Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 PM

11 posts, read 79,721 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's the deal. I run my own business, but wanted to find something part time to get out a bit and save up money while I build up the business. It's been a year and it takes a lot of work to get things going.

1. I applied at a local store (Employer A) to do some web work etc about 20-25 hours a week. This is right up my alley, as my business involves a lot of web work. It also works well because the schedule it VERY flexible and I can work from home if I want. This allows me to work on my stuff and still help them out. I have an illness that makes it difficult for me to work some days, and this employer was fine with that.

2. "A" decided after meeting with them that they just couldn't hire anyone yet because they had too much going on. They had just taken over another store and wanted to wait on hiring to allow them to focus on the new store. They weren't sure how long they might wait to hire anyone. The interview went great and I was sure I'd get the job had they been ready to hire.

3. I found another company in town (employer B) that was hiring 24 hours a week. It was the best job I'd found, other than the original "A" job. It was daytime hours, not full-time, and hardly ever any weekends. I would also be working with animals, which I liked.

4. I interviewed with company "B" and got an offer. Because "A" could not hire me at that time, I took the job. It started out ok, but I now am realizing I don't have enough time to work on my business because the hours are awful. I work 48 hours in one week, and then have a week off. So...technically it's 24 hours a week, but it's all bunched together.

5. I've been at company "B" for one month now. The work isn't bad, the pay isn't bad, but it isn't ideal and the hours are a bit much for me to work on my business.

6. Now company "A" called me back and wants to offer me the job!! I would LOVE to take it, but I already took the job with "B" and would feel horrible deserting them now. However, I feel like I should do what's best for me. Company "B", who I'm with now, does not know about my illness and I can foresee problems with not being able to come in to work. Company "A" was very understanding and very flexible. It was also work that I'm highly interested in.

7. Here's the problem: My boss is the WIFE of my boyfriend's boss

Any feedback would be extremely helpful. I want to do what's best for me and my own work, but I also don't want to cause issues for my boyfriend or the company who has invested time and money into training me. Any ideas on what I should do or how I might fix this would be really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Does B know about your business? If so, I think it is perfectly reasonable to say to them that you gave it a trial and the hours just won't allow you to work on your business the way you need to.

You should do what is best for you. Better to have a short-term pang of guilt than to have chronic frustration and annoyance at having passed up a better opportunity. Company B will survive without you.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback I guess I'm most worried about the repercussions for my boyfriend. His boss is my bosses husband. My boyfriend and I have been together for about 3 years now, and I don't want to cause any trouble for him with his manager.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:19 PM

81 posts, read 341,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Does B know about your business? If so, I think it is perfectly reasonable to say to them that you gave it a trial and the hours just won't allow you to work on your business the way you need to.

You should do what is best for you. Better to have a short-term pang of guilt than to have chronic frustration and annoyance at having passed up a better opportunity. Company B will survive without you.
I agree with this...and you can always state your concerns with your health condition to help ease yourself out too without looking like you are up and abandoning them...

Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
LIE! Make up something good!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 AM

Update:

I didn't mention something about company "B" in my previous posts. Everyone at my work is female, and most are under the age of 25. The employees like to badmouth the boss and other employees. They have done this around me since I started 3 weeks ago, and I said something to them about it last week. Since then I hadn't heard anymore comments made around me. I felt uncomfortable with them doing this and thought it very unprofessional. However, most of the other employees do not have much job experience. I should have known something would happen.

I went in this morning to work, and was called into the boss' office along with my manager. She stated she didn't think it was working out and I was caught completely off-guard. I had been doing a great job with my work, and had actually brought up sales to the point of being low on inventory. I asked if she could tell me why, and she said some other employees had come to her and said I had been snapping at them and did not do well with customers. One thing to know with this is that my entire work history has been in high stress environments dealing with customers. I can admit to my own faults, but this is not one of them. I am great with customers!

I believe the employees I had talked to about not badmouthing the boss around me went to her and said these things to cause trouble although I was very seriously considering leaving the position, I do not appreciate being "laid off" (technically) due to something I did not do! I have never been laid off or "let go" in the years I have been in the workforce, and to have it happen in a way that was beyond my control and places inappropriate blame on me is infuriating.

Talk about the right timing though, hopefully this other position pans out and all goes well. I'll update as soon as I know

Any comments are appreciated!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 AM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciND View Post
Update:

I didn't mention something about company "B" in my previous posts. Everyone at my work is female, and most are under the age of 25. The employees like to badmouth the boss and other employees. They have done this around me since I started 3 weeks ago, and I said something to them about it last week. Since then I hadn't heard anymore comments made around me. I felt uncomfortable with them doing this and thought it very unprofessional. However, most of the other employees do not have much job experience. I should have known something would happen.

I went in this morning to work, and was called into the boss' office along with my manager. She stated she didn't think it was working out and I was caught completely off-guard. I had been doing a great job with my work, and had actually brought up sales to the point of being low on inventory. I asked if she could tell me why, and she said some other employees had come to her and said I had been snapping at them and did not do well with customers. One thing to know with this is that my entire work history has been in high stress environments dealing with customers. I can admit to my own faults, but this is not one of them. I am great with customers!

I believe the employees I had talked to about not badmouthing the boss around me went to her and said these things to cause trouble although I was very seriously considering leaving the position, I do not appreciate being "laid off" (technically) due to something I did not do! I have never been laid off or "let go" in the years I have been in the workforce, and to have it happen in a way that was beyond my control and places inappropriate blame on me is infuriating.

Talk about the right timing though, hopefully this other position pans out and all goes well. I'll update as soon as I know

Any comments are appreciated!
Working with all women sucks. there will be gossip and drama. You should have kept that to yourself and just avoid them. Easier said than done. And about being let go due to this I would have snitched them out. Who knows who else they have done this to. I would have said thank you for giving me the opportunity to work here but this came at a perfect time. If my coworkers have been complaining about me snapping at them I wasn't made aware of it. Maybe they are offended that I asked them not bad mouth you and other employees in my presence since I felt that this was unprofessional. Thank you again for this oppportunity.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
lol that is too funny...in a good way. They did the work for you. It will come back around to them...and it sounds like if you get job A you will be feeling real good.
Congrats.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM

I just thanked her for the opportunity, and although I didn't agree with what was said, I agree it would be best for everyone if I left.

I didn't want to be the employee that badmouths on the way out of a job, it would have been taken the wrong way. I didn't want them to think I was saying things just because I was angry for being let go. However, I am disappointed I never got to say my side of things. Perhaps if she had asked for my side of the story?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 AM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciND View Post
I just thanked her for the opportunity, and although I didn't agree with what was said, I agree it would be best for everyone if I left.

I didn't want to be the employee that badmouths on the way out of a job, it would have been taken the wrong way. I didn't want them to think I was saying things just because I was angry for being let go. However, I am disappointed I never got to say my side of things. Perhaps if she had asked for my side of the story?
what does it matter if she takes it wrong?? you are leaving and you wouldn't have to play the what if game. Its not like you were going to be screaming and cursing. In the same breath you took to say thank you you could have told your side. and the badmouthers didn't take into consideration that you could have been fired so why should you? Maybe you should write a letter? Thanking her again and explain what happen. you don't need to name names. just let her be aware of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment