Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,505,261 times

Advertisements

Thinking About Quitting Your Job? Think Again

Some people leap before they know what will happen latter.

Thinking About Quitting Your Job? Think Again - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,028,126 times
Based on fear mongering. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, in any economy. One just has to weigh all the consequences.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,611,060 times
I just changed jobs. No fear in it. I have about 6 months expenses in savings and was growing tired of the new management on old job.

Found the new one... Took vacation from old one while working new one for 3 weeks... Confirmed it was what I wanted and resigned old job.

Old job gave me an end of year 4% raise the week before I resigned... Still didn't come close to the 35% increase in pay the new job offered.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 AM

238 posts, read 316,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Based on fear mongering. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, in any economy. One just has to weigh all the consequences.

Absolutely.

My partner and I are moving to Colorado at the end of this year. She misses it, and I want a change in my life, plus living in California is too expensive and heavily populated...she has her family out there, so we are fortunate enough to already have room and board set up when we get out there, jobless. Actually not really...we could work at her bar while we find some thing permanent. I have faith that I will be employed full time within a year. So will my partner.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,540,117 times
I resigned several times without having another job lined up. It's always worked out fine for me. I like to take time off in between jobs...weeks or months.

Biggest issue is to have health insurance worked out. And have money set aside for day to day expenses while out of work. Plus have a plan for your next job after having done research on pay, location, companies, etc prior to resigning the first job.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,722,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I resigned several times without having another job lined up. It's always worked out fine for me. I like to take time off in between jobs...weeks or months.

Biggest issue is to have health insurance worked out. And have money set aside for day to day expenses while out of work. Plus have a plan for your next job after having done research on pay, location, companies, etc prior to resigning the first job.
You have to have one hell of a nest egg to be able to do that. Question, at your next job interview how do you explain the gap in employment?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,724,818 times
I quit my last job with only $12k built up and havent even begun to burn through it. On that note, I dont have a mortgage, my car is paid for and have no credit card debt. I think reducing your monthly bills gives you a certain amount of leeway when it comes to quitting a job.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,447,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Indeed, this is just fear mongering.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:00 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,722,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I quit my last job with only $12k built up and havent even begun to burn through it. On that note, I dont have a mortgage, my car is paid for and have no credit card debt.
Not having that kind of monthly overhead is KEY, in addition to a reasonable nest egg, to being able to just walk off the job without another lined up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment