Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,528,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
As far as I know companies only go back 3 years on a credit check.
When I was applying for jobs 3 years ago, no one ran a credit check on me up front. Because you HAVE to sign papers allowing them to do that.
If you didn't sign papers, then the potential employer should be reported.

Most employers will not pay to run a credit report based on an application only (no matter what their deal is with a credit reporting agency) Most employers will call you in for an interview first, most employers will not do the credit/background check until such time they have made the decision to hire you. It costs employers money to do those searches, and they don't do them for every application that comes through the door.

So when the company that I worked for now decided 3 years ago to hire me, I received a letter of intent from them, with salary indicated based on:
1. drug test
2. background check
3. credit check

Only then did they pay for those 3 things to be done.
Right. They ran a credit check on me AFTER they decided to hire me. There were some older employees that they had to go back to and ask them since it wasn't part of their paperwork when initially hired.

Companies aren't going to make a decision to hire you because your credit score is 100 points below the other guy who didn't have as good of an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,787,895 times
One other thought...if you were the owner of a retail store and about to hire a new employee.

Who would you rather hire. A person with less debt or a person who is almost drowning in his bills and going to be evicted soon, has enormous credit card debt, etc...

Lately many employees have been caught stealing from their job...a lady working at JCPenney stole for over $ 29 K while working at the customer service counter, there are many more stories like that at Walmart (employee let a friend/customer pay $5.- instead of $ 500.-), Target, etc...

The chances that some one who has huge debt is trying to solve his issues in another way is bigger than some one with a stable life....I'm not saying that every one with debt is a criminal, don't get me wrong but working at a cashiers register day after day and being in need of money can be more of a risk......having been an employer I know there is a risk!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:05 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,313,065 times
bentlebee:

Here's the thing: I will look at employment history and do a background check, that would show me if that person had any criminal activity and I am sorry but with so many cameras in these stores, for someone to steal and not being caught, it is SCARY! you can't stole 29k in one day and for her not to be caught, THAT is a store security problem that has nothing to do with my credit!!!!!!!! or her for that matter! I don't believe someone who has THAT MUCH debt will steal 29k to pay it........more like to spend it on something else they can't afford! I don't think that person run and paid her credit card bills with that money! Seriously!

Right now there are a LOT of good people out there that have bad credit for reasons they could NOT control, so why should THEY be thrown in with the rest of the scamer's?

I think that if a store is hiring someone to be a cashier there should be prior employment as that: CASHIER, and not as a dentist or something else.

Background checks are the ones that should tell an employer if someone had stealing problems etc and again, if the store doesn't have reliable security that is NOT the public's fault. In Vegas they will throw out everyone that tries to cheat at those games? how come the accountants in these stores can't count their money? and see what or if something's missing?

Whatever happened to employment references? or those are just fake? and don't really matter?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
bentlebee:

Here's the thing: I will look at employment history and do a background check, that would show me if that person had any criminal activity and I am sorry but with so many cameras in these stores, for someone to steal and not being caught, it is SCARY! you can't stole 29k in one day and for her not to be caught, THAT is a store security problem that has nothing to do with my credit!!!!!!!! or her for that matter! I don't believe someone who has THAT MUCH debt will steal 29k to pay it........more like to spend it on something else they can't afford! I don't think that person run and paid her credit card bills with that money! Seriously!

Right now there are a LOT of good people out there that have bad credit for reasons they could NOT control, so why should THEY be thrown in with the rest of the scamer's?

I think that if a store is hiring someone to be a cashier there should be prior employment as that: CASHIER, and not as a dentist or something else.

Background checks are the ones that should tell an employer if someone had stealing problems etc and again, if the store doesn't have reliable security that is NOT the public's fault. In Vegas they will throw out everyone that tries to cheat at those games? how come the accountants in these stores can't count their money? and see what or if something's missing?

Whatever happened to employment references? or those are just fake? and don't really matter?
And as I mentioned before, none of the numerous studies done have been able to uncover a link between an employees credit standing and their potential to steal from their employer.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:33 PM

65 posts, read 378,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
One other thought...if you were the owner of a retail store and about to hire a new employee.

Who would you rather hire. A person with less debt or a person who is almost drowning in his bills and going to be evicted soon, has enormous credit card debt, etc...

Lately many employees have been caught stealing from their job...a lady working at JCPenney stole for over $ 29 K while working at the customer service counter, there are many more stories like that at Walmart (employee let a friend/customer pay $5.- instead of $ 500.-), Target, etc...

The chances that some one who has huge debt is trying to solve his issues in another way is bigger than some one with a stable life....I'm not saying that every one with debt is a criminal, don't get me wrong but working at a cashiers register day after day and being in need of money can be more of a risk......having been an employer I know there is a risk!
Sure these people you mentioned were caught stealing, but what does that have to do with their credit score. The thieves you mentioned, do you know their FICO score or are you guessing that they were in debt?

bentlebee, every workplace has items that could be stolen and sold if a person were so inclined. What you're saying is that a person with bad credit shouldn't be hired because they might steal property... how in the world would they ever get a job then? You're guaranteeing that they'll drown in debt at that point! The amount of people who can't pay their debt due to personal negligence is much much less than those in debt due to the failure of a business, divorce, illness, or the loss of a job!

If your business fails, you get divorced, you or your spouse becomes ill, or if you go for an extended period without a job and you can't pay your bills, that does NOT increase your penchant for crime. That's ridiculous and unfair to those who are in financial dire straits due to things beyond their control!

You'd be giving financial companies the power to say, "If you don't pay us we could do ALMOST as much damage to your life as a criminal record... Pay me now... OR ELSE" Ever hear of "Debtors Prison?"

Once again, I say a tool for lending money should NOT be used to determine a persons character! If that were the case judges would use it as a determining factor for sentencing if a person were arrested for theft.

Things like this only give banks and financial institutions more leverage over our daily lives. It will make it easier for them to control you and get more money from you.

It's disturbing to hear people being led like sheep by banks regarding things like this. People like the woman being interviewed in the news video, Suzy Orman, and the like... you know they're paid shills from companies, right? Suzy Orman gets money from the people who invented the FICO score! I'm not saying discredit their advice, but look deeper at what they're saying or not saying... they always sing the song, "Sure, assume some debt! Be good and pay those bills, now. Keep doing it, and everything will be sunny. Soon you'll be rich! If you don't pay I'll ridicule you and you'll be poor and unemployed because you let the banks down. Bad consumer!"

Placing such high esteem on money, personal wealth, and finance is exactly what's wrong with our society. The mindset to allow banks to place a value on you as a human based on your finances, and possessions is... Insanity.

Last edited by DustyButt; 07-12-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 01:09 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,242,361 times
Most laws can be looked at in such a way that they SEEM to make sense. However, at the end of the day, they represent a government being manipulative and controlling. I feel we are slowly rationalizing why a once free society where anyone can dream and achieve.....should accept an Indian Caste System.

Are we supposed to accept the dot or is it time we draw a line in the sand and say NO!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,782,332 times
You can "freeze" your credit report and nobody can look at it until you "unfreeze" it using a PIN number.

Consumerist - How To Freeze Your Credit Report - Fico

Old 07-12-2009, 02:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyButt View Post
Really?

So, lemme get this straight...

Company "X" puts damaging and INCORRECT info on your credit report. And as we all should know, the reporting agencies take their sweet time (and could honestly care less) about resolving an issue like this in a timely manner. If you were out of work, had an interview, and did well... BUT were not hired because of your credit report, you'd be OK with it?
A single negative isn't going to keep you from getting a job. And a simple dispute form will change the engative toa neutral pending investigation.

Quote:
What kind of never ending cycle would this set up? Someone has a poor credit score due to unemployment, then they can't get a job to correct their credit score because they have a poor credit score.

Let's say a spouse gets ill and you get saddled with heavy amounts of debt and get into a financial bind (which happens to hundreds of thousands of people a year)... then you lose your job... Then what? You can't get a job because of your credit score AND you have a sick spouse!

Another thing... This sets up the rich, not just those who have good credit. The rich and well off will have automatic "dibs" at a job because they will always have superior credit scores.

Did you know that truly wealthy people don't even have credit scores?
They have a separate FICO system set up for wealthy celebrities and those who make 10s of millions of dollars per year. The financial rules that the common man has to follow doesn't even apply to the wealthy! Lending and banking institutions have people that are on call 24/7 who's sole duty is to OK credit transactions of the wealthy no matter where they are, no matter what time it is. Literally, when Joe Billionaire requests a line of credit who ever is processing their request gets a code from the credit reporting agency informing them to call, on the other line there's a person who then simply gives the nod. No score, no list of friends required, no family contact info, no employment history... nothing. Meantime, you and I have to fill out an application, and wait for approval, and sometimes (if the approval agency is closed) we have to wait until business hours the next day.
Total BS. The credit agencies are all computerized, they don't close. There is no seperate redit scoring system for celebrities or super rich. I've never had to wait more than the time it takes to type in the info and click send for credit approval.

Quote:
Do you realize that this sets up a situation that would REQUIRE getting credit cards and assuming debt in order to get a job! This is essentially saying that you have to pay a bank monthly interest in order for them to say that you're a "good person"!
Again total nonesense. My son is 23, has a no annual fee visa card. he uses it monthly charging everyday items and pays it off each month. He's neve rpaid a dime of interest on it. I've never paid interest on my cards either. You won't if you don't use it to live beyond your means. My brother doesn't have a credit card (by choice) but has a mortgage and just took a car loan. He had the job before he got either.

Quote:
I haven't used a credit card or accrued debt (other than a car payment) in 12 years. My credit score is OK but not perfect... why? Because I have virtually no credit history. So I suppose that I'm irresponsible with my money, huh.

Don't be a fool for the banks and the rich greedy cats that are working hard to get YOUR money.
I haven't paid a dime of interest other than my mortgage in years. I'm just not so sure what you are talking about--actually I think you're the one whose not sure what they are talking about now that I think about it.

And if I was an employer hiring someone in a cash handling or check authorizing position, you betcha I'd want to see their credit. Someone like you would have no reason not to be hired. Employers aren't looking for credit scores, they are looking for people who aren't drowning in debt and pay their bills on time. I know, I used to be the one to run credit checks on new hires at my last job.

Stop drinking the koolaid and get your facts straight. I don't know why I even bothered to respond to this post it was so laughable.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:30 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And as I mentioned before, none of the numerous studies done have been able to uncover a link between an employees credit standing and their potential to steal from their employer.
While it's far from a large case study, I can tell you that at my last job we had a number of employee thefts--all of the dumbasses were caught on video or through other means and prosecuted, and all but one was having significant financial problems. Once we started to run credit checks and not hiring people who had terrible credit--I'm not talking about someone who had missed a payment or two on their credit cards in the past couple years, I'm talking judgements, rolling lates, collection accounts (other than medical), people who were up to their eyeballs in debt and hadn't paid anything on time ever types--we had exactly one theft in 12 months.

Like I said, someone who had made a late payment or two, or had a medical collection for a couple hundred dollars that they quite possibly didn't even know about we had no problem with that.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:50 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,581,372 times
This is just terrible.

Why would they judge your skills based on credit? You are there to work-not to be spied on by your worker. You need money to pay off your bills and raise your credit score!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment