Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 08:07 AM

1,075 posts, read 556,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They seem willing enough to pay for it.

Aside from the bad press due to poorly handled PR... having the clear goals is an absolutely solid idea.
No matter how much the can't spell, tatted up snaggle-tooths complain.
What are the "clear goals" other than peddling a culture of purity?

You realize that there are many thousands of successful people in corporate that have tattoos, right? Especially when you look into the depths of the tech, science, and artistic branches of the workforce. There is a well-known rocket scientist who builds devices for NASA's exploration of Mars who is very tatted up. You can Google it.

You also realize that dental impurities are largely tied to genetics, right? Crooked teeth vs. a serious case of meth mouth represent two distinct issues. Needless to say, there are many prominent figures in society with not very endearing smiles. Jack White, Rudy Giulianni, Willem Dafoe, Steve Buscemi, etc.

Not being able to spell or do simple math is actually one of the few issues brought up on this thread that can be tied to job performance. So, I agree that it should be taken into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 08:44 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Unfortunately you appear to never have internalized the fact that in many professions/jobs appearance does indeed matter.

You don't want a mechanic/tech working on your car covered from head to toe in grease, that, even subconsciously, implies someone who flounders, not to mention that grease is likely to transfer to the cloth or leather seats in your vehicle.

You don't want your lawyer to look like she's dressed for an evening of clubbing, that conveys an air of unprofessionalism.

With Sheetz in this case, although t was clumsily done, the company doesn't want its clerks to look like a bunch of tweakers.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-04-2023 at 10:28 AM..

Old 02-03-2023, 08:50 AM

1,075 posts, read 556,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Unfortunately you appear to never have internalized the fact that in many professions/jobs appearance does indeed matter.

You don't want a mechanic/tech working on your car covered from head to toe in grease, that, even subconsciously, implies someone who flounders, not to mention that grease is likely to transfer to the cloth or leather seats in your vehicle.

You don't want your lawyer to look like she's dressed for an evening of clubbing, that conveys an air of unprofessionalism.

With Sheetz in this case, although t was clumsily done, the company doesn't want its clerks to look like a bunch of tweakers.
Do all people with crooked teeth and tattoos appear like "tweakers" to you? Or are there exceptions that you have made? For instance, what is the threshold that one must cross from appearing like a "normal" individual to a "tweaker"?

You reference things like cleanliness and workplace dress. Most places I've worked have dress codes and hygiene codes. Hygiene seems more like a safety concern, while dress codes tend to be more strict only when client facing. However, I'm still not grasping the connection between tattoos, crooked teeth, and job performance. Are we talking whole body tattoos that cover the neck and face, or are we including sleeves, shoulders, and back tats that can be concealed? What about piercings? Are nose piercings okay? Streaks of color in their hair? Is the conclusion that these people cannot perform the duties of the job based on their choice of personal/professional style?

As for this:

Quote:
I tend to judge people on the content of their character, not their appearance alone. Someone old and famous taught me that.

Last edited by digitalUID; 02-03-2023 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-03-2023, 08:52 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:

I don't know that anyone is arguing that a look of professionalism shouldn't be factored into a lot of jobs, but there is a problem when it crosses a line, and that line is subjective. Are locs or braids professional? Are piercings professional? Is dyed hair professional? Sheetz painted themselves into a corner where demanding a specific look that might be a hardship on the people they're hiring to work in a rural gas station/convenience store. Even those of us with dental insurance know that it can get expensive once you cross the line into cosmetic dentistry, and is that they hill they want to die on for otherwise appropriate and qualified employees?

Old 02-03-2023, 10:06 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Appearances matter to many employers. Nothing wrong with that. If you've got scummy, rotten teeth, I wouldn't hire you either.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:42 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I went to a Sephora beauty store one time and the person helping me was wearing these white plastic "snap on?" teeth. I had to resist staring at them because they were so obviously not real. I did make a note with my peripheral vision.

I think they were those kind that kids in beauty pageants wear to make their teeth look perfect. I don't know...but bad teeth would have been better in that case.
I hadn't heard of "snap on teeth" until you mentioned them. I did some googling, and sure enough, one can get them from Amazon among other vendors. IMO, not a bad solution for someone who can't afford dentures, caps or dental implants.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:12 AM

836 posts, read 774,939 times
I’m sure my weight has lost me opportunities in the past, but at this point if I walk through someone’s door, I get an offer, a combination of experience, where I’ve been, and who I know.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:42 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The OP didn't link to the story, but the reason that Sheetz is in the news about their policy is that a woman quit her job because her abusive spouse knocked her teeth out, and she felt penalized by the company because of it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/shee...commendations=

Can employers do this? Sure they can, but it's a classist, elitist policy.
In NY, domestic violence victims are a protected class. Is that not the case in every state?

Old 02-07-2023, 10:43 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, but EEOC discrimination law only applies to the protected classes, and even then only those with over 15 employees. Unless there is a stronger state law that store may not have 15 and therefore be exempt. Even then discrimination is very hard to prove even with a good attorney, unless the employer is dumb enough to say something in front of witnesses or ion writing. For example, I remember when a supervisor at a place I was working told a buxom woman she was not being hired because her breasts would get in the way of working in tight spaces. All of the interviews there were recorded, and he was fired.
Was she truly too big to fit into the tight spaces that she needed to fit into? Was fitting into those tight spaces a true requirement of the job? Was there no way to accommodate her so that she could do her job?

Old 02-07-2023, 10:49 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Do all people with crooked teeth and tattoos appear like "tweakers" to you?
Are you still talking about the Sheetz employee manual? Because it says nothing about crooked teeth or tattoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment