Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Chicago, and often in the job ads it frequently popped up that the same company was always looking for employees. So my guess was that employees didn't last long there, the company was no good to work for / bad environment, they don't respect employees well, or they're so cheap they don't pay a good wage to retain a guy.

I guess I never worked at one of these companies, but I interviewed at them.

Anyone interview / work at such a company and how did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:07 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Some jobs are going to have a high turnover by nature... i.e. food service and such, even if they are good to their employees.

I have seen my ex-job come up over and over though, every six months or so they are hiring 20 people for the job.

Well, I know they haven't increased the business to need those 20.... they told me when I was hired that they only had openings because people had been promoted. I bought it at the time, but after working for them, I know that was a lie and they lose people because, even though they pay decently, they run the place like an elementary school.

No self respecting adult can stand it for longer than six months, being told when you can/cannot go pee and such. And BORING, OMG... please, keep me busy! I don't care if I'm paid decently if I have nothing to do all day but "look" busy. That's the worst IMO. Maybe I'm weird in that way, but I like to WORK at work, or be told it's okay to read a book... not be told to "act like you're working" when there's nothing to do.

They're clock Nazis too, having fired at least 3 people I know of for being 2 minutes (!!!) late a few times over a period of 2 or 3 months. TWO minutes! And not like it was every day!

Anyway yeah, in general I'd avoid a company that is always hiring or posting want ads unless you know for sure it's due to GROWTH. Or you just need some quick cash and don't plan to stay.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I've been here a little over a year and the same places do seem to be advertising all every few months for the same type jobs.

They all try to act like they are wonderful--'great opportunity,' and fantastic pay...uh, huh...

Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 AM

109 posts, read 441,387 times
I love the place where I work and they're always hiring. The people are cool, the managers are chill but still get the job done. I have a lot of fun at work, actually :-/

Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I used to see one particular hospital always advertising for "all shifts, part-time full-time" claiming "We're growing!" always a red flag.
I did take a weekend job there when the hours suited me and when I didn't want to keep a car because I was in grad school. The place was terrible, unprofessional, downright dangerous, and bad all around. Even in a time of many jobs available, if a place is looking all the time, there's likely a reason.
Now, if jobs are short and it's the best choice of a bad lot, well...

Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I used to live in Chicago, and often in the job ads it frequently popped up that the same company was always looking for employees. So my guess was that employees didn't last long there, the company was no good to work for / bad environment, they don't respect employees well, or they're so cheap they don't pay a good wage to retain a guy.

I guess I never worked at one of these companies, but I interviewed at them.

Anyone interview / work at such a company and how did it go?
It could be a bait/switch ad also. I know there's a fast food place in town that has been advertising for 15+ years for "manager trainees". It's a sham ad to get prospective employees in the door for the grunt jobs(cashier,cook, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment