Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,484,231 times

Advertisements

I've been working at my job for 2 1/2 years and I absolutely HATE it!! I dread having to go to work everyday but, in this economy, I can't just quit and hope something better comes along.

My plan is to get out of there by the end of this year. However, in the meantime, I have to brush up on skills, etc since I haven't used any marketable skills in many years. The only skill my current job requires is a pulse.

I gave up my career (paralegal) when I had my daughter 11 years ago. I'm thinking of possibly going back into that field but I have no clue what software programs they're using now ('back in the day' we never used them). I've also been thinking about marketing, but am wondering if I'm too old (48) to start a brand new career.

Can anyone give me any advice, input, or anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,871,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I gave up my career (paralegal) when I had my daughter 11 years ago. I'm thinking of possibly going back into that field but I have no clue what software programs they're using now
This shouldn't be too hard. Can you find one person, a friend, or acquaintance, old school buddy, who is working in that field now, and can explain what the working environment is like and what tools/programs/norms are being used? Maybe connect on Linked In with someone? A professional organization, it's regional office and talk on the phone with an active working member? You might be able to knock this out in a few minutes then get a hold of the software and practice. Online courses if there are new software tools.

Bigger issue: what is the hiring environment like? Even if you had the skills and experience, are there jobs?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,465,577 times
Googling "paralegal job description" returned a wealth of info, including interview with a paralegal recruiter, - by the look of things, they don't really use any specialized software (maybe legal databases) - more of the general ability to research. Job prospects look good, too.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,484,231 times
Thanks for the paralegal info..... I'm a little "eh" on going back into that field.

I really need something new. I've spent the last 11 years working jobs that I don't like, feeling like my brain is turning into mush, and that I'm just existing --- no excitement, not looking forward to going to work, no sense of accomplishment, no satisfaction whatsoever at the end of the day --- just on auto-pilot and making a wage.

Does anyone think 48 is too old to embark on a new career path?? I would love to get into marketing. Would I need to go back to college for this? Would I need a 4 year degree?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,127,573 times
You'd probably need a four year degree and internship to be competitive for entry level marketing jobs. (That's my primary field.)

As far as the paralegal goes, you might be able to get a law firm to allow you to do a three month "internship" so you could learn the new software and any changes in rules of court that have happened. There are a lot of one day CLE conferences you can attend that are generally pretty affordable, I would think having a handful of recent ones on your resume would probably help as well.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,280,358 times
Quote:
Thanks for the paralegal info..... I'm a little "eh" on going back into that field.

I really need something new. I've spent the last 11 years working jobs that I don't like, feeling like my brain is turning into mush, and that I'm just existing --- no excitement, not looking forward to going to work, no sense of accomplishment, no satisfaction whatsoever at the end of the day --- just on auto-pilot and making a wage.

Does anyone think 48 is too old to embark on a new career path?? I would love to get into marketing. Would I need to go back to college for this? Would I need a 4 year degree?
Since 67 is the age to collect full benefits from social security, I'd say 48 isn't too old for a career change. I really don't think there should be a cap on when to change ones life. Go for it. A happier you will result in a healhier you. Much luck!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,801,001 times
You're never too old for a career change if that's what you want to do or if it's what you have to do. A free "internship" is certainly one way to get back into the old career but you might try evening classes at a community college to see if there is a field you might really like. There are plenty of careers that can be started with a 2 year degree and certificate.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,871,575 times
Quote:
Does anyone think 48 is too old to embark on a new career path??
Assuming you already have five years experience:

Do you think getting paid what a 28 year old makes is too low assuming you and he have the same experience? Meaning, if you hired on into a company and the 28 year old with five years experience was making $45K and a 48 year old there with 25 years was making $85K, would you be cool making $45K too?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:23 PM

8,074 posts, read 10,670,394 times
PLEASE do not think you are too old to embardk on a new career path! I'm just one year older than you, just turned 49, and I'm in my second semester of college, while working full-time (trying to get out of my dead-end retail management job eventually).

You are definitely NOT too old to change career paths. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 PM

11,323 posts, read 18,943,712 times
In the "career change to teaching" program I was in last summer, the median age of all 125 of us was my age (41 at the time). In fact, in my immediate subject group (middle school math), I was the 2nd YOUNGEST of the 13 of us, most were between 45-55, and 2 members were over 60 (one of whom has a full teaching job now)!

So go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment