Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 PM

47 posts, read 304,868 times

Advertisements

I have to ask after finding that I am clueless on this - I hear ALOT about people who make good salaries/money having websites and/or blogs. I am no internet genius but I do use it daily and I have NO idea how someone makes money just having a site (i.e., not a site that is per se selling goods) or blog. I frequent blogs who's owners say they support themselves solely from writing their blog. I am confounded. It is the advertising banners on their sites that draws the money? Anyone wise or into this action who can fill me in? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:25 PM

173 posts, read 969,049 times
Google and Kontera are the 2 biggies in terms of advertising.
But pro bloggers usually are supported by direct or specific advertisers or sponsors.
Pro bloggers usually write well to begin with and usually have a large share of a niche market.
So they tend to write about a very specific subject that actually has a broader appeal.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 PM

62 posts, read 314,409 times
Well, not too long ago I did a little research on this very topic. The main thing I learned is that while there are many great blogs out there, not too many make more than a few hundred dollars doing it.

Check out this site: Blog Tips to Help You Make Money Blogging - ProBlogger

The gentleman who started this site, Darren Rowse, had been blogging for years and has made a six figure income blogging, but he says that is not the norm. However, check out his site and do a search on his name to see what you find out.

Oh, here is a link with a show I believe Darren was a guest on: Darren Rowse: ProBlogger Secrets To A Six Figure Income - <em>Blog Business Success Radio</em> : Blog Business World

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,103,228 times
Youir best bet is thru one of the politcal parties and their supporters.A independent will have a hard time really.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,891,633 times
It is very hard to make a lot of money from advertising. You'll literally need to get hundreds of thousands of viewers each month to make any decent money.

There is better money developing a solid product and selling it online for a profit.

Don't quit your day job to do online ventures. It is definitely hard to make a buck online.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,206,019 times
I know a consultant who blogs as a way to market her books and services. The blogging brings in a little extra cash, but she'd blog even if it wasn't making her money directly because it's a means to an end. She is a well known and respected subject matter expert with tens of thousands of people who want to read what she has to say. She blogs a few times a week, and offers value to her readers as opposed to "Should I answer the phone or let it go to voicemail" in her blogs.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:37 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,960,806 times
What would you blog about? Who would want to read your blog? Who would want to pay to advertise on your website/blog? What would you blog about? Is it relevant? Will it last? Ask yourself these questions, then ask yourself how you will differentiate yourself from the other hundreds of thousands of people blogging? Do it as a hobby and hope it pans out but don't rest your future on it.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,522,488 times
I know a blogger for a local publication and he gets paid $50/week for a once a week submission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment