Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:29 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyR View Post
I just read that lone travelers posts are possible fradulant posts...some type of made up thing to grab attention...probably, probably not. We dont know the guy so how soon can one judge?

As far as the tree climbing, I find that if you are a good contributing worker, that is ridiculous to fire someone over that. Have you 'monkeyed' around in the past? You should have been written up for that, not fired. Especially at how hard it is to find work. But then again, its still a liabilty. Its their property and had you fell, you could have filed a lawsuit (and probably lost)

But as far as it being childish, immature or stupid? no. Just because we dress up in suits and ties dont mean we arent animals. Hello! We are cousins to tree climbing primates! Climbing trees is a natural instinct, although not sociably accepted in the U.S.

You were just acting out a primitive behavior, and the boss got freaked out and fired you. You're not stupid for doing that, but understand its not sociably acceptable...no matter how natural it is to do so.

sorry, we may not realize it, but most things around us are owned by someone! whether we realize it or not, we live in a property ownernship society. If you want to climb a tree, you must ask the person who owns it! If they say yes, then go for it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 05:30 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
This thread is absolutely killing me . . . good work, people.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:42 PM

351 posts, read 1,584,540 times
lol
Attached Thumbnails
Can you believe this! I got fired today for climbing a tree!-do_not_feed_trolls.jpg  

Old 06-05-2009, 01:18 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Yup, you messed up pretty bad. There's a line of joking around at work and climing trees, and unfortunately, climbing trees crosses that line. Number 1, it is childish and companies want people to display professionalism, and number 2, as Gea12345 has said - if you were to fall and get hurt, your employer would actually be liable and you can sue them. All that to impress a girl and you weren't even drunk!? Not a smart move...
A major league clown screw up of the worst kind. Unbelievable childish, I would have fired you and you would never get your job back even with 100 lawyers.

You were on company property. Google "OSHA FALL PROTECTION" and see what you get. The liability you were presenting in front of your employer was unconscionable and he had little recourse but to fire you.

What's the difference between you climbing a tree during your lunch hour and one of my guys walking onto a roof without fall protection? None, both can bring about six figure fines.

Then to top this if you would have fallen the best outcome would have been if you died. The worst outcome would be a lifelong injury because those payments would never stop.

You were stupid.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,915 times
Fake- so very Fake

Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Why don't people look at the OP's name before responding. Lonsome is a known troll, makes up dumb stuff to see how many fools will respond...

Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Why don't people look at the OP's name before responding. Lonsome is a known troll, makes up dumb stuff to see how many fools will respond...
Sorry about that, I am relatively new around here but I am learning of the trolls.

I will be more careful in the future.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
It's because responses ARE funny- LOL in this one -- last two = classic (thanks Sensativ):

//www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...-paradise.html

Also, I've noticed, the highest "rep point" ratios seem to be racked up in places "non-states" where folks make funny responses and are just having fun anyways. Some reps are higher than post counts just for humorous posts in Relationships, for example.

Give me the funny ones like this one over the Topics *pretending to be serious -- those tend to be skipped :>)

This thread had me rolling in tears : //www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...he-possum.html

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-06-2009 at 11:11 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 PM

176 posts, read 522,591 times
Default Ridiculous to be fired for that

What I would do? Call the local newspaper. Call the local radio and TV stations. Get publicity for yourself and for the reason you were fired. the company will look like idiots and you can look like a fun guy. Maybe someone will see the story and offer you a new job.

I believe this country has lost its sense of humor

You didn't hurt anyone

If you had fallen out of the tree you would only have yourself to blame

I don't understand how such a spontaneous and fun thing can result in being fired.

Come On! Lighten Up!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment