Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I should put this here or in the parents' section.

I just got back from my son's school and I am once again appalled at how rude the office staff (or people who 'hang in the office') are when I go to drop off food or something for school events.

First off, they say you need a pass to go through the building but at 7:30 they have the 'office window' locked up so you have to use the door to the office (The mere fact they 'lock themselves away' is a joke in itself. We live in a very safe area and all the elementary schools have an open main office policy but this middle school is like Fort Knox).

Okay, so the window is locked and the 'staff' refuses to open it or acknowledge me at all (so I can get this pass to go to my son's class).

So I use the door and get 4 or 5 people GLARING at me. I just say I need to drop off X at my son's class (he cannot carry it...it's a casserole). One woman barely nods at me..They continue their conversation.

This has happened a few times. Sometimes we have to leave items at the Main Office for events. Again, it's always 'lock up' mode and 4-6 people just sitting around. No one says Good morning or hello or may I help you?

I'm all for security but it's the rude attitude that I can't stand.

We never had any problems with the elementary staff who are kind and open and welcoming. This year the 'attitude' is so 'offish' that I will not regret when we move and take our son out of this school.

I do drop him off before school and maybe they are 'annoyed' that they are 'being bothered' before hours but STILL...

It's just incredulous to me how some people have such poor manners (I think it is a BIG thing here).
Yet, they have jobs...good ones with raises every year....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

I just got back from my son's school and I am once again appalled at how rude the office staff (or people who 'hang in the office') are when I go to drop off food or something for school events.

First off, they say you need a pass to go through the building but at 7:30 they have the 'office window' locked up so you have to use the door to the office (The mere fact they 'lock themselves away' is a joke in itself. We live in a very safe area and all the elementary schools have an open main office policy but this middle school is like Fort Knox).

Okay, so the window is locked and the 'staff' refuses to open it or acknowledge me at all (so I can get this pass to go to my son's class).

So I use the door and get 4 or 5 people GLARING at me. I just say I need to drop off X at my son's class (he cannot carry it...it's a casserole). One woman barely nods at me..They continue their conversation.

This has happened a few times. Sometimes we have to leave items at the Main Office for events. Again, it's always 'lock up' mode and 4-6 people just sitting around. No one says Good morning or hello or may I help you?

We never had any problems with the elementary staff who are kind and open and welcoming. This year the 'attitude' is so 'offish' that I will not regret when we move and take our son out of this school.

I do drop him off before school and maybe they are 'annoyed' that they are 'being bothered' before hours but STILL...

It's just incredulous to me how some people have such poor manners (I think it is a BIG thing here).
Out of curiosity, how has your community responded for education money requests during elections, bonds, tax levies, etc? What is the economic climate for teachers (and staff)? Have there been or are there risks of budget cuts, reductions, layoffs?

I ask because, being familiar with Huntsville, Southern California, and Colorado school budgets in the past four years, I've noticed a lot of cuts to education. Wouldn't surprise me if your community was in the same boat. When you walk into a school, the teachers and staff view you as a "customer" from whom their salaries and benefits are paid. And, while parents and the community are always pressuring the school for higher standards, better test scores, extra classes, extra attention, etc, the faculty and staff see "No on Yes" for the school funding election results.

This has to have an effect on their attitudes:
Capo district cut teacher pay 10.1% | teachers, school, percent - News - The Orange County Register

Vote No To All School Tax Increases!

Vote NO on Sarasota School Tax Referendum! | Facebook

Calitics:: Mass Teacher Layoffs Loom Again For California Schools

Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 AM

They've cut the budget quite a lot. Several people will lose their jobs come June. We've been hit like everywhere else in the USA unfortunately.
I have worked in many offices and frankly, this school is the worst when it comes to 'being friendly.' We never had a problem with either elementary school my child was in and the staff from the principals down were welcoming and kind.

There is one lady who is nice (on the phone) but in person they need to learn some customer service skills. If they are worried about cuts, they need to be a little more welcoming, not ruder...

Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Let me get this straight - the policy is you have to walk through a door instead of walking up to a window and you are upset that they wouldn't make an exception for you?

If someone came into my job expecting me to make an exception for them and no one else I would probably glare at that person too...

Old 04-14-2010, 12:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:

How often are you taking things to school for special events?? I mean I get once-a-year birthday cupcakes (or whatever healthy substitute is used these days). And I get field-trip chaperones. But these activities mean not just dropping stuff off at the office in the admin's lap, but sticking around to be involved. But even these wouldn't be frequent enough to establish a pattern.

Maybe the issue is the frequency of your visits, as well as the fact that you are dropping more work in their lap, rather than showing up as a helpful parent. The school administration is there to support the teachers and the students educational needs. Not to assist parents with party planning or whatever.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:34 PM

Gosh, what's wrong with the last 2 posters?
#1--No, I am not expecting them to make an exception. They are supposed to be there to serve the parents/students after a certain time. They don't like people coming to the window OR the door! The policy is to get a pass to go through the school.

They don't WANT TO BE BOTHERED dealing with anyone in the morning...

#2---Kodaka, are you clueless...it's not party freaking planning...the rule is we must have a pass to go through the school yet they refuse to 'help' enforce the policy.

As far as parties...these are SCHOOL activities that they WANT us to contribute to..In some cases, we are SUPPOSED TO leave items at the Main Office. If it is creating work, then they need to see their boss...the principal...

Sitting around chatting and RUDELY ignoring parents is not how to run an office...How come it's just this school? The others in the district have pleasant staff that greet you or at least ask, "How many I help you?"

I have to say if a company ran their offices like some schools, they'd be bankrupt. In the days where so many need a job, I find it hard to 'have sympathy' for those who can't even be pleasant...or fake it...

I volunteer often...I guess I should ask can I sit and do their job of handing out 'hall passes' instead of them so they can continue chatting about the weather or whatever while on the taxpayer's dime.

Thanks for trying to understand...

Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Something's wrong with other people because they don't agree with you?? Then the question is--what's wrong with you.

I think its pretty clear to EVERYONE that there is a rule that you must go to the office first. What's not clear is why you are doing it SO OFTEN. Just because they have a rule doesn't mean it's an invitation. They have a rule that you must send a note for an absence to be excused, too, but that doesn't mean your kid gets to be absent whenever they want.

You are the one who referred to your trips as 'special events' and say you are bringing your kid casseroles. Its not like you are bringing their homework that they left in the car. Your visits aren't of academic importance. So yeah, I would still call that PARTY PLANNING.

And this definitely belongs on the parenting forum, because it clearly has nothing to do with work and is all about your precious kid and you.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 PM

331 posts, read 956,799 times
Quote:
Another parent of a precious child who feels they are above and beyond the rules. What if EVERY parent came in BEFORE hours WITHOUT a pass to drop off food? Perhaps you should go when the office window is open, get your pass and follow the protocol.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
Another parent of a precious child who feels they are above and beyond the rules. What if EVERY parent came in BEFORE hours WITHOUT a pass to drop off food? Perhaps you should go when the office window is open, get your pass and follow the protocol.

School is OPEN! They just do not want to deal with parents first thing....geez do any of you people actually have kids...?

Secondly, I am not always at school...I just go when we have to bring something or be there for an event..

I don't think this even matters anymore so forget this thread...I don't expect people to agree with me...I just think school staff should be a bit nicer...we NEVER had a problem before coming to this school.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:53 PM

331 posts, read 956,799 times
Quote:
School is OPEN! They just do not want to deal with parents first thing....geez do any of you people actually have kids...?

Secondly, I am not always at school...I just go when we have to bring something or be there for an event..

I don't think this even matters anymore so forget this thread...I don't expect people to agree with me...I just think school staff should be a bit nicer...we NEVER had a problem before coming to this school.
Why do you expect people to be nice to you when you are not following the protocol? Obviously, you need a pass so you obtain said pass when the proper window is open... not when it is closed. If you go when it is closed, that is your problem and you are in the wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment