Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:06 PM

36 posts, read 152,467 times

Advertisements

I will be homeless in a month or so. Due to loss of job back in June and not able to find work that will pay the bills. I held on as long as I could.

If you are homeless is there job help available for those willing to take it?
I don't care how low pay the job, just anything. My biggest fear is being homeless for the long run. I only intend to be homeless for no longer the a few days. How quickly does it take to find work if you are homeless? I know sometimes people view the homeless as lazy, but is that because they truly are or is it because no one will give them a chance?

I org had plans to move to another State to better myself, until I lost my job where I am and since I did not live in the State I wanted to move to, I think that is why I have not had any interviews. So not only am I stuck in a non productive State, I am now jobless and soon to be homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,523,734 times
If you lost your job in June, then you should be receiving your unemployment unless you were denied that?

If you ARE receiving unemployment perhaps you could move to a smaller place, downsize and cut back. That is what most do. The ESC in your State should be able to assist you with job search and placement assistance.

I do wish you luck...

Old 09-02-2009, 01:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
Kally, contact the resources in your state and ask for help. Talk with a social worker. There are usually some on staff at some of the shelters. Look into the local shelters and YWCA type places.

We have a large homeless population in Las Vegas and I read recently that MOST of them do work. They just don't have enough money to get off the street.

I hope you find a safe place to stay till you can get things sorted out. Of course, talk to friends and relatives and ask for help too. Anything to avoid being on the street.

Good luck!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
If you lost your job in June, then you should be receiving your unemployment unless you were denied that?

If you ARE receiving unemployment perhaps you could move to a smaller place, downsize and cut back. That is what most do. The ESC in your State should be able to assist you with job search and placement assistance.

I do wish you luck...
Yes I was denied that to *sigh*. I am already living in an effecientcy apt and from what I have researched one of those weekly motel stays will cost me more then what I am paying now. What does ESC stand for? I will def check into that. Thank you.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:43 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
It seems to me social service steps in to help when it is too late. While I don't suggest everyone run out and get food stamps or help with medical or heat, a lot of these agencies want you to be VERY down and out and keep you that way in order for you to get help.

We applied for heating help because bills for oil/heat in Vermont are horrible in the dead of winter...can YOU come up with $300 extra when you have to? Our complex MAKES us use their oil supplier and we have no say about shopping around so if they raise it sky high we have to pay...

OP, try going to your local Social Services or Job Center (check out the phone book under state agencies). There may be a shelter or low income apartment or room they will help you find.

I am sorry you are having this trouble.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Kally, contact the resources in your state and ask for help. Talk with a social worker. There are usually some on staff at some of the shelters. Look into the local shelters and YWCA type places.

We have a large homeless population in Las Vegas and I read recently that MOST of them do work. They just don't have enough money to get off the street.

I hope you find a safe place to stay till you can get things sorted out. Of course, talk to friends and relatives and ask for help too. Anything to avoid being on the street.

Good luck!
Thank you so much. Even if it not enough money, there have to be sometype of income based housing that will help me. I don't have any children so I hope I can still get help.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It seems to me social service steps in to help when it is too late. While I don't suggest everyone run out and get food stamps or help with medical or heat, a lot of these agencies want you to be VERY down and out and keep you that way in order for you to get help.

We applied for heating help because bills for oil/heat in Vermont are horrible in the dead of winter...can YOU come up with $300 extra when you have to? Our complex MAKES us use their oil supplier and we have no say about shopping around so if they raise it sky high we have to pay...

OP, try going to your local Social Services or Job Center (check out the phone book under state agencies). There may be a shelter or low income apartment or room they will help you find.

I am sorry you are having this trouble.
Thank you so much, right now I have been reading all of this and researching contact info while I still can (have internet connection). I guess I never really thought about any of those services,because I had no need for them before now.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,376,554 times
I don't mean to sound callous here, but food and shelter come before internet connections.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 PM

754 posts, read 1,923,515 times
When/if you lose the internet connection - go to the local public library. Also, take advantage of any Career Centers sponsored by your state. They will allow you to search job boards at their offices.

I meant to say, I am sorry that you are going through this and I will send good thoughts and hope your way!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:24 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,523,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kally View Post
Yes I was denied that to *sigh*. I am already living in an effecientcy apt and from what I have researched one of those weekly motel stays will cost me more then what I am paying now. What does ESC stand for? I will def check into that. Thank you.

I am sorry that you are having a tough time...
ESC=Employment Security Commision...I know here in NC they seem to be helpful.

Hang in there and don't give up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment