Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:31 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times

Advertisements

I quit my job yesterday, due to unsafe conditions and now I regret it. What can you do when the situation that your in, is unhealthy and with several requests they wouldn't change it. Back to looking for a job, or begging for my job back.
I don't want to ask for the job back, but they probably would hire me back because they are already short staffed.
What to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
What is the degree of unsafeness or personal danger? What is the nature of it? Is it bad air in a sealed building? Broken locks in a prison?

Old 03-05-2010, 06:57 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I quit my job yesterday, due to unsafe conditions and now I regret it. What can you do when the situation that your in, is unhealthy and with several requests they wouldn't change it. Back to looking for a job, or begging for my job back.
I don't want to ask for the job back, but they probably would hire me back because they are already short staffed.
What to do?
If your job conditions were bad enough to make you quit and if it was bad enough for you to make several requests for them to make the situation safer,....
you've probably done the right thing.

Don't second guess yourself. Just look for a better place to work.

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-05-2010 at 07:10 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 07:43 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
What to do?
Hey, the only reason why you will not ask for your job back is because your ego has taken over.

Check your ego and go in and say...."oops, I got really frustrated and I made a poor choice. If at all possible, I'd like to have my job back."

Say it and move on. Don't let your pride and ego get in the way.

I absolutely HATE my job and my lazy a** boss. I can't stand the clients nor my coworkers. I feel as if I am doing a disservice to myself. And I am. But I am not going to allow all of the stuff I have to deal with to drive me out. It's rough right now and it sucks to high hell that I have to live like this until things get better but I have to do it. I hate it! I will not go out like that. The only person that loses is ME~.

I deal with the down and out of society, the black sheep and outcasts, drunks, druggies, mentally ill, felons, you name it, they are at my shelter. When I say they have ISSUES you better believe it. I am talking serious issues. I have to manage 65 clients in pis* poor life situations all by myself. They are very dependent on "the system". Many will never live a normal stable life. I hate the job with all of my heart. Imagine going to work and arguing, breaking up fights. Getting cursed out. I'm black so I get called Ni**er from time to time by clients. That SUCKS. Sometimes I really feel like crying. But I have to keep going. So do you!

When I lost my previous job( Financial analyst) the shelter was the only place that called. I had to take the job to get the bills paid.

So I know what you're feeling but you cannot just quit your job and you have nothing to hold you over for a long period of time.

Go ask for you job back!

Ron

Last edited by Ron.; 03-06-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Hey, the only reason why you will not ask for your job back is because your ego has taken over.

Check your ego and go in and say...."oops, I got really frustrated and I made a poor choice. If at all possible, I'd like to have my job back."

Say it and move on. Don't let your pride and ego get in the way.

I absolutely HATE my job and my lazy a** boss. I can't stand the clients nor my coworkers. I feel as if I am doing a disservice to myself. And I am. But I am not going to allow all of the stuff I have to deal with to drive me out. It's rough right now and it sucks to high hell that I have to live like this until things get better but I have to do it. I hate it! I will not go out like that. The only person that loses is ME~.

I deal with the down and out of society, the black sheep and outcasts, drunks, druggies, mentally ill, felons, you name it, they are at my shelter. When I say they have ISSUES you better believe it. I am talking serious issues. I have to manage 65 clients in pis* poor life situations all by myself. They are very dependent on "the system". Many will never live a normal stable life. I hate the job with all of my heart. Imagine going to work and arguing, breaking up fights. Getting cursed out. I'm black so I get called Ni**er from time to time by clients. That SUCKS. Sometimes I really feel like crying. But I have to keep going. So do you!

When I lost my previous job( Financial analyst) the shelter was the only place that called. I had to take the job to get the bills paid.

So I know what you're feeling but you cannot just quit your job and you have nothing to hold you over for a long period of time.

Go ask for you job back!

Ron
But what if they are being exposed to something that is dangerous or they're being asked to work with machinery or are being otherwise asked to put their physical person in danger because of unsafe working conditions?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:31 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,853 times
While I agree with Ron that at this point in time any job is a good job, I would caution Asitshouldbe to trust his gut instinct. If the job conditions were so unsafe, you might be safer away from the place. But (there are always "buts"!), is there any way you could speak to someone else in Management about correcting some of the most dangerous or unsafe conditions? You don't tell us precisely what they are .... Can you get your job back and then call a government agency to report "unsafe conditions". At the very worse, you would be fired - but at least then you would get unemployment benefits.

Also, how difficult is it to get a job in your area in your employment field? Do you have money saved to carry you while you look for another job? What about health benefits? Since you quit, you will not get unemployment - do you still have enough money? Do you qualify for COBRA? I am ALL about following gut instinct, but given the environment we are in, there are other factors that need to be weighed in. It's really tough out here in the Land of the Unemployed, my friend. But to me, NOTHING nothing would be worth losing a limb or my health.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
It depends on what the unsafety issues were. Sometimes the job itself has risks and safety issues that are just part of the job.

I'd probably ask for the job back and ask if I can improve safety if there are real problems.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times
I'm under the impression if a job is bad enough to make you decide to quit, you're more than likely to quit/want to quit again, especially since you've indicated the reasons you quit aren't likely to change. The question you'll need to ask is how long would you be able to tolerate working in those conditions, again.

Also, keep in mind once you quit a job, and employer and coworkers could view you differently. Even if the employer and co-workers are glad if you do decide to return, there's likely to be some resentment because you "quit on them;" especially since your comment implied they were already short-staffed even while you were working, and are even shorter now that you've quit. They may also think you'll leave again, even if you don't quit a second time. Consider if you can tolerate this possibility if you do decide to return.

I suggest thinking it over a while, and weighing all the pros and cons of your options. You don't want to go back only to regret your return. It may be harder if you later quit second time, and will display indecisiveness that may affect the opinion of possible future employers.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:35 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
Look...........everyone is this thread can say what they want to say and try to sound all "logical" about the situation.

Bottom line, if the OP has no way of supporting themselves for a long period of time until they find something. The OP needs to go back and ask. Stop with all of the weigh the pros and cons BS.

I love how WE try to sound so smart when it comes to other peoples problems but when it comes to our own, sometimes you cannot find your way out of a brown paper bag.

Only the OP really knows what's going on. Only the OP knows their situation. If they posted a thread saying " I regret". That's a indication the OP needs to be encouraged to go ask for the job back.PERIOD.

In life, you do what you have to do. Right now is not the time to be acting like a irresponsible kid and just walking out on your job and then regret it the next day. EVERYDAY that I go to the shelter, I feel like saying F**K IT! I can't do that. I am 35 and not getting older. I have to keep truckin', as they say.

It'll get better. My business venture we take off and I'll be out of that job THIS TIME NEXT YEAR!
I know with all of my heart.

OP, go ask for your job. So what if people "look at you different". They already look at you different anyway. Who gives a hoot if they talk about you, they probably already do.

Most people you'll ever meet in life DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU!

Even if you did put in a 2 week notice, no one says they'll give you a reference anyway. So what, you made a mistake. You're not the only person that has ever done this before. You'll get over it and move on. You'll look back 10 years and it would have not affected you.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Look...........everyone is this thread can say what they want to say and try to sound all "logical" about the situation.

Bottom line, if the OP has no way of supporting themselves for a long period of time until they find something. The OP needs to go back and ask. Stop with all of the weigh the pros and cons BS.

I love how WE try to sound so smart when it comes to other peoples problems but when it comes to our own, sometimes you cannot find your way out of a brown paper bag.

Only the OP really knows what's going on. Only the OP knows their situation. If they posted a thread saying " I regret". That's a indication the OP needs to be encouraged to go ask for the job back.PERIOD.

In life, you do what you have to do. Right now is not the time to be acting like a irresponsible kid and just walking out on your job and then regret it the next day. EVERYDAY that I go to the shelter, I feel like saying F**K IT! I can't do that. I am 35 and not getting older. I have to keep truckin', as they say.

It'll get better. My business venture we take off and I'll be out of that job THIS TIME NEXT YEAR!
I know with all of my heart.

OP, go ask for your job. So what if people "look at you different". They already look at you different anyway. Who gives a hoot if they talk about you, they probably already do.

Most people you'll ever meet in life DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU!

Even if you did put in a 2 week notice, no one says they'll give you a reference anyway. So what, you made a mistake. You're not the only person that has ever done this before. You'll get over it and move on. You'll look back 10 years and it would have not affected you.
Considering that the OP hasn't been back to this thread since posting, I bet he already did go back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment