Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 PM

14,586 posts, read 23,164,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I gues we'll ahve to agree to disagree. I wouldn't hire anyone who was that careless with their personal affairs to handle mine.
That's your choice. You'll probably miss out on some decent employees though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:56 PM

9,057 posts, read 20,483,289 times
My credit wouldn't stop me at all from getting a job, BUT my personality just might! I can have a very humorous and sometimes sarcastic-arrogant type personality that some folks like/love and others don't. My wife's loves my personality......tells me "at least you're not boring to be around", but my last supervisor didn't like my personality that much and we sometimes "locked horns" about it......but we were nice to each other when we "locked horns"!
One thing to remember, all of these "checkings" done today weren't done some years ago and people were being hired right and left! Yes, there were some problems, but today it seems like a person has to be PERFECT to gain a good salary/employment! I mean, what is next, questions like "Do you smoke?", "Do you drink?", "What kind of tv programs do you watch?" Come On.......people want jobs, not interrogations!!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,401,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My credit wouldn't stop me at all from getting a job, BUT my personality just might! I can have a very humorous and sometimes sarcastic-arrogant type personality that some folks like/love and others don't. My wife's loves my personality......tells me "at least you're not boring to be around", but my last supervisor didn't like my personality that much and we sometimes "locked horns" about it......but we were nice to each other when we "locked horns"!
One thing to remember, all of these "checkings" done today weren't done some years ago and people were being employed right and left! Yes, there were some problems, but today it seems like a person has to have a PERFECT record to gain a good salary/employment!
Move to the NYC area. You would fit in better here than in the "genteel south."

Old 07-13-2009, 02:02 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,123,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I agree. As an Ex-NYer people there have very vibrant personalities. In Vermont it is not appreciated, either. If you are in any way animated, it confuses and annoys people.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:04 PM

9,057 posts, read 20,483,289 times
Yes, but wife and I don't want to use a snow shovel or snowblower ever again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Old 07-14-2009, 08:27 AM

6,606 posts, read 11,365,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's your choice. You'll probably miss out on some decent employees though.
And that's the point. Its the business owners discretion on who they want to hire. You are free to pass on those with perfect scores on the grounds that they may be hiding something.

While there are protected classes defined to make discrimination illegal - an argument can be made that any hiring decisions has some discrimination build into it (be it education, looks, personality, same alma mater, knows the hiring manager's wife etc.).

Bottom line, businesses exist to offer services/products in an effort to make money. They have no obligation to ensure that you, me or the next person all have a job. To be successful, they need to hire who they believe is the best candidate. And if the method they use is flawed, then that's the business's decision.

Labor is an expense. So businesses obviously want to get the most out of their investment. And depending on the state of the economy, they can be very picky. Its simply a matter of supply and demand; like any other product/service. Its much harder to think of it this way because its such an emotional topic... but in the end, when there's 250 people fighting for 1 position, that hiring manager can be very very discriminating. And they have the right to be. Just as you and I have the right to chose which ever car/couch/fridge/plumber/lawyer we want.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:58 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,094,514 times
Am jumping into this a bit late, but I agree with all the other posters that feel that credit should play NO part in hiring someone. I refuse to have someone run my credit all of the time because it is no one's business what assets I have and don't. I made the mistake one time and let a company run my credit I had nothing but jealous co-workers that could tell me how many times I've been married, how many houses I own, and what balance I owe on them. I've also known people to get their identity stolen from giving a company their personal information before they even got the job. When I lived in GA I thought these people were nutts to want to process my credit and when I moved back to CA they started that nonsense up too. I made it clear you can run a background report and check my references other than that get a life.

Running credit for everything is a schem to get people to pay more for just about everything. Now a days millions of people are unemployed and the number will continue to grow throughout the year. They will with no doubt will have ruined credit. You mean to tell me that these people shouldn't be employed because of their credit? That makes no sense and if that makes sense to you, you'd better not complain about paying for welfare or homesless people, your donations better start coming in now. People with perfect credit are some of the biggest crooks out there and if you do a background check this will be found out.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:32 PM

256 posts, read 896,445 times
I think it should be looked at case by case. Even if your credit problems are completely your own fault, that doesn't mean you can't change. I definitely wouldn't make the same mistakes now that I made with my credit 3 years ago.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,796,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
One other thought...if you were the owner of a retail store and about to hire a new employee.

Who would you rather hire. A person with less debt or a person who is almost drowning in his bills and going to be evicted soon, has enormous credit card debt, etc...

Lately many employees have been caught stealing from their job...a lady working at JCPenney stole for over $ 29 K while working at the customer service counter, there are many more stories like that at Walmart (employee let a friend/customer pay $5.- instead of $ 500.-), Target, etc...

The chances that some one who has huge debt is trying to solve his issues in another way is bigger than some one with a stable life....I'm not saying that every one with debt is a criminal, don't get me wrong but working at a cashiers register day after day and being in need of money can be more of a risk......having been an employer I know there is a risk!
So not true. The insurance company where I used to work had a manager who embezzelled $165K. Financially, she was fine (her salary was $90K annually). She used the money to take trips, get plastic surgery, and buy presents for her boyfriend (like cars).

Old 07-20-2009, 03:24 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,166,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Am jumping into this a bit late, but I agree with all the other posters that feel that credit should play NO part in hiring someone. I refuse to have someone run my credit all of the time because it is no one's business what assets I have and don't. I made the mistake one time and let a company run my credit I had nothing but jealous co-workers that could tell me how many times I've been married, how many houses I own, and what balance I owe on them. I've also known people to get their identity stolen from giving a company their personal information before they even got the job. When I lived in GA I thought these people were nutts to want to process my credit and when I moved back to CA they started that nonsense up too. I made it clear you can run a background report and check my references other than that get a life.

Running credit for everything is a schem to get people to pay more for just about everything. Now a days millions of people are unemployed and the number will continue to grow throughout the year. They will with no doubt will have ruined credit. You mean to tell me that these people shouldn't be employed because of their credit? That makes no sense and if that makes sense to you, you'd better not complain about paying for welfare or homesless people, your donations better start coming in now. People with perfect credit are some of the biggest crooks out there and if you do a background check this will be found out.
You should have trusted your gut when it came to filling out the paperwork. You can tell if a company is going to be lax about their confidentiality policies when you are filling out the employment application in the front office, interviewing with the manager, etc. I would have contacted the states employment commission and get some complaints done so this doesn't happen to any more people.
I hope one experience doesn't make a change in whether or not employers conduct credit checks on potential employers.

Overall, I think credit checks should be MANDATORY in positions that involve cash handling or business that involve financial transactions or where fraud or theft of monies can occur. For those folks that have bad credit, they can work in another area of the company.

Employers do have the option of not even bothering to hire you if you do not consent to a credit check. So if your dream job comes knocking and its the greatest opportunity ever, I guess you will have to pass it up because you're still bitter about a past experience that you hould have seen coming but you were sodesperate and blind to the work environment that you just took the job.

Last edited by skeet09; 07-20-2009 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Add some more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment