Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:57 AM

171 posts, read 166,146 times

Advertisements

A year ago, I asked my cousin, who used to be a massage therapist, about her experiences. She just told me it's not a good field to get into and that it's hard to get into and she said one can't make a living off of it.

It discouraged me for a year and I didn't try to pursue it, but now I'm realizing, after exploring other things, that there's nothing else I actually want to do as a career.

She also said she practiced a few years ago, before they required licenses in the state; but she also went to one of those private for-profit schools (on par with ITT-Tech and University of Phoenix), but she did say she was board certified.

So, what I'm looking for is, if anyone can tell me based on their experiences of what they know of other people they know, if there are ways to make it work? I'm wondering if maybe things are different now with the field, or maybe the school she went to hindered her?

I'm not interested in looking at salary.com or other sites like that. I feel like with fields like cosmetology, massage therapy, and personal training, those sites aren't so helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:08 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,262,565 times
I feel as if, if you live in an area with upscale spas, and you are good, you can always find a job. My two experiences are 1. an acquaintance became a massage therapist, but decided that she didn't like touching strangers so she quit. 2. the mother of a woman with a free lance massage therapy business said that she has had some very bad experiences with filthy dirty people. One old man brought in his demented wife who had not been bathed in a long time.

So what you should do is really think about the possible nitty gritty of what the job entails. It is not just giving massages to rich women. If I were you, I would go to the best spa in your town, make an appointment with their busiest therapist, and use the time to ask questions.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:29 AM

928 posts, read 1,104,301 times
No, it's not a good field to get into. It requires a couple of years of schooling and then you can only last a few years as a therapist because it is extremely taxing on your hands and fingers. Bad ROI

Old 03-05-2016, 09:36 AM

171 posts, read 166,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I were you, I would go to the best spa in your town, make an appointment with their busiest therapist, and use the time to ask questions.
That's a good idea, and I have thought to do it, but we have no places to get massages in my area unless I were to drive 1.5+ hours one way. I'm actually not planning on living where I am and working as a LMT here, I want to move to Florida, which I would imagine would have a lot of opportunities. I don't think many would be here where I am, since almost all of the massage programs are in schools that are private for-profits.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:43 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,817,148 times
Well, you have to realize that:

1. Some of your customers may come in sick.
2. May release gas
3. May have bladder issues
4. May have bowel issues.
5. May not shower often.
6. May have skin issues on the back, legs and such....

If you HONESTLY aren't grossly turned off by this, then go ahead.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:10 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,787,360 times
My sister went to a fine school (Berkeley School of Massage) but she quit after a year. No steady income, NO BENEFITS- why would you want to do it? You can do better.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:22 AM

964 posts, read 998,173 times
Even in locations with upscale spas, there can be mass lay-offs. Massage schools crank out way too many graduates for the market to handle, even in resort areas.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:24 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,195,363 times
You have to be good at marketing and sales if you want to make the big bucks.

Lots of professions are similar. No different than why one hair stylist makes big money and one settles for supercuts because they couldn't make any money renting their own chair in a high end place. Same with personal trainers, barbers, make up people etc.....

Money you can make is endless, all depends on you.

Are you entrepreneur minded or looking more for a JOB?

Old 03-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
My sister went to a fine school (Berkeley School of Massage) but she quit after a year. No steady income, NO BENEFITS- why would you want to do it? You can do better.
I think the theory is that if you're in business for yourself, you can charge close to what the spas charge, so the extra profit would pay for your health insurance, and give you enough to save for retirement. But it usually takes years to build up a steady clientele like that. In a down economy, it's hard to find the kind of people who can afford to drop money on a regular basis for massage, unless you set yourself up to take insurance patients.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
You have to be good at marketing and sales if you want to make the big bucks. No different than why one hair stylist makes big money and one settles for supercuts because they couldn't make any money renting their own chair in a high end place.

Money you can make is endless, all depends on you.

Are you entrepreneur minded?
This is what I've heard. You have to be aggressive and talented at marketing yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment