Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 19,356 times

Advertisements

Greetings all...I have been pondering this for a about couple of weeks now.

So here is the story, I've been with this company for a about 7 years now, I am a CAD operator/designer, and I loved doing it. During that 7 years, I got warned for abusing my internet access in my 5th year review (We are blocked from all but news sites). Being a bone-head, idiot, call it whatever you want, I abused it again couple of weeks ago, and the big boss wanted to fire me (I don't blame him) but didn't. Granted, I got all projects done on time, but that isn't an excuse. I admit, I messed up royally. For a last chance deal, I got moved to the assembly/testing dept, where we actually test the product we make which is great because I am learning a new skill. The problem I'm having is that I am no longer comfortable working there due to the fact that everybody know why I got transferred, and I feel everybody is looking down at me (again, I don't blame them, I brought this down on myself), I am having anxiety attacks, chest pain, and sleepless nights.

Also, I live in a state where the unemployment number is pretty high, and what's worse, no one is hiring CAD designers/engineers.

Here is my money situation. I can live the same life style I'm living now for about 18-24 months.

So what should I do? Stay or Leave?

When responding please don't remind me too much of what a complete moron I am. Believe me, I already know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM

200 posts, read 600,615 times
Well, what do you want to do? Do you want to move to another state or would you rather stay where you are? If it's the latter, I would just stay at your job for a little while and see how it goes. As long as you don't abuse your internet privileges and continue to do a good job with your work, I'm sure people will eventually get over it.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:00 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times
I would leave. You got all your stuff done on time so WTF? It's just a news site for crying out loud. Sounds like they're looking for a reason to boot you.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:17 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
So let's see...you visited a site they allowed you to visit and you've essentially been demoted for it? I don't think that is fair and tend to agree with zz4guy that they are looking for a reason...do you see other signs on the wall; like losing clients or such? In this economy I'd advise you to suck it up and stay where you are unless you find something really worth a change. If you stay where you are don't mess up and don't allow yourself to imagine what your co-workers are thinking. Quit worrying about them and worry about yourself instead.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:29 PM

10 posts, read 19,356 times
Silverjet...I can't relocate. My family and friends are all here. And in my current position, I no longer have access to a computer. You are thinking like a rational person. Unfortunately, your advice is easier said than done.

zz4guy...that's what I said at first (I got my work done so wtf?), but I also had to look at it from the owners point of view, and I agree with his decision.

myrc60....The problem is I spent too much time reading sites like msnbc, cnn, foxnews, usatoday (which we couldn't access the sport section, just the news period). You are also thinking rationally, but I know I'll keep getting anxiety attacks, chest pain, and sleepless nights if I stay there.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
Don't lose a job through web browsing - just save that for home! And I recently saw an ad for a Draftsman in Chicago and it required a BSME and I applied for it too but no response! To be employed in this economy is gold!

I messed up my internet access at my temp Bowling Green KY job by looking / posting at Crossdressers.com!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Basically you said abuse ;so I guess they have some standard. i wouild stay and quit worrying about it as it lookjs like they don't really want to fire you or they would have.But of course they had to egt after you for ignoring company policy on abuse of interent because that would open it to others to abuse. But they want to really keep you ;probaly because you got the owrk done. A slacker they proably would ahve fired. move on and do a good job where you were tranferred to.Remmeber that anytime they catch you screwing upo and your of no value to tehm they will get rid of you. But they do value your work;so they didn't even a second tiime caught.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:03 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I used to work with a guy everyone called Pantie Man. Not to his face, behind his back. Because he was always looking at women's underwear sites. He was warned and suspended twice. One of the suspensions was for 30 days. And he just couldn't behave and was finally fired. If I was in his position, I would have quit from embarrassment but he seemed to be totally oblivious.

You got demoted for a NEWS site? If that's the worst thing that ever happens you are lucky. Just keep on going to work every day. At least till the economy gets better and there are options out there. Or start looking for another job and quit the old one when the new position is in your pocket.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times
Stay put for now and look -- at home!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:50 PM

225 posts, read 643,960 times
Internet on your cell phone works wonders - if you can afford it. Takes care of the burning desire to check the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment