Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times

Advertisements

4 AM: Wake up take shower, start walking to airport
4:30 AM: Go to sleep in lay-z-boy recliner
10:00 AM: Wake up and surf the internet until 12:30 PM

Off duty to do what I want until 4 AM the next day when I have to get up again.

If they call me to work, which happens 4 to 6 times per month, I'll actually have to shave and get dressed and work for up to 12 hours. Fortunately it doesn't happen often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 AM

181 posts, read 323,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
4 AM: Wake up take shower, start walking to airport
4:30 AM: Go to sleep in lay-z-boy recliner
10:00 AM: Wake up and surf the internet until 12:30 PM

Off duty to do what I want until 4 AM the next day when I have to get up again.

If they call me to work, which happens 4 to 6 times per month, I'll actually have to shave and get dressed and work for up to 12 hours. Fortunately it doesn't happen often.
Please, don't tell me you're an air traffic controller

Sounds like a very strange job. I assume you walk to the airport, get there and then go to sleep in a recliner? What do you do when you actually have to work?

Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 AM

108 posts, read 386,106 times
Surgery Scheduler

825: walk in to a nurse complaining about too many CARMS (imaging equipment) being scheduled at once (though the extra CARM was approved by charge nurse day prior)

830: clock in, start up the 5 different systems we have to use (why it can't be consolidated into one i will never know)

835: start inputting patient demo that has been left from the 8 oclock worker

845: argue with physician about why the Da Vinci robot system isin't available at the time he wants

850: argue with nurse about why the Da Vinci robot system wasn't available for the above doctor

900: cancel case that has da vinci robot in time slot the above doctor wanted

905: swallow my pride and explain to said doctor that the time is now available

repeat 40 times daily

Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,360 times
Back office banker:

6:00am - Alarm, press snooze
6:09am - Alarm, press snooze
Continue until about 6:50am...
6:50am- Drag myself out of bed. Shower, do hair, get dressed, take my dog outside, feed him
7:40am - Leave for work
7:57am- Sit in traffic, realize I'm going to be late, despite the fact that I can SEE my building (they're doing major construction on the block)
8:04am - Arrive at work. 4 minutes late.
8:04-9:00am - Run reports, respond to work emails, open mail.
9:00-11:00am - Investigate and give credit to accounts with pin-based transactions in dispute
11am-12:30pm - Initiate chargebacks with corresponding pin-based networks
12:30-1pm - Piddle around on CD, check out azcentral.com
1-2pm - LUNCH!
2-3pm - Piddle around on CD, respond to more emails, do some busy work that's been sitting around such as filing cash advance receipts
3-4:30pm - Order replacement cards and pins for lost/stolen cards, worn out cards, name changes, etc.
4:30-5:15pm - Send end of day file to card issuer, send out card destination change faxes, clean up desk, lock everything away, close down the floor.
5:15-7pm - Go down two floors to help with returned statements and charging bad address fees, temporary overtime work.
7-midnight - Home. Watch TV, piddle around online, play with my dog, clean around the house, do laundry, cook, call family.
Midnightish - Bedtime! And it all starts over again...

Oh, the exciting life of a banker. /sarcasm

Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM

181 posts, read 323,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Back office banker:

6:00am - Alarm, press snooze
6:09am - Alarm, press snooze
Continue until about 6:50am...
6:50am- Drag myself out of bed. Shower, do hair, get dressed, take my dog outside, feed him
7:40am - Leave for work
7:57am- Sit in traffic, realize I'm going to be late, despite the fact that I can SEE my building (they're doing major construction on the block)
8:04am - Arrive at work. 4 minutes late.
8:04-9:00am - Run reports, respond to work emails, open mail.
9:00-11:00am - Investigate and give credit to accounts with pin-based transactions in dispute
11am-12:30pm - Initiate chargebacks with corresponding pin-based networks
12:30-1pm - Piddle around on CD, check out azcentral.com
1-2pm - LUNCH!
2-3pm - Piddle around on CD, respond to more emails, do some busy work that's been sitting around such as filing cash advance receipts
3-4:30pm - Order replacement cards and pins for lost/stolen cards, worn out cards, name changes, etc.
4:30-5:15pm - Send end of day file to card issuer, send out card destination change faxes, clean up desk, lock everything away, close down the floor.
5:15-7pm - Go down two floors to help with returned statements and charging bad address fees, temporary overtime work.
7-midnight - Home. Watch TV, piddle around online, play with my dog, clean around the house, do laundry, cook, call family.
Midnightish - Bedtime! And it all starts over again...

Oh, the exciting life of a banker. /sarcasm
By chance, do you work at a Wells Fargo? I used to work at Ocotillo Corporate Center down in Chandler, AZ. I know that even tellers at Wells Fargo start out with 20 days (4 weeks) of PTO each year. Good stuff!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaAndOranges View Post
By chance, do you work at a Wells Fargo? I used to work at Ocotillo Corporate Center down in Chandler, AZ. I know that even tellers at Wells Fargo start out with 20 days (4 weeks) of PTO each year. Good stuff!
Nope, I don't work for Wells Fargo But I do work in Chandler!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,297 times
On a Pharmacy day:

7:30 AM alarm goes off and I shower and put out carefully laid out outfit
9:00 AM stop for cappacino and muffin in Franconia NH and gab with friends
9:15 AM have picture taken with cappacno at Mojo's coffee shop by photo woman
9:30 AM arrive at store and greet co workers, friends, customers, fix hair,lip gloss
10:00 AM arrive in Pharmacy finish cappacino, tidy up rx's that neat to be hung, start filling, rx's, work with customers and phamacy operations
4:00PM go home say goodby to co workers call husband and discuss dinner and excercise options (me not him)

Front end day

Alarm goes off at 4:45 AM to whenever......

repeat all of first steps only time is unknown
Start day
ring up groceries
get cigarettes
drunk customer hides on me
finds customer and finishes transaction
get shopping carts
get baskets
get yelled at for bagging fruit wrong by customer
told I am amzing by customer
take WIC test
get cigarettes
get carts
have customer leave all groceries on my checkout stand and wander off
get cigarettes
have customer complain that bags are to heavy
have customer complain that bags are to light
give directions to bathroom
get cigarettes
get yelled at because ice cream is melting
be told I'm awesome
be told I'm way to slow
get yelled at because I bagged wrong
be told I bagged just right
give directions to bathroom
assist customer finding lost wallet
find missing item from customers grocery cart
break up fight in my grocery line
get cigarettes
get yelled at for bagging wrong
help drunk customer find lost money
make small talk when my register crashes
Oops time to go
say bye to everybody

Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,164 times
Depends on the day of the week.

Monday - whatever I want, I am off

Tuesday & Thursday

Wake up naturally, usually 7 or 7:30
Have coffee, read paper
8:30 - breakfast
9:00 - shower
10:00 - head to church, stopping along the way to run personal errands
11:30 - arrive at church (I only live 10 min away if I came straight here)
busy with emails, reading mail, phone calls etc.
1:00 - lunch
2:00 - more emails, phone calls, organizing this week's activities etc.
4:00 - leave for home

Wednesday

Same as Tuesday & Thursday but don't leave until 12:00 for the church

2:00 - lunch
3:00 - plan Sunday service, finalize bulletin with scriptures, sermon title etc.
5:00 - coffee break
6:30 - 8:00 office hours (or if no-one shows up, listen to choir rehearse or surf the web)

Friday - work from home... sermon prep day

Saturday - off

Sunday

7:00 - up
7:30 - coffee & breakfast
8:00 - shower
8:45 - arrive at church, set up & prepare
9:45 - group prayer with those involved in service
10:00 - 11:10 - worship (best part is 10:20 - 10:40 when I preach )
11:10 - 12:00 - coffee and socialize with group
12:00 - leave, done for the day

Not included in a typical day is evening or weekend meetings, functions etc. than vary from week to week.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:54 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Mine is so easy. I am a security guard who works in an office building overnights.

10:30 PM: I arrive at work. I set up my laptop computer at my desk. I "work" by myself and literally have no duties throughout the night. I just sit and play on the internet all night. I am at work right now.

6 AM: The office workers start arriving. I greet them as they come in.

6:30 AM: Time to go home.

Pros: Totally easy and no stress. I am one lazy SOB so it is the perfect job for me.

Cons: Low pay, no benefits......regardless, I can accept it as I would hate to actually have to work to make more. I could not deal with any of the stress of the jobs that other posters have described.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Time is mostly irrelevant where I work, so I won't break it down that way

Up @ 5:30, gym @ 6.

Get to work around 7:45, say hello to our receptionist and maybe a pilot or two.
Clock in @ 8.

OH NOES the actuator is busted on the thrust reversers of a transient aircraft! Spend 2 hours trying to find a new/used/rental. Find one. Pilot/owner changes his mind. 2 hours wasted.

Get yelled at for 20 minutes about something that had absolutely nothing to do with me. Boss figures it out and walks away without apologizing.

Plane is about to leave but pilot can't find his tie. Rummage through upstairs storage area to find new tie. Find tie. Go downstairs to give tie to pilot, find out pilot found tie and has already left. Nobody bothered to tell me. Half hour wasted.

Detailers complain that their new cleaning solutions is 'not concentrated enough', get on phone with vendor and complain. Propeller is having issues on the KingAir. Need to order parts? Maybe. We'll tell you right after the deadline for AOG overnight has passed, even though we've known about it for hours. Then, we'll blame it on you when the parts don't come in on time. Not so secretly, the mechanics want to go home early tomorrow, so they purposely order parts a little too late so they don't come in on time.

LUNCH with the ladies. The only normal part of the day.

After lunch, get new tires for the tug(s), pick up coffee that a certain customer HAS TO HAVE, buy a fifth of Johnny Walker black for boss, champagne cups for company event next month, BevMo loves me.

Try to find new stamps for the accounting dept., fuel nozzles on the KingAir need to be sent in to be pressure checked, Eddy Current needs to be performed on one of our wheels, stock order needs to be made, RMAs need to be filled out and we've got a new contract that I 'need to go over' for our parts ordering with Hawker/Beechcraft. Meeting with a new vendor, dealing with old ones, answering emails, entering invoices, answering questions about money and time for shipping, sending my hazmat records to the FAA.

Then....it's home. Take the dogs for a walk along the estuary, make a decent dinner and then sleep at around 9ish.

I love my job

Last edited by Rhenzanite; 05-26-2010 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment