Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,062,221 times

Advertisements

I am a legal assistant now and have started thinking about switching and going to school to become a paralegal. But school is 28,000 for two years at Sanford Brown so I want to know what the differences are and if it will be worth it. So what I am wanting to know is what exactly do you do at your job, how much do you make, and do you like your job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
In many law firms the two terms are interchangeable. I know that they shouldn't be, but the reality is that they are. Frankly I wouldn't spend that type of money to get a paralegal degree.

If you really want the degree, most community colleges offer an AA in paralegal studies for about $5K total--sometimes less.

I'm also hearing that there are so many out of work lawyers and recent law school grads who can't find jobs that they are getting many of the paralegal jobs.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 PM

114 posts, read 340,358 times
paralegal here. and yes, just like attorney and lawyer, legal assistant and paralegal or usually interchangeable.

I agree with annerk. I wouldn't shell out that much money. I know of a class that is around $2000 for a 6 month course that gives you a certificate and allows you to sit for the CLE, which is about $300 - so you can become a certified paralegal/legal assistant for about $2300 in 6 months or so.

as someone that's been in the legal field since I was 16 and a paralegal since I was 21, I have to ask how long you've been a paralegal/legal assistant. I'm trying to get out of the field (too long of a story) and I would like to know what makes you want to move into a paralegal role.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:00 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,062,221 times
Where did you find the 6-month classes at? I checked the c. college and the tech schools and none have anything that fast. But I have been an office asst. for a few years and a legal asst. for 3. And I want to move more into a paralegal role in a real law office because I really do like what I do and I think I'm good at it. Plus where I work now the pay really sucks but I'm worried I wont get in a real law office w/o some sort of formal training.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:29 PM

^^^
best of luck to you. I don't know what kind of law you're in, but this profession has totally zapped me.

the program I'm talking about is offered at Belhaven in Jackson, MS

Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,508,547 times
hoe do I become a paralegal?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:34 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,479,615 times
Lord have Mercy, don't spend that kind of money for a paralegal certificate. What a total waste. Around here there is absolutely no difference between a Legal Assistant and a Paralegal. None. Same job, different titles. Some firms use one term and others use the other. Makes no difference. Are you really more of a Legal Secretary or something?

I would never advise anyone to become a paralegal or legal assistant. It's a horrible career choice.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
hoe do I become a paralegal?
Go to community college and get an AA in Paralegal Studies, do an internship, and then get a job.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Lord have Mercy, don't spend that kind of money for a paralegal certificate. What a total waste. Around here there is absolutely no difference between a Legal Assistant and a Paralegal. None. Same job, different titles. Some firms use one term and others use the other. Makes no difference. Are you really more of a Legal Secretary or something?

I would never advise anyone to become a paralegal or legal assistant. It's a horrible career choice.
MTE!!! plain and simple!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,871,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I am a legal assistant now and have started thinking about switching and going to school to become a paralegal. But school is 28,000 for two years at Sanford Brown so I want to know what the differences are and if it will be worth it. So what I am wanting to know is what exactly do you do at your job, how much do you make, and do you like your job?
I'd be vary wary of doing such a program unless you are sponsored by your employer or can do it at very low cost.

The legal profession is hit really hard by the recession. Paralegals make the lawyers work more efficient because they handle a lot of the time consuming stuff and lets the lawyers concentrate work that they can bill clients at a high rate. Well, that work has really dried up and lawyers are scrambling to find work to do and don't really need paralegals to make their work more efficient. The end result is that law firms are laying off paralegals and other staffers like crazy. It's so bad right now, just about every firm is even laying off attorneys and some have started de-equitizing partners.

It's not a good time to be a paralegal. Even if a firm is doing well, there are a ton of unemployed attorneys out there that would be willing to do quasi-legal work for low pay on a contract basis. So you have to compete with both paralegals, unemployed lawyers, and recent law schools graduates. It isn't a pretty situation unless you have contacts or people you know that highly value your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment