Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,202 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of taking a job in insurance sell. I have a lot of experience in sales working retail. I am asking those of you have any experience selling insurance. How does this work? Do you work from home or from an office. Do you call people like a telemarketer?
How much money can you make on average?

Thanks for your answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,470 times
Selling Life & Health or P&C? I used to be a paper pusher for a large life insurance company and the way we prioritized our calls back to agents was to look up to see how much they have sold in the previous year. There were a small(very small)group of agents who made a ton of money, but most agents did not make it past the first year of selling. The guys who were successful tended to be people that had a nice circle of influence. These were guys who used to be professional athletes, minor celebrities, lawyers, accountants and lots of guys from the banking world.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
I have done health and life insurance sales in the past, yes you end up on the phone digging up clients from old leads (especially at the start), and most of the companies have you work from home. You can make good money in the business but it is hard work, and you have to find a way to survive while you are building your residuals.

As for the companies themselves you have to be careful, check out any of the companies you consider working for as there are some really bad insurance companies out there, that treat employees badly and their clients worse. Some of the good companies though take pretty good care of everybody involved.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,275 times
I am currently selling insurance for one the larger and more stable companies, and I love it. It's a great comapny to work for, and they paid for licensing, and training. I work from a call center in the U.S., although they are considering having people work from home.

I do NOT call people, thay call me, I am not a telemarketer, I sell auto,home, and Umbrella polices. I am also licensed in 29 different states and the company I work for pays for all of that.

As for pay, I have a base salery, that is ok, but I can also make commission on top of that. and there is a lot of oppurtunity for advancement.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
I am currently selling insurance for one the larger and more stable companies, and I love it. It's a great comapny to work for, and they paid for licensing, and training. I work from a call center in the U.S., although they are considering having people work from home.

I do NOT call people, thay call me, I am not a telemarketer, I sell auto,home, and Umbrella polices. I am also licensed in 29 different states and the company I work for pays for all of that.

As for pay, I have a base salery, that is ok, but I can also make commission on top of that. and there is a lot of oppurtunity for advancement.

Thanks for your answer
The company that I might interwiev with is Libert National insurance. Do you know anything about them? Anyway. You wrote that you earn base salery. Is it worth it? Do you work regular office hours?

Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 PM

my hours are currently 4 days a week 10 hour days my choice, i get 3 days off now. The base salery is ok not great but the benefits make up for it.
never heard of libert, what state are you located in, I can recommend a couple of good companies.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
my hours are currently 4 days a week 10 hour days my choice, i get 3 days off now. The base salery is ok not great but the benefits make up for it.
never heard of libert, what state are you located in, I can recommend a couple of good companies.

I meant to say Liberty National Insurance. I live in Tennesse

Old 09-15-2008, 09:11 PM

I'm home right now but I'll check their ratings from work tomorrow, I was gonna say more but was leaving as I was typing, avoid aig as they are a heartbeat away from filing chapter 11. I work for the hartford, and they are a great company to work for, they are one of the few that will pay you while you are in training and will pay while you are becoming licensed. I'm not sure which companies are in TN but I'll check a.m best and see whose based out of there.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I'm home right now but I'll check their ratings from work tomorrow, I was gonna say more but was leaving as I was typing, avoid aig as they are a heartbeat away from filing chapter 11. I work for the hartford, and they are a great company to work for, they are one of the few that will pay you while you are in training and will pay while you are becoming licensed. I'm not sure which companies are in TN but I'll check a.m best and see whose based out of there.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Liberty national is an A+ company, they are life insurance, the tough thing about life is that the license test for it is really hard, really really hard, I have seen very smart people fail the test, so be prepared. A p and c license is easier to get, not easy but not as bad. you really want to make sure that you pick a company that offers great benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment