Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:48 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -A North Carolina waitress is out of a job after griping on her Facebook page about the $5 tip she got from a couple who sat at their table for three hours. The waitress says the customers kept her at work an hour after she was supposed to clock out.

Waitress fired for griping about tip on Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:20 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
People need to quit putting their private information on Facebook. I do have a Facebook account, but under a fake name. I keep hearing about stories like this, but it seems people need to learn the hard way.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:27 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,253 times
Good grief, anyone ever heard of the right of free speech? If I was her, I'd be suing that place to kingdom come and back, as well as spreading as much hate about her former place of employment as I could.

Sorry state of affairs in this country when an employer can dictate what a person can say or do on his or her own time.

Here's to bad tidings for that joint - hopefully they'll be out of biz real soon.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Good grief, anyone ever heard of the right of free speech? If I was her, I'd be suing that place to kingdom come and back, as well as spreading as much hate about her former place of employment as I could.

Sorry state of affairs in this country when an employer can dictate what a person can say or do on his or her own time.

Here's to bad tidings for that joint - hopefully they'll be out of biz real soon.
The 1st Amendment protects you from government trying to silence you, not an employer.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:54 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:

The company had a policy that stated she could not do what she did. This usually means on a public forum.

She chose to ignore it. Someone saw it, and then she was fired.

Hence why I never tell who I work for on this forum or specific details about my job. My employer has a policy about it. I don't think I have ever said anything bad about my employer, but I prefer to just not give specifics because it is against our policy.

The girl didn't use her brain and she obviously has learned a pretty big lesson here.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:

In this case it's called "libel" and if the waitress pursued the course of action you recommend she'd have a very hard time finding an attorney to represent her, plus she would be compounding the libel by "spreading (the) hate" and would likely end up in turn with a lawsuit filed against her which would probably end up costing her dearly in damages for the rest of her life.

Within certain boundaries an employer can indeed dictate what an employee says/does outside the workplace. The waitress was lucky just to have been fired.

lasvegasdrunk's post only confirms what so many Facebook, etc. bloggers seem to disregard these days where divulging information is concerned and have no clue how or why "free speech" too easily segues into libel.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,258 times
Just make your profile private. I don't know why people have such a hard time doing this!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:09 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
They should start teaching a mandatory class in high school and college called "the dangers of posting stupid crap on the internet".

Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
They should start teaching a mandatory class in high school and college called "the dangers of posting stupid crap on the internet".
This is true. I have a friend who used to be one of my son's educators a few years back. She put on her facebook a few times how she is fed up with school and can't wait for the year to end and so on.

Okay, only her 'friends' see it but still, as someone who was once 'a parent' I get the impression maybe she is not all that enthused about her job as a teacher. (and we all know plenty who wish they had teaching jobs). It puts a negative spin on things.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:16 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
This is true. I have a friend who used to be one of my son's educators a few years back. She put on her facebook a few times how she is fed up with school and can't wait for the year to end and so on.
So many employers are now, and have been for a couple of years now, checking on Facebook, MySpace and similar accounts for background on potential employees and many a potential employee has been immediately eliminated because of questionable photos and comments. Ignorance is bliss not ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment