someone to notice. She educated herself about the bigger picture of what she was working on, looked for opportunity, and when it came, she grabbed it without whining about how it wasn't her job to do that.
Like I said the possibility exists for smart hard working folks in the right place at the right time.

For what it's worth I know plenty of millennials who worked their way up from reception or other entry level positions. (Not to $150k necessarily but to comfortable enough middle class salaries.) So it isn't like that possibility went away in 2008 or whatever.

Old 01-29-2022, 04:08 PM

83 posts, read 56,333 times
It's hard for people to realize that even here in the USA, breaking free from this imported "caste" system we now have makes the American dream harder with each passing year. I grew up without any role models worth anything. So your question caught my attention because it reflects my own former frustrations as a young person.

@OP: Just that you're asking the question makes you a candidate for success. Keep asking. I admire your ambition.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:19 PM

88,763 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Like I said the possibility exists for smart hard working folks in the right place at the right time.

For what it's worth I know plenty of millennials who worked their way up from reception or other entry level positions. (Not to $150k necessarily but to comfortable enough middle class salaries.) So it isn't like that possibility went away in 2008 or whatever.
They might get there. The woman I was talking about is around 50.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,786 posts, read 58,271,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeOfRedundancy View Post
... I admire your ambition.

I've seen inquisitive. (Easiest, shortest way to something better.)
I have not see ambition. (Engagement, commitment, striving to understand or apply a wealth of meaningful, experienced, and practical guidance)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment