Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,416,978 times

Advertisements

I have a degree in business administration. I work in the field, but am not happy with it. I'm doing a complete re-evaluation of my life and my work and changing things to make it better. I want a new career and am willing to go back to school to get it, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm not even sure whats out there and how to go about researching it. Can those who have made the leap share their stories? How do you find the 'right' career for you? Did you get a mentor? How? What about finances? What would you have done differently? Etc...

Thanks in advance! Hope to hear some inspiring stories soon to give me the kick in the patootie I need!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 04:02 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,918,548 times
Long time, no replies.

Your first place to start may be a consultation with a career coach, if you're not adverse to paying for one. One of the first things they'll likely have you do is take one of the personality tests- Jung-Meyer-Briggs or Birkman. These will help identify your strengths and weaknesses, attributes, comfort and discomfort levels and map them to general fields and specific occupations that you might consider based on all of the number crunching. Just google those two tests to find out more.

That's one option that you can look into.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:15 PM

2,364 posts, read 11,145,253 times
Are you sure, that you have no idea of what you would like to do?

One of my sisters is in that position. But she knows. She would like to do catering, making food!

So the question is not what I would like to do, but if I do it, can I make it a longterm success? And what is the smart way to go about it?

But what to do next! I think I would have to actually know you, in order to say one thing or another.

You could shine shoes or study spanish and teach that to children or be a golf caddy, there are just too many things!

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I have a degree in business administration. I work in the field, but am not happy with it. I'm doing a complete re-evaluation of my life and my work and changing things to make it better. I want a new career and am willing to go back to school to get it, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm not even sure whats out there and how to go about researching it. Can those who have made the leap share their stories? How do you find the 'right' career for you? Did you get a mentor? How? What about finances? What would you have done differently? Etc...

Thanks in advance! Hope to hear some inspiring stories soon to give me the kick in the patootie I need!

Old 04-30-2009, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.

JTGJR, I've worked with a career coach in the past. Didn't help my career much, but made me realize at the time the bigger problem was my marriage. I spent a few years working on that, though it ended in divorce anyway. But I'm much better off now. Tried another coach after that, but didn't click. I've taken all the tests. I know I am an ISTJ and that I like to work with my hands and make things. I like working outdoors and with plants and animals. I'm not good with sales or customer service. I have a scientific mind and love to do research. Problem is, I just can't seem to find actual job titles to go with these likes. Neither of the career coaches seemed to be able to help me with that either. I don't want to throw more money away either.

gea12345, yes I have some ideas, but am not sure which ones I can really make money off of. My divorce, though worth every penny, has left me with very few nickels to rub together! I need a career in which I can make a living to support a solo woman without a second income at home. I've looked into Vet Tech, but was astounded at how little they are paid! I've looked into, but put librarian on the back burner, as it's a lot of education and I'm hearing it doesn't pay too well and jobs are hard to come by. I've always felt a draw to farming, but without the funds to purchase property to raise horses or sheep, that's not really a possibility at this time either. I'm looking for something outdoorsy, mentally stimulating, with a liveable salary that has some job openings in the eastern PA area. I'm willing to go to school for a few years (if it's nights and weekends so I can maintain a f/t job), to find my ideal career - I just need to know what it is and I'm having a lot of issues with that. The latest two careers I'm researching is horticulturalist and animal massage therapist. I also occasionally look into being an alpaca rancher, but I think thats just a dream at this point because of the cost to get started.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,948,540 times
I assume that you have no children and supporting yourself is the main issue? I would worry less about the money to be initially earned than examining what you really think you want to do, as gea12345 said.

It's amazing how little you can actually live on once you get down to basics and forgo the hairdos and the nails and the clothes and the million count sheets and the matching doodads and the fancy car, etc.

I've no doubt at all that I'm DONKEY'S years older than you (if that makes any difference) but I've worn many different hats in my lifetime, have changed "careers" several times and have never regretted any of those changes.

Oh, just to clarify, corporate/civil service/corporate/medical/legal/horse farm owner and now restaurant owner for 14 years. What a mix!

Going to school isn't the be all and the end all. You can apprentice as a veterinarian assistant or an animal massage therapist and make enough money to get by, start a horticultural growing program in your own back yard as a side venture. When you embark on doing something that you love to do, everything falls into place eventually.

You may never make a million dollars (but might!) but as long as you can simply keep a roof over your head and do what's your desire, it all works out eventually despite so many ups and downs.

Damn, I missed the latest episode of "Bones" tonight - knew I should have recorded it earlier but didn't anticipate your post.

Sometimes you work extremely hard for little remuneration but you gain knowledge.

Cheers!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Well, if you like working with your hands, why don't you go into a trade like electrician. I know that each state offers its citizens an apprenticeship program. (the link is probably on the thread 10 plus employers.https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ople-plus.html
)
That way you can be your own boss, join a union and work for someone else or work for the government or for a private entity.

I have read up on Chicago and Pennsylvania's apprentice program and both are excellent!! And have lots of programs to sink your teeth in. I would choose a program like electrician, which requires good math skills, since lots of people, including me, don' t have them.
And recession proof, since people always need plumbers and electricians!

good luck

p.s. If you want a degree that pays well after only 4 years of study, engineering or chemistry or software enginneerng are good ones!!
p.s. If you already have your degree, then a 2 year masters degree in Human Resources management is a good paying field or 3 years law degree, if you get into an excellent school.) But these last two require a high level interaction with people, not animals or plants ;-))

Last edited by gea12345; 04-30-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I assume that you have no children and supporting yourself is the main issue?
That is correct. Just me,the cats and the parrot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It's amazing how little you can actually live on once you get down to basics and forgo the hairdos and the nails and the clothes and the million count sheets and the matching doodads and the fancy car, etc.
I haven't had my hair or nails done in years. My sheets are old, my comforters are hand-me-downs or from yard sales. My fancy car is 10 years old with 180K. I have not been to a dentist in about 5 years. No, I can't afford any of those 'fancy' doodads on my current salary. I'm already living as frugally as possible. Long Island is a very very very expensive place to live and between the loan for paying off my ex husband and the mortgage and taxes (7K/yr) on my house, I have NO extra money for fancy doodads already. Part of what I want to get out of in my remaking of myself is this way of living. Maybe I need a change in location more than anything else. Somewhere where I can get by with a bit to spare at the end of the month to save for a rainy day. Maybe I should consider moving first and reinventing my career second instead of doing both at the same time. Hmmmm. Will have to consider that possibility. Maybe doing both is too much to bite off at one time. Hmmm. Will have to mull this over.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Well, if you like working with your hands, why don't you go into a trade like electrician.
I have toyed with the idea of becoming an auto mechanic - would satisfy my working with my hand and diagnosing/researching skills. Electrician wouldn't work because I'm afraid of attics. I won't even go in mine unless I really really really have to! I'm not sure how easily a woman mechanic would get hired, but I know I'd go to a shop where another woman would be working on my car. Will keep that on the list as well then.

HR Mgmt or Legal has too much people interaction and is too much like what I do now. I know I could make money at it - but it's just not something that would work for me in the long term. The only 'office' type thing I have considered is getting my masters in accounting (I had a minor with my BS in Business Admin) and going into the accounting field, maybe forensic accounting. That seems to be popular lately!

Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 AM

hmm well, as mentioned above, you should follow your heart!

But obviously, the apprentice programs offer more than just electrician.

If you are interested in going to auto mechanic school, is a good option, but based on help i provided a automechanic poster, it is not well paid and there are more mechanics than there are jobs.

Forensic accounting sounds very boring. But the pay is good! And you can do it as independent contractor, so you are your own boss.

good luck in whatver you choose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I have toyed with the idea of becoming an auto mechanic - would satisfy my working with my hand and diagnosing/researching skills. Electrician wouldn't work because I'm afraid of attics. I won't even go in mine unless I really really really have to! I'm not sure how easily a woman mechanic would get hired, but I know I'd go to a shop where another woman would be working on my car. Will keep that on the list as well then.

HR Mgmt or Legal has too much people interaction and is too much like what I do now. I know I could make money at it - but it's just not something that would work for me in the long term. The only 'office' type thing I have considered is getting my masters in accounting (I had a minor with my BS in Business Admin) and going into the accounting field, maybe forensic accounting. That seems to be popular lately!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM

65 posts, read 160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
hmm well, as mentioned above, you should follow your heart!
If you are interested in going to auto mechanic school, is a good option, but based on help i provided a automechanic poster, it is not well paid and there are more mechanics than there are jobs.

good luck in whatver you choose!

You're way off there. Ever hear of a Diesel Mechanic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment