Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 PM

47 posts, read 304,551 times

Advertisements

OK, i am thinking of contacting a career counselor or whatever the fancy name is for one of those people who help you figure out what career to get into/change to, what jobs exist and the fastest way from point A to B. Has anyone ever sought help from a counselor of this type? I have gotten so much info from the great forums on CD, and i am still stumpted as to what path to choose and pursue. I feel I may benefit from a professional working on my individual situation with me. I am a perfectionist and have so much trouble making a decision and commiting that I end of doing nothing instead, and i need to break this pattern!

Any 2 cents here? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
The various tests they can administer may help you find some direction, but I'd look to see what you can find online free first. You can do a Myers Briggs online, and something called the MAPP assessment free as well. I have yet to find a Strong Interest Inventory for free (that's a common one).

Old 04-24-2009, 09:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbucket View Post
OK, i am thinking of contacting a career counselor or whatever the fancy name is for one of those people who help you figure out what career to get into/change to, what jobs exist and the fastest way from point A to B. Has anyone ever sought help from a counselor of this type? I have gotten so much info from the great forums on CD, and i am still stumpted as to what path to choose and pursue. I feel I may benefit from a professional working on my individual situation with me. I am a perfectionist and have so much trouble making a decision and commiting that I end of doing nothing instead, and i need to break this pattern!

Any 2 cents here? Thank you!
Yeah buy this book instead. 48 Days To The Work You Love: Dan Miller

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 04-24-2009 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: fix a boo boo

Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
Career Coach video:

YouTube - ABC Nightline Career Coach Peggy Klaus Offers Key Strategies

Old 04-24-2009, 10:26 PM

80 posts, read 251,123 times
I am thinking about going to see a career coach to see how to market myself better. I was one of those who saw the downfall coming. I "retrained," so to speak, after hearing so much urging to do so, in a field that was related to the one that I was in before. I received a certification, after a year of very intense college courses. The problem is that all of the job openings want people with specific experience. So even though I "trained" and "studied" for them, whoops! There ya go.

Another problem is that I took the year off and did not work -- lived with family, put my nose to the grindstone. And now this looks "bad" on my resume, because I wasn't working full time (was doing freelance editing).

I feel like I painted myself into a corner. Damned if you do ... damned if you don't ...

Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
Well, It seems to me, the problem is not what you did, but how to present swiss cheese that persuades the customer that they will like cheese with holes. Or that Michelin Tires are better than the other guys/gals on the block making tires.

So, you need to work on presentation in both your resume and your "results" stories.

These thoughts came from watching the pros and amateurs on You Tubes Job Search videos.

goodluck!!

p.s Result stories are the little stories you tell the hiring authority about your transferable skills, i.e. leadership, communication styles, self- and team develpment, writing ability, etc...

Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times
Before spending any money on a career counselor you may want to see if they have one at a local job center office. Their services are generally free.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Before spending any money on a career counselor you may want to see if they have one at a local job center office. Their services are generally free.

There are plenty of books out there about matching jobs to your personality and things of that nature. Try to find one, see if your local library can buy it for you or at least get it from another library and that's much better than spending money to see a counselor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment