Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,952,998 times

Advertisements

Care to share your job search method? Are you applying to job openings already listed? Company websites? Networking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,945,812 times
Awesome, and grats!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 AM

8,974 posts, read 20,403,955 times
Ok, but how old is your parents??? Wife/I are in our early 60's and both of us are having an extremely hard time finding full-time permanent jobs. Another thing to PLEASE remember, not everyone who is looking for a job can go to different States for interviews. A lot of unemployed people definitely don't have the finances to cover that. I've collected both UI benefits and State Disability benefits before......no problem to me. It was money that I definitely needed. Wife was laid-off from a job of $62k a year and collect UI for a few weeks.......that didn't bother her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
One of my parents was unemployed, got laid off, found a job in 6 weeks... And he refused to claim unemployment because he, like I think it's a form of welfare and opwould have compelled him not to work.

So your point fails spectacularly.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,937,026 times
In a perfect world, hiring managers would have to serve a year on unemployment so they understand how hard it is to find a job in these times. Fortunately, voters can sentence their U.S. representatives, and some Senators, to unemployment in the next election.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:54 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,314,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Great post, and as usual goes right over ones head!
He is still young. Give him some time to grow.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,057,910 times
Congrats, Southbound. I'm glad you had great success!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
He is still young. Give him some time to grow.
lol Good one!
Instant Rimshot

Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,518,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but (as someone that hasn't been unemployed in this market but knows many who are) I think you're being awfully presumptuous by assuming that you're circumstances are universal for all unemployed/underemployed persons seeking employment right now. It's great that you're getting job offers and your work is paying off, but you have to take into consideration all of the different factors that play into becoming gainfully employed. Geography is huge. Age discrimination is alive and well- some employers target recent college grads while screening out *seasoned veterans* because they think recent college grads are on average going to be cheaper or work for a lot less vs. their erroneous views that persons with years/decades of experience are going to want a lot more pay, not be as motivated, and/or have some type of chip on their shoulder (esp. if they're moving down several pay grades). That's just one example of dozens- although not likely to ever admit it and/or be conscious of it, many employers are much more likely to hire persons with certain personality and/or appearance traits that they subjectively find to be more appealing over hiring the best qualified candidate for the position. And discrimination against protected classes and other groups is a very well-documented and well-studied/proven phenomenon in this country.

So, again, I don't mean to be rude- but if one of your parents lost a job right now, do you think it would be as easy for them to become re-employed right now as it has been for you?
While many of your points are valid I think the OP was just trying to give people some hope and perhaps encouragement. From what I read on the forum as well as news reports etc. it seems to me that it is just a difficult for the recent grad to land a job as anyone else regardless of pay requirements, age or ability to relocate. I think the OP has gone above and beyond to land a decent job but is still keeping his/her head up and encouraging others to do the same.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
While many of your points are valid I think the OP was just trying to give people some hope and perhaps encouragement. From what I read on the forum as well as news reports etc. it seems to me that it is just a difficult for the recent grad to land a job as anyone else regardless of pay requirements, age or ability to relocate. I think the OP has gone above and beyond to land a decent job but is still keeping his/her head up and encouraging others to do the same.
Not to be rude but the OP has had nothing but disparaging remarks towards the unemployed. You need to go read some of his work before you read into what he posted here. You may have a hard time finding them as many have been deleted.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:33 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,518,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
One of my parents was unemployed, got laid off, found a job in 6 weeks... And he refused to claim unemployment because he, like I think it's a form of welfare and opwould have compelled him not to work.

So your point fails spectacularly.
I must say something about unemployment it is not welfare many people have put a goodly number of years into the employment system and in my opinion UE is deserved. UE was developed to help people over the rough spots during unemployment. If not for UE a great many people would have lost everything and living in tent city. It is great if a person can find employment immediately after a job loss but sometimes that is not possible and those people still need some kind of income to at least survive. To consider UE as some type of welfare in my opinion is wrong. For the record I have never collected UE but if I needed to I sure would not hesitate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment