Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,547,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyButt View Post
Already, during the hiring process, employers use an automated system that looks for key words on a resume. Once employment credit checks are commonplace and automated the job seekers will automatically be ranked by credit score. So even if a person has good credit they'll be at a disadvantage by the virtue of having NO CREDIT HISTORY compared to the higher score of someone with debt who pays in a timely fashion. Like I said, you'd have to incur debt to get a higher score so a bank can say you're a "good person".

That's not cool.
I think that is a lot of assumption. I'd like to see some articles or hear from hiring managers about this. To me it is to weed out people with very bad histories. I'd be surprised if someone with a 700 or an 850 really matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 02:17 PM

65 posts, read 378,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Check your credit report for free three times a year and if you stay on top of it you won't have a problem.
It takes at minimum 30 days to clear a credit report. If you're jobless you'd have to sit on the sidelines until your score is corrected while job opportunities pass you by.

I just think employment credit checks are something that people shouldn't stand for. Especially since the reporting agencies have very little accountability/responsibility if they screw up.

You say it's no big deal, but I know people (white collar professionals) who have a ton of debt due to illness. The thought of them having difficulty finding a job or finding a better one because of their credit disturbs me... greatly.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:34 PM

I should also add that I'm looking to find a job and move to Tampa. I know your job marked is lean, so that means a lot of competition is going on. I want every edge I can get.

You're probably right, a 700 score and an 850 score are in the same ballpark employment-wise, but if an employer had two resumes that are exactly the same qualitatively... which one would be picked?

Old 07-11-2009, 03:31 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,338,048 times
Credit worthiness should ONLY be used for credit cards (which started this horrible trend to begin with)....nothing else in someone life and /or INTEGRITY should ever be judged by their personal credit...ever. Nobody else in the world judges their citizens by their credit worthiness......Someone out of college HAS to get a entry level job and have the opportunity to pay back their loans....and from there work their way up and based on their WORK performance & achievements their future careers should be judged! not by what ever happens in their private life. Someone's private life is exactly that PRIVATE.

A US Citizen life today is completely related to credit at EVERY CORNER and that is JUST WRONG!

Gatornation I don't know if you've ever lived anywhere else in the world or not, but if you haven't nobody judges their citizens by their credit, as a mater of fact credit does exist in other places but it is NOT ABUSED as it is here. For someone to have to keep up with this credit their entire lives here is ridiculous, and as it turns out useless. I was taught by my parents to spend what I make and not someone Else's money.....so I am not interested in this credit what so ever, WHY should I be forced into this vicious circle? when I can have the benefit of buying something with money I have and NOT OWE someone money????????? sure some things are costly like buying a house/car/school loan etc., but the way the credit system evolved here, is completely against citizens and keeps people in debt and poor! which is NOT OK.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:57 PM

Yep. This is a very dangerous situation. Banking and credit institutions exist with ONE purpose... to take money out of our pocket and put it into theirs. There is no good reason why a tool for lending money should be used to judge a persons professional integrity. All this does is allow money institutions to further intertwine themselves into our lives, and into places we don't want or need them. This is something that does NOT have our best intentions in mind.

Activities like this are what is slowly building a financial prison system around American middle class families. If you think this is OK you're either blind or you think you're immune to it's effects... in both cases you're wrong.

Working class poor and middle income households... you'd better keep your alarm set. Because if you sleep through things like this you're going to wake up as someones servant. Hear me now... believe me later.

Act NOW.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:58 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,346,531 times
having never lived above my means and as financial responsibility is important to me i'd love to be able to run a credit check before going out on a date. what a waste of perfectly good dinner money just to find out an hour after the meal is served that your date has atm'd their house.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:59 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,660,536 times
thank you for sharing. we are a slow nation we dont catch on for years to social and legal change.
it took guys 20 years to realize divorce law & credit law had changed.
same with employment law.
reagan was mistaken, debt is not meaningless.it is slavery.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:02 PM

743 posts, read 1,315,394 times
Quote:
There is a simple solution.....don't live beyond your means.

It's pretty obvious that an employer would rather hire someone who is responsible with their money and life as they are a safer bet to be a good employee.
How many people have gone or will go to prison because of money scams? How was their credit?

Old 07-11-2009, 05:21 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,554,317 times
Quote:
I think that is a lot of assumption. I'd like to see some articles or hear from hiring managers about this. To me it is to weed out people with very bad histories. I'd be surprised if someone with a 700 or an 850 really matters.
As far as I know companies only go back 3 years on a credit check.
When I was applying for jobs 3 years ago, no one ran a credit check on me up front. Because you HAVE to sign papers allowing them to do that.
If you didn't sign papers, then the potential employer should be reported.

Most employers will not pay to run a credit report based on an application only (no matter what their deal is with a credit reporting agency) Most employers will call you in for an interview first, most employers will not do the credit/background check until such time they have made the decision to hire you. It costs employers money to do those searches, and they don't do them for every application that comes through the door.

So when the company that I worked for now decided 3 years ago to hire me, I received a letter of intent from them, with salary indicated based on:
1. drug test
2. background check
3. credit check

Only then did they pay for those 3 things to be done.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,547,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Credit worthiness should ONLY be used for credit cards (which started this horrible trend to begin with)....nothing else in someone life and /or INTEGRITY should ever be judged by their personal credit...ever. Nobody else in the world judges their citizens by their credit worthiness......Someone out of college HAS to get a entry level job and have the opportunity to pay back their loans....and from there work their way up and based on their WORK performance & achievements their future careers should be judged! not by what ever happens in their private life. Someone's private life is exactly that PRIVATE.

A US Citizen life today is completely related to credit at EVERY CORNER and that is JUST WRONG!

Gatornation I don't know if you've ever lived anywhere else in the world or not, but if you haven't nobody judges their citizens by their credit, as a mater of fact credit does exist in other places but it is NOT ABUSED as it is here. For someone to have to keep up with this credit their entire lives here is ridiculous, and as it turns out useless. I was taught by my parents to spend what I make and not someone Else's money.....so I am not interested in this credit what so ever, WHY should I be forced into this vicious circle? when I can have the benefit of buying something with money I have and NOT OWE someone money????????? sure some things are costly like buying a house/car/school loan etc., but the way the credit system evolved here, is completely against citizens and keeps people in debt and poor! which is NOT OK.
Again. Lots of assumptions you are making from a general news piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment