Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that ALOT of people on government assistance, Food Stamps, Section 8, ect, ect is screwed by the minnimum wage increase because alot of people may get kicked off for making more then they are allowed to make under that program and honestly, who among us could live on $7.25/hr ?
Been there, done that, with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 AM

763 posts, read 2,261,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Do people still work for minimum wage? I would hate to see what kind of employees you'd have! Even the illegal Mexicans around here won't work for that!
You noticed that, huh? The minimum wage laws do nothing except keep real wages down.

Competition keeps wages up, not government intervention.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,690,453 times
I'll start the flame war. Those of us that oppose the minimum wage said this would happen. Now we can say, "I told you so".

Minimum wage is for kids with no job skills to get some experience. It is NOT meant to raise a family. I'm not going to pay you $10, if you only have the ability to add $6 value to my company.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 PM

50 posts, read 146,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I'll start the flame war. Those of us that oppose the minimum wage said this would happen. Now we can say, "I told you so".

Minimum wage is for kids with no job skills to get some experience. It is NOT meant to raise a family. I'm not going to pay you $10, if you only have the ability to add $6 value to my company.
It may not be 'meant' to raise a family, but guess what that's the way that a whole lot of people in my area live. Most of the mininum wage jobs where I live are done by adults, and not teens. So, I guess these people ought to live in their cars with their kids and go hungry because they aren't worth paying?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentia View Post
It may not be 'meant' to raise a family, but guess what that's the way that a whole lot of people in my area live. Most of the mininum wage jobs where I live are done by adults, and not teens. So, I guess these people ought to live in their cars with their kids and go hungry because they aren't worth paying?
Well they could get on welfare instead? Oh wait, that isn't acceptable either. I've known plenty of college educated adults who had to fall back on a min. wage job when times were tough and they were in between their usual type of job.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
"I've known plenty of college educated adults who had to fall back on a min. wage job when times were tough and they were in between their usual type of job."

YES! An everyday scenario - because the unemployment benefits run out because regular jobs are harder to find. I have met many: engineers, managers, white collar people with college degrees doing this. And taking on 2 jobs at a time to pay the bills if they must until they get a job where they can use their degrees.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:08 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,690,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentia View Post

Living in your car is a pretty good incentive to better yourself, and make yourself more valuable to a business. If you can't do it there, move somewhere else.

Do you know what an enabler is? That's somebody that makes excuses for alcoholics and drug addicts. Instead of forcing them to get help, they enable them to continue their destructive ways.

We are a country of enablers. Instead of forcing them to become more educated, and more productive members of society, we enable them to accept crappy paying jobs. Instead of fighting to be the best in the world, we have slid to being a third world country. We have quit fighting to better ourselves. We accept mediocrity, and enable the slackers.

I blame all of the enablers out there that think they are helping people, when they are actually holding them back. Go ahead and pour that drunk another drink.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,502 times
Funny, but I've never had trouble finding a job. In fact, I have trouble with turning down work. I wonder if it has something to do with work ethic?

I have two stories to share on this front. Actually, one scenario related to a story and a simple story.

The first scenario: I own a business, and although my wife and I are the only two employees, we occasionally contract out some work. But, suppose that I needed to hire a person to sweep the floors. I can afford to pay someone $7.50 per hour for 20 hours per week for this job.

What do you suppose would happen if for some reason, it cost me $15.00 per hour to hire this same person? I wouldn't hire them. I would simply do the work myself, or it would go undone. It would not profit me, the business owner, to hire this individual. It doesn't matter if no one would work for $7.50 or if the government mandated it.

When I was in court over child support one time, the judge (illegally) went back to one month in which I made slightly more than double my usual wage, and he based my child support on that. He said, "If you did it once, you can do it for next x number of years!" My reply was, "Are you going to mandate that more people buy my product?" (He almost got me for contempt, and I got the illegal ruling overturned and was able to deduct the difference from future payments.)

The government can't simply mandate economics. Economics respond to stimuli, and artificially created stimuli always come back to haunt you in the end.

The second story has to do with a past minimum wage increase when I was in management. I managed a corporate training store for a national pizza chain, and got paid very well to go around and open new stores and train all the employees.

Most of our minimum wage employees were 16 and 17 year olds who only answered the phones for 3 or 4 hours per evening. Those who worked the preparation process got more, and the amount varied on a number of different conditions. (The drivers got minimum wage plus tips; those who worked hard made good money, those who were of the entitlement mentality did not, and were not usually around very long.)

Many of the preparers were kids who would just work a few hours, but would work hard. A few people who were raising families either used the job to make extra money, or would put in the effort to get more hours and make more money. (I had one employee who worked part time (about 15 hours per week; he was military), and he got paid nearly triple minimum wage. Why? Because he worked hard enough to do the work of three people.

Cause and effect.

And when the federally mandated minimum wage was raised, guess what? We raised our prices. The owners didn't simply take a massive pay cut.

Which means that the carpet layer had to pay more for pizza, which means that the contractor had to pay the carpet layer more, which means the cop had to have a raise to pay for the more expensive house, which means taxes had to be raised to pay the cop, which means the pizza restaurant employee had to pay higher rent and more sales tax, which means that their spending power was back at the starting point. (Or perhaps lower.)

Which also begs the question that if there is a minimum wage, why does the Fed need to set it, since every state has a vastly different economic situation?

If minimum wage fixes poverty, why don't we simply mandate a minimum wage of $100 per hour and make everyone rich?

Old 07-07-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"I've known plenty of college educated adults who had to fall back on a min. wage job when times were tough and they were in between their usual type of job."

YES! An everyday scenario - because the unemployment benefits run out because regular jobs are harder to find. I have met many: engineers, managers, white collar people with college degrees doing this. And taking on 2 jobs at a time to pay the bills if they must until they get a job where they can use their degrees.
Well except for my ex, who felt McDonald's and Wal Mart jobs were "beneath" him... but letting his wife and kids go hungry, get evicted, get the power shut off, etc.. was okay.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
<snip>

Most of our minimum wage employees were 16 and 17 year olds who only answered the phones for 3 or 4 hours per evening. Those who worked the preparation process got more, and the amount varied on a number of different conditions. (The drivers got minimum wage plus tips; those who worked hard made good money, those who were of the entitlement mentality did not, and were not usually around very long.)

Many of the preparers were kids who would just work a few hours, but would work hard. A few people who were raising families either used the job to make extra money, or would put in the effort to get more hours and make more money. (I had one employee who worked part time (about 15 hours per week; he was military), and he got paid nearly triple minimum wage. Why? Because he worked hard enough to do the work of three people.

<snip>
Let me see if I understand this.... you're saying a pizza chain store employee was making triple minimum wage? How long had he been there? Who made this decision?

I'm really curious about this, because my partner just left a national chain pizza place for another... and at the first place they had an actual written company policy that no employee would make more than $7/hour regardless of their performance or time on the job unless they were management or MIT.
So, my partner received rapid raises for the first six months, tons of praise the entire time on the job, and increased responsibility but the boss said flat out "Sorry, but you're maxing out at $7.00. I'd love to give you a raise but CORPORATE is preventing me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment