Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My thoughts on this are:
Yes. They try to cover, excuse, or diminish discrimination/hostility with the excuse of "personality conflict" and "work place task issues". 19 79.17%
No. Never. It is far more likely that personality conflicts and work place tasks are the problem. 3 12.50%
I have different views that I will address online. 0 0%
As a supervisor or manager I prefer civility for everyone and every matter should be addressed with care. 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,057,725 times

Advertisements

This makes me think about Bullying in school -which is finally being talked about and somewhat addressed.

Same thing. Bullying should not be allowed in schools, either.

Do you think that if children were actually taught, starting in grade school, how to treat other people in a diverse world tht it would make a difference?
Regardless of what kind of homes children are brought up in, when you come to school, this is how you behave. It would teach children right from wrong and social etiquette. Of course, that also means teachers would have to model the behavior that they expect the children to learn...

We're not talking about "political correctness" here. It's about treating other people the way you want to be treated and learning that hostility is simply not acceptable.

It really is an issue that should be addressed and that could dramatically change our society.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-19-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 03:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,991,745 times
I remember seeing a lot of condoned hostility in grade school. The excuse was kids will be kids or "Oh they are just trying to be your friend" and "Why didn't you say anything earlier. Don't just sit there". The same excuses are used in work and college from what I have seen .

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
This makes me think about Bullying in school -which is finally being talked about and somewhat addressed.

Same thing. Bullying should not be allowed in schools, either.

Do you think that if children were actually taught, starting in grade school, how to treat other people in a diverse world tht it would make a difference?
Regardless of what kind of homes children are brought up in, when you come to school, this is how you behave. It would teach children right from wrong and social etiquette. Of course, that also means teachers would have to model the behavior that they expect the children to learn...

We're not talking about "political correctness" here. It's about treating other people the way you want to be treated and learning that hostility is simply not acceptable.

It really is an issue that should be addressed and that could dramatically change our society.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,128,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are you currently having a problem with workplace hostility? Or are you anticipating a problem?

No workplace is ever a 100% lovefest. Because of the usual competitive nature of the work environment and everyone wanting promotions, bonuses or raises, there is always some cattiness and backstabbing. And if there are men and women around, there will also be elements of a soap opera.
And it's a sad state of affairs when the business world has degenerated into high-school antics. These are ADULTS for goodness sakes. Civilized, mature adults shouldn't be acting like children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
I agree. It's not realistic to expect a work place to be all huggy and loving with each other, but it's not reasonable to expect everyone to act civil and maturely while at work. Personal problems and conflict of personality needs to be dealt with outside the work place. If it's work related either learn to communicate with each other or take it up with your superior. It's just unprofessional to act like a bunch of bickering children.

Kind of contradictory don't you think? It's totally realistic to expect everyone at a workplace to act civil and mature. I don't know what kind of job you work at but at my job, we don't play that high-school crap. If anyone came on my job with that juvenile nonsense, they would be looked at like fools as to say "How old are you, seriously?" You don't have to like your co-workers but you are expected to be respectful and civil towards them. Any sensible supervisor/management team will agree to this.

My mom was a victim of constant harassment at her last job. Most of it was an ethnic thing, but because she had no other job options she dealt with it. Years of working at the place really screwed with her head.
That's sad....I don't know what to say. Could she have reported that kind of harrassment to superiors or were they in on it as well?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 AM

Default Teaching people how to treat other people....

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I remember seeing a lot of condoned hostility in grade school. The excuse was kids will be kids or "Oh they are just trying to be your friend" and "Why didn't you say anything earlier. Don't just sit there". The same excuses are used in work and college from what I have seen .
I was enrolled in Early Childhood Education classes many years ago.

I had several teachers in my classes that had been working already and who were taking classes to fulfill their "continuing education" requirement.
As a newcomer, I watched and listened to them trying to decide if this was a field that I wanted to pursue.

I figured out pretty quickly that teaching is a highly competitive field. I observed the way they treated others in our class.
I eventually decided that teaching wasn't my cup of tea.

Learning how to treat others starts at home, it's continued in school and it's carried on to the workplace.
Teachers need to realize that children are watching what they do and how they treat people.
The children that they have in their classes are passively learning from watching their behavior -- probably as much as or more than from the things they are "teaching".

There really is a need to learn social etiquette in our country. Social etiquette should be a requirement in the workplace - IMO.

In the current economy, it seems that people have gotten meaner in the workplace.
Hostility seems to be acceptable in the good old "dog eat dog" American marketplace ... but does it help or harm business?
Are businesses so blind to believe that the consumer isn't effected by it?

It was necessary to pass laws to protect some groups from workplace harrassment.
Even needing to protect those groups is really a sad statement about workplace behavior in our country.
It seems those laws need to be extended to all people. Apparently people just don't know that workplace hostility and harrassment is inappropriate.

No one has the right to treat another human being with disrespect.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-20-2010 at 08:01 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 01:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I recently had a discussion with a human resources director in which she was telling me that workplace hostility/harassment is okay if it is work related or a personality conflict. Now my fear and annoyance is that I got the hint that they were using that as a cover/defense for workplace discrimination/hostility. She said that they wanted to turn everything around and see it through a personality conflict or work task problem than escalate it to a discrimination complaint. I would think it would have to be dependent on the individual complaining and not the human resources office.

Your thoughts?
It depends on what kind of complaint it is.

You can't really force people to like each other and that's not what they're being paid to do. Is it clearly an issue of discrimination of some kind?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:58 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,904,326 times
When I was at a workplace two years ago, my boss's nutty behavior drove me to use the Employee Assistance Program for counseling (though I'm 100% convinced she could have used some herself.).

Then I used to read this website and not feel so bad about my particular situation.

Office-Politics

Old 02-20-2010, 06:50 PM

I noticed another user's Status today. It was part of a quote from Hemingway.

It made me think of this thread.

Quote:
"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills.
It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."

Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929
US author & journalist (1899 - 1961)

Old 02-07-2012, 07:37 PM
CRL

1 posts, read 801 times
I had a job that I absolutely used to love, but not anymore. I am a female and there is one woman who I work with that is moody and takes it out on the patrons and her co-workers. I believe I am the only person who has ever stood up to her because I know my worth as an individual and refuse to tolerate that type of treatment from anyone.

I'm not sure exactly what her issue is, but it is NO excuse to treat anyone like a doormat. This woman is EXTREMELY lazy and has been at our library for over 10 yrs. I've confronted her stood up to her the last 2 times in which she extended an apology to me but she has NOT changed her behavior in anyway. I'm going to let her know that I will NO LONGER tolerate her abuse and let her know that she will be reported for workplace hostility if her behavior continues (she will get one warning only) and then I will make good on my word.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 PM

83 posts, read 232,583 times
Be careful reporting her; I tried to report about some issues at my job(I was an RN at a state prison in WI) and instead of management addressing the issues, they fired me on false "work rule violations". I had been there almost five years without EVER having been in any trouble. There are not any laws about what constitutes hostility. They will just use the "personality conflict" excuse. And to make things worse, I think they were giving me bad references b/c it took me months to find another job (in another state). I had an excellent work history and reviews all my life and suddenly I couldn't even find a part time job as a nurse, when there is a nursing shortage. I don't even know if I will stay in nursing after all this.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,409,754 times
I worked with a backstabbing psycho bully from hell! I was told that she was "mentoring" me, and giving me "constructive" feedback to improve my performance, and I was just too full of myself to learn from her valuable knowledge. Buffalo Chips!

Believe me, I know the difference between a "personality conflict", and working with a person who has a DSM personality disorder! Bunch of horse droppings.

Yes, they try to pretty it all up...it protects them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment