Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 225,647 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I had an interview for a federal position about a week ago and still have not heard anything yet. Has anyone around here been through the federal process and seen how long in general it takes to get a response for acccept/decline of an offer? I hear it can take quite long...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 01:36 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,687 times
It is too bad that you didn't ask the woman/man who interviewed you.

I did and she said it would take 6 to 8 weeks, after the close of the job.

Another poster, who I asked this same question said it took about the same time, plus he had to go on a training and that was not starting for another month after he was given the job offer "in writing'!

good luck and let us know the good news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgluv3333 View Post
Hey guys,

I had an interview for a federal position about a week ago and still have not heard anything yet. Has anyone around here been through the federal process and seen how long in general it takes to get a response for acccept/decline of an offer? I hear it can take quite long...

Thanks

Old 04-25-2009, 03:48 PM

Hey,

Actually the interviewer did mention that it might be a little more than a month. Was wishfully hoping that maybe some people on here have gotten that kind of estimate but heard earlier... but SIGH looks like in a lot of cases they have truly lived up to their word of replying at the end of these long timeframes and not a day earlier. Do you know guys know any reason why in particular it takes so long to come to decision? I would think that once the interview is reached, things would speed up a little bit more.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:51 PM

True!

And yes, they actually do their own background check. I don't think they contract out their background checks, which is probably faster.

And they have to wait till the job app. period closes.

So, yes, it takes awhile. But that has aways been true of munipal, state and fed jobs!!

good luck!

Quote:
Hey,

Actually the interviewer did mention that it might be a little more than a month. Was wishfully hoping that maybe some people on here have gotten that kind of estimate but heard earlier... but SIGH looks like in a lot of cases they have truly lived up to their word of replying at the end of these long timeframes and not a day earlier. Do you know guys know any reason why in particular it takes so long to come to decision? I would think that once the interview is reached, things would speed up a little bit more.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:56 PM

So you think they will contact the previous employers and do the full-scale background check even BEFORE the applicant accepts the offer? It seems like this would add unnecessary time.

Sigh, sometimes I wonder how people even are able to wait long enough to get a federal job. If it can take months I would think most people would try to find something private sector in that timeframe.

Btw Gea, what ever happened to that federal position that you applied to? Did you wait it out?

Old 04-25-2009, 04:00 PM

Yes, they can't offer you a job, until they have done a full check!! How deep depends on what department you work for. For ex. Justice jobs often require security checks!!

No, people prefer govt. jobs as mentioned by a poster below, they cannot let you go, because they don't like you.

Also, i am an older employee, so i like the idea that they (fed) are not going to get rid of me for a younger employee at less pay!

My sister is a fed atty. She chose it, because she wanted to have children. So, quality of life, is another reason.

again good luck!

Quote:
So you think they will contact the previous employers and do the full-scale background check even BEFORE the applicant accepts the offer? It seems like this would add unnecessary time.

Sigh, sometimes I wonder how people even are able to wait long enough to get a federal job. If it can take months I would think most people would try to find something private sector in that timeframe.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:16 PM

Warning, though! My experience, they picked someone else, but never updated their onsite job screen, which showed the job as still being available even months after they had filled it.

So, you will have to call them for a response, if you don't hear anything in 4 weeks!!

Old 04-25-2009, 05:32 PM

Hey, thanks for the information gea.

Couple more questions if u wouldn't mind

If they do all the background screening even prior to giving an offer... how come it takes so long still to actually start the job, after accepting the offer?

Why specifically is it that fed jobs are more secure?

Do you know if some agencies prefer to hire people close to the area or are more-or-less geographically neutral?

And sorry to hear that you weren't able to get that initial job with the gov't even after making you wait so long. Next time, though

Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 PM

No Problem!

Well, the woman I interviewed with knew that I would be relocating and she said i could have up to a month if i needed to get settled.

When you say actually start the job, i assume you include training.

For example my last job was a "goverment" contract job. It took a whole month to get hired, which included the background check and also they like to train incoming employees at the same time, if possible.

Also, you are being given computer access to thousands of american's private information. Therefore, before they give you access, they need to do a background check. This takes time. If it requires a security clearance, they have to actually interview people who know you, and not just the references you provided. The government is not private, so if they make mistakes, it can be made public faster than if a private company risks your private information.

I knew employees, that even 2 nd 3 months after they started, STILL had not been given access to certain government computer databases. So, very hard to do one's work.

If you are ex-military, a lot of this is not applicable.

Regarding job security. Private companies main motivation is to make a profit, if that means firing the loyal employee of 30 years who is making 65,000 and replace them with a new employee with a few years experience at 29,000, they will do it!

Where the government is more constrained for terminating people for age, gender, ethincity, race, profit, etc...

For example, our supreme court justice Ginsberg, became a government employee, because she could not get a lawyer job after graduating from law school. No one was willing to hire her because she was a woman, except as a paralegal. So, you are judged more on what you can do, rather than attributes you have no control over.

Lastly, if they will only consider people in the local area, then it will say it. And since I don't have that kind of insider information. But if the job is not well paid, like under 40,000 they will wonder why you want to relocate.

I took the train up and back in the same day, from Phila to D.C. Not too expensive and not too long, to go for an hour and half interview.

hope this helps!

patience is a virtue they say

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the information gea.

Couple more questions if u wouldn't mind

If they do all the background screening even prior to giving an offer... how come it takes so long still to actually start the job, after accepting the offer?

Why specifically is it that fed jobs are more secure?

Do you know if some agencies prefer to hire people close to the area or are more-or-less geographically neutral?

And sorry to hear that you weren't able to get that initial job with the gov't even after making you wait so long. Next time, though

Last edited by gea12345; 04-25-2009 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment