Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times

Advertisements

Last November, I had a bad review. Then my supervisor went bananas on me for three months. Then we had a meeting with my supervisor and my manager with a laundry list of things I'm doing wrong.

This week (a month later) we had another meeting with the three of us, and I was given a memo that would go into my personnel file.

Company policy is that you get one write-up followed by a final write-up, though it doesn't say that the final means you're terminated immediately, or if the final is your last chance, to be terminated later if you don't improve.

I asked if I could add a note to my own file and was told no. I think it's ridiculous, but I don't make the rules.

My supervisor hates me and wrote that I "argued" with her, when in fact I was asking questions because I was trying to understand what she wanted me to do. Asking questions is not arguing! Her response to my question was "you should know what to do". Idiot, if I knew what to do, I wouldn't be asking any questions!

I stayed up all night long to get this stupid work done (I work in an office which is dead after 7 PM). I've done lots of other things right. None of those are recognized. I'm not an attention *****, but if I'm told of all these things I'm doing wrong and nothing else, I should assume I can't do anything right.

I've worked at crappy minimum-wage jobs, but never have I had such low work ethic. I don't care about my job anymore, and the only reason I work there is because I need a paycheck. I've been looking for a job for the last three months and have come up with nothing. The job market seems worse now than it was in 2009 when I was unemployed.

OK, rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
My boss has been on my case lately, too. I've always been my own supervisor, but three weeks ago it was announced that a coworker of mine (in a completely different department) was now my supervisor. Ever since, she's been relaying things to him about my work--things that she thinks I'm doing wrong, when in fact, I've been doing them perfectly correct.

Almost daily I have an email in my inbox from him asking into deep detail why I do or don't do certain things. I write back almost instantaneously, because I have nothing to hide. I didn't get employee of the quarter last year for nothing. I'm a hard worker and I have free time because I get my work done efficiently. Apparently they think I must be doing something wrong because I'm not glued to my desk 24/7 like everyone else.

This morning I had an email from him in my inbox about a customer complaint about me. Turns out, the customer had mistakenly listed my department (me) as the culprit, but in fact it was another department and another employee who had created the error. I guess they just needed someone to pin it on.

My point to all of this is, a majority of workplaces SUCK these days. Employee morale is at an all time low, productivity is down, and bosses and supervisors have more to deal with than ever. Don't take it personal--they're under just as much stress as you are, if not more. It sucks, I know, but keep doing your job--if they hated you they would have been rid of you long ago.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Last November, I had a bad review. Then my supervisor went bananas on me for three months. Then we had a meeting with my supervisor and my manager with a laundry list of things I'm doing wrong.

This week (a month later) we had another meeting with the three of us, and I was given a memo that would go into my personnel file.

Company policy is that you get one write-up followed by a final write-up, though it doesn't say that the final means you're terminated immediately, or if the final is your last chance, to be terminated later if you don't improve.

I asked if I could add a note to my own file and was told no. I think it's ridiculous, but I don't make the rules.

My supervisor hates me and wrote that I "argued" with her, when in fact I was asking questions because I was trying to understand what she wanted me to do. Asking questions is not arguing! Her response to my question was "you should know what to do". Idiot, if I knew what to do, I wouldn't be asking any questions!

I stayed up all night long to get this stupid work done (I work in an office which is dead after 7 PM). I've done lots of other things right. None of those are recognized. I'm not an attention *****, but if I'm told of all these things I'm doing wrong and nothing else, I should assume I can't do anything right.

I've worked at crappy minimum-wage jobs, but never have I had such low work ethic. I don't care about my job anymore, and the only reason I work there is because I need a paycheck. I've been looking for a job for the last three months and have come up with nothing. The job market seems worse now than it was in 2009 when I was unemployed.

OK, rant over.
Oh, man I went through that in 1983-1984 when I worked for a certain big insurance company. The assistant supervisor who was directly over me was a total tyrant and she decided to hate me because her friend was interviewed but did not get the job I was hired for. I would ask her questions so I would not make any mistakes and she would get real nasty with me and say she had told me I asked the same question for the umpteeth time. Truth to be told she would never explain things to me properly in the first place and plus I was overwhelmed with too much work that it would be impossible to get it done correctly by one person in a timely manner. There was a policy at the company if you would miss a day for whatever reason you would get 2 points against you. If you accrued 6 points within a 6 month period you would get a verbal warning. 8 points would mean a written warning and 10 points meant you were on probation. More than that, you were out the door and that included MAJOR ILLNESSES with a DOCTOR'S VERIFICATION! It was the same procedure for other reasons such as not being able to catch up with your work, making too many mistakes ( no matter how minor they were) etc. Well , I ended up being out sick for 3 days and was put on verbal warning. However I did improve and was able to get off VW. One day , this woman had called me in for a private meeting and had given me "tips" on how to improve my work and pick up my speed. . I kept trying to tell her that I was extremely overloaded but she would not hear of it. At this meeting I was not told I would be put on verbal warning for my performance. About a month later she handed me a letter and it was a written warning. I asked her about what about the verbal warning first and she claimed that the earlier meeting was the VW. I told her that I was never told of a VW and she accused me of lying. She harass me , pull me off tasks I was working on to do something else and then she would yell at me in front of everyone because I did not complete the original assignment! One time she physically assaulted me in the office by poking me very hard on the shoulder. This spoiled little creep was only 21 years old at the time and had absolutely NO skills in dealing with people. She got the job through her mother who was a longtime employee at the company and Mommy seemed to have alot of clout. Things had gotten so bad for me there that I had to beg the main supervisor to lay me off. She felt bad enough for me that she finally laid me off so I could have some income by collecting unemployment( I was eligible). When I came back to collect my final paycheck , I was told that TWO people were hired in my place to do my job! I know exactly what you are going through and IMHO that is called employee abuse!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,610 times
I went through that at my last company. My boss went through a divorce and then suddenly started nitpicking everything I did, micromanaging. She started excluding me from things. Then I'd get in trouble because I hadn't been given information, but nobody would listen to me. They were on her side. Eventually she somehow convinced upper management I was worthless, even though I had been doing 75% of the work while she did hardly anything, and even though I had excellent reviews for the past 3 years and a raise every year. And even though all my coworkers said I did excellent work. I was fired with no notice, no warning, nothing. And she didn't even have the guts to do it, she sent her manager in. This is why I am unemployed today. I think it's good that you have started looking for another job...I had, but I hadn't found anything. I've been out of work 6 months now.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:17 PM

95 posts, read 141,128 times
Have you ever seen Fight Club the movie? I like the part when the main character leaves his job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2fD...eature=related

pretty extreme!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 AM

13 posts, read 51,330 times
Whatever you do don't sign the write up or make any notes on it. I went through the same thing in 2008 before I was laid off along with others who were laid off. It seems in retrospect that it was a systematic downsizing - but at the time it drove me crazy because all of my reviews up until that point were great.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1
I've done lots of other things right.
None of those are recognized.
It doesn't matter what you accomplished in the past.

If your skills no longer align with what the company needs right now, they will
find a way to get rid of you. All these warnings and write-ups are just a way
to show that you were dismissed "for cause" so that they cannot be sued.

Of course, it works both ways. If the company you work for
no longer "aligns with what you need right now" then you are
also free to leave - even if they need you right now.

These are all reasons that people should live frugally and not get tied up
with car payments and other forms of slavery that make you inflexible.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 AM

4,585 posts, read 4,272,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
If your skills no longer align with what the company needs right now, they will
find a way to get rid of you. All these warnings and write-ups are just a way
to show that you were dismissed "for cause" so that they cannot be sued.
So so true, it happened where I used to work all the time until they found the 'right fit'.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
I asked my boss if I could put a written reply in my personnel file and was told "no". I went to HR and was told that I certainly could provide a written response. Here is what I wrote:

I would like to take this opportunity to respond to the Written Counseling Memo dated xx. There are a couple of issues that I believe need to be addressed concerning the evaluation of my performance.

In the memo it is stated that on xx I was given an assignment of completing manual calculations for xyz and this was due on y. I will acknowledge that I did take longer than normal to complete these calculations, however it needs to be noted that the reason the manual calculations for the xyz were not calculations I had done before. It took me longer to do them because I needed assistance to complete them but was refused that assistance.

Many of the issues you addressed are related to the completion of the 123 calculations. Again it needs to be noted that on the evening of xy, I asked the supervisor for assistance in completing a 123 calculation. The supervisor refused to answer my questions and lectured me on how I should know by now what a 123 is. When I replied that I already know what a 123 is, but I needed some help on completing this particular calculation, it was met with a response that I was arguing. In my opinion that is not ‘arguing’, that is asking for assistance. With no assistance, I completed the calculation to the best of my ability and returned it to the supervisor for review. She found an error and again lectured me on how I should have known that number was incorrect. With insufficient training or assistance I don’t doubt that a number could have been incorrect; however with proper training and assistance incorrect calculations could be drastically reduced. To show my willingness to complete the tasks as assigned without training or assistance from the supervisor, I stayed up all night on xy to complete the 123 calculations.

It is very difficult for me to able to make deadlines when I have to figure out something from scratch when the answer could be given to me in five seconds, along with an optional explanation that might take two minutes. Whenever I try and seek assistance, the supervisor constantly interrupts me to lecture me on the minutiae of unimportant matters and rarely provides the guidance and instruction I need to complete the task at hand.

My understanding from the written counseling memo is that my performance needs to improve. I would like it noted that I am very willing to improve my performance in a way that is satisfactory to DEF. Getting to that level of performance will be significantly quicker and easier if I am provided with both adequate training and assistance, something I have not received to date.

Working on abc is not new to me; that being said I am sure you will agree that each bbb and each ddd calculation is unique. Understanding the uniqueness of the x and y I work on is best achieved in a positive, mentoring environment with adequate training and support. I look forward to receiving that assistance and working in such an environment here at DEF from this point forward.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
There are so many retards in management positions. So so many.
Research 'workplace mobbing' AKA: idiocy at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment