Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,956,110 times

Advertisements

I don't know if the stories going around my office are true or not. But none of us were given merit increases this year at our normal time and told we could *possibly* get them 6 months later (now). Well, we're not. Incidentally, these increases are written policy. If you get a certain ranking it corresponds to a percent pay increase. We all know times are tough so we just accepted. These raises are performance-based so if the company didn't feel we worth it, they could simply rank us low and then we wouldn't be eligible.

Next thing you know, we hear about a few promotions in our department. So, of course, coworkers start asking if our raises are going through after all since there appears to be money in the budget. We're all told no. Then we're told that the promotions are in name only and don't come with a pay increase. What? I'm thinking they're lying, but not sure. I mean, would people really accept a promotion that involves a lot of extra work and responsibility without extra pay? For that matter, why change the job title and even mention promotions. Why not just give them the work? All of us (who are remaining) have been doing things that aren't remotely part of our job descriptions.

Guess I'm just trying to figure out the new rules that seem to be coming into play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,342,566 times
This happened to me in my previous job. The firm lost two supervisory personnel almost back to back and forced me to "fill in" until they could "find someone with the experience." I was promised a "bonus" for doing this. Then it turned out I was doing such a good job replacing these two people (while being expected to pitch in and do the work I was hired for if need be) that they decided they didn't need to hire anyone! I was STUCK putting up with this because I needed to gain the experience in this field with a steady permanent job. I couldn't go back to my old field because it had been SAVAGED by outsourcing to India. Fast forward to bonus and raise time and NOBODY gets any! Firm says it is "reevaluating the budget" and we have to wait 3 months. Fast forward 3 months. No raises, no bonuses and many people are laid off. (One interesting thing that happened was a long-time slacker with 15 years of tenure there in my dept. got laid off and I didn't.) Fast forward 2 months. Firm is desperately looking for a merger. Fast forward a few more months. Firm gives us the WARN Act (companies over a certain size laying off a large number of people are required to give them 2 months' notice that they are closing). Fast forward 1 month. They are not going to comply with the WARN Act and they are going to let people go in 1 month, not 2, plus they are not going to pay people for their accrued vacation time "until next year." (Still haven't heard from them about that and not expecting to. I was only owed about an hour of vacation time anyway because I made sure to take everything I could before the firm closed.)

This end of our Warn Act was November 30, 2008. I got a new job two weeks before that and the experience I had from the place that abused me (and everyone else it turns out) made the difference for me. So sometimes we have to grin and bear it.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times
My sister recently got a promotion to Department supervisor from a lowly cashier position. No pay increase, no increase in hours (she's at 31 hours, because at 32 they have to offer health insurance) AND she's expected to do the work of 3 people since the other 2 people that were previously in the department were fired. The company said they're doing excellent and are even getting ready to open a new store... still no raises.

They're using the economy as an excuse not to pay.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:21 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,025,324 times
It's not a good thing to talk salary with co-workers.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:26 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
if they increase your workload/responsibities and pay you the same its not a promotion its a lateral.
why does it happen? all sorts of abuses occur now in labor so common. its comes from american innate hatred of unions.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,096,353 times
Some people at my old job were promoted and never got increases but was happy to have a new job TITLE without the money-LOL

Old 07-10-2009, 03:31 AM

99 posts, read 335,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I don't know if the stories going around my office are true or not. But none of us were given merit increases this year at our normal time and told we could *possibly* get them 6 months later (now). Well, we're not. Incidentally, these increases are written policy. If you get a certain ranking it corresponds to a percent pay increase. We all know times are tough so we just accepted. These raises are performance-based so if the company didn't feel we worth it, they could simply rank us low and then we wouldn't be eligible.

Next thing you know, we hear about a few promotions in our department. So, of course, coworkers start asking if our raises are going through after all since there appears to be money in the budget. We're all told no. Then we're told that the promotions are in name only and don't come with a pay increase. What? I'm thinking they're lying, but not sure. I mean, would people really accept a promotion that involves a lot of extra work and responsibility without extra pay? For that matter, why change the job title and even mention promotions. Why not just give them the work? All of us (who are remaining) have been doing things that aren't remotely part of our job descriptions.

Guess I'm just trying to figure out the new rules that seem to be coming into play.

A lot of places are going this way to help out employees rather than giving them the pink slip or a pay cut...here, you earned a title you were working hard for. Wait it out until things improve, then go back to that question of talkin money or else use that title ladder to get your boost somewhere else if they aren't willing to talk increase by then...that's how I'd think about it

Old 07-10-2009, 10:20 PM

989 posts, read 1,880,023 times
Handing out a title w/o a pay increase is the oldest con game in the world, and it works with a lot of people. People without any sense of self identity feel empty, and need a title to define themselves. A title fills the void. I don't care if my title is "Sandwich Maker"....What is in my paycheck is what counts the most.

Last edited by izannimda; 07-10-2009 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,096,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Handing out a title w/o a pay increase is the oldest con game in the world, and it works with a lot of people. People without any sense of self identity feel empty, and need a title to define themselves. A title fills the void. I don't care if my title is "Sandwich Maker"....What is in my paycheck is what counts the most.

Post of the month

Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,957,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
They're using the economy as an excuse not to pay.
But it's not an excuse, it's real.

Companies are NOT making the money they used to and many are doing well just to break even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment