Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:12 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,045 times

Advertisements

I work on a copy desk. We edit stories all day and keep going until the work is done. It's a fast-paced job that requires you to always be on your toes.

That's why it drives me crazy to see people around me goofing off all day. It's not as if I pry into other people's business, but we work in pods of six work areas each, and there aren't any cubicle walls between us. So I'll catch something out of my peripheral vision, and when I look up, there's my co-worker, looking at a story for about 10 seconds, and then flitting off to play Scrabulous, or check her Facebook page, or IM a friend, or type out a personal e-mail, for 10 minutes or so. It's no wonder we have substandard work around here, but that's another whole thread in itself.

This co-worker sits to my right. My "boss" (I use the term very loosely) sits to my left. She doesn't even pretend to work. Since she's the "boss," she just plays ALL DAY LONG. Message boards, Web surfing, IMs to her mom, you name it. If any of us complains that we're drowning during the day -- usually because she let half the copy desk take the day off, and then never tells us where anyone is -- she comes up with some snide little comment telling us to suck it up ... while she continues to play. I've talked to HER boss and to HR -- because her job title IS editor, and she's supposed to help out when needed, although she almost never does -- and nothing is ever done. People who confront her directly get fired. She's a nasty piece of work. A thin-skinned, lazy, lying little brat.

Now, I just put 2 and 2 together in the past few days. Both of these people -- my co-worker to the right and my "boss" -- are in their late 20s. And there's another person on the desk who acts exactly the same way -- 10 seconds of work here, 10 minutes of goofing off there -- and she, too, is around 27, 28 years old.

I've heard so many things about Generation Y and their questionable work ethic. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this in their own workplaces. I can't imagine EVERY young person is like this in the workplace. But where I work, the hard workers are mostly the older folks ... mainly Gen Xers and one lady who's probably on the cusp of Gen X and Baby Boom. We do have one Millennial who busts his butt every day, bless him -- he was raised in a military family, and the discipline that was no doubt instilled in him shines through in the way he approaches work.

I'm not saying I don't peek at the Web during the day, but I do it during downtime, not when there are 30 stories waiting to be edited. The company isn't paying me to sit here and goof off all day.

It all just strikes me as funny, because I'm a Gen Xer, and everyone always said WE were supposed to be the slackers.

Last edited by Adrian71; 07-25-2008 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 06:22 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
Oh, we're not all the same, trust me. I work two jobs right now, and am currently getting things together to apply to grad school. I'll be 27 in less than two weeks.

Then again, I've seen PLENTY of older people goofing around at my former jobs and they would always get the best of the best treatment from the boss. So it goes both ways.

but, you know, cue the usual "those damn kids!" responses.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Oh, we're not all the same, trust me. I work two jobs right now, and am currently getting things together to apply to grad school. I'll be 27 in less than two weeks.

Then again, I've seen PLENTY of older people goofing around at my former jobs and they would always get the best of the best treatment from the boss. So it goes both ways.

but, you know, cue the usual "those damn kids!" responses.

Ha! I know, that's how I felt tying out that post. "Get off my lawn, you dang kids!"

Well, your words are encouraging. Thank you. I'd hate to think there's a whole generation of kids coming into the workplace like this. The media fans the flames, and probably holds up the worst examples as the norm, so it's always hard to know what to believe ...

Oh, and I tip my hat to you. A hard worker, indeed! Keep up the good work.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:30 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
I don't think you can pigeonhole anyone as to which generation they grew up in. If people are lazy, they're lazy. You need to leave that job as you are working with a toxic individual and a workplace bully at that. There is no hope it will get better.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:32 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
Thanks.

I also want to point out that my brother will be 20 in October, and he's an overachiever to say the least. He's getting a degree in meteorology and he gets bent out of shape if he even gets a B+. This summer he's been working at a factory so much I hardly hear from him.

So, there's another one that you don't have to worry about.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I don't think you can pigeonhole anyone as to which generation they grew up in. If people are lazy, they're lazy. You need to leave that job as you are working with a toxic individual and a workplace bully at that. There is no hope it will get better.
Oh, I know that. Once the lease is up on our house in April, my wife and I are leaving this area. I'm just praying I can put up with it until then, since jobs in my field aren't easy to come by. I figure I've done the Dutiful Employee Dance for 3 1/2 years at this place, so I can do it for a few more months. But yeah, I'll be thrilled to kiss this place goodbye ...

Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Thanks.

I also want to point out that my brother will be 20 in October, and he's an overachiever to say the least. He's getting a degree in meteorology and he gets bent out of shape if he even gets a B+. This summer he's been working at a factory so much I hardly hear from him.

So, there's another one that you don't have to worry about.
Hee! Standing O to both of you! I just hope the poor guy doesn't burn himself out!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
I am 22 and work in an office - I see many younger people goofing off as well, but I can't tell you how much time every day some of the older people spend just standing around the copy machine talking. It is all wasting time, no matter if it is facebook or talking to a coworker about football or your weekend camping trip.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:13 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Of course there are lazy people in offices; office work by it's nature attracts some people who like to sit on their ass all day.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 07-25-2008 at 08:51 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am 22 and work in an office - I see many younger people goofing off as well, but I can't tell you how much time every day some of the older people spend just standing around the copy machine talking. It is all wasting time, no matter if it is facebook or talking to a coworker about football or your weekend camping trip.

Agreed. It's probably just a weird quirk that the three slackers in my group are all of the same age range.

Thing is, the press sets up Gen Y as being a bunch of self-absorbed narcissists, obsessed with instant gratification, absorbed with their e-devices and slaves to the accumulation of things. Just like they always said my generation consisted of a bunch of aimless, grungy slackers. I know I don't fit the Gen X stereotype, but after a while, you start to wonder if maybe some stereotypes exist for a good reason. So I was seriously curious if anyone else had seen the same trend I have among millennials, and a few folks from that age group have already come forward to set a good example for their generation! That's very heartening. There's hope for the future yet.

I'm sure there are time-wasters of all ages in this company outside my little group ... I'm usually just too busy to get up and see anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment