Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Oh, so you come from money. That explains a lot.
Hardly, until I was about 12 we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment, hard work pays off, you see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Words mean things. And you are the one who said them. I'm sorry if you have said things that you now don't like. But that doesn't change what you said.

You're position is very clear to me. That is the sad part.
Obviously not because you completely misunderstood it. At least when I'm wrong I apologize and say mea culpa, go back and look through some old posts, vie admitted being wrong once or twice, now's your time.

In case you still need it spelled out, I was talking about the effect that having a paycheck coming in even when you aren't working, if you can survive without working many will. My dad decided that he didn't want that temptation to be there so he would be more urgent. Has nothing to do with weak mindedness, it actually takes a stronger individual to take the hard road.

Does it make sense to you yet? My sister teaches fifth and sixth grade, maybe I can ask her to explain it.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:39 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,546 times
You're very fortunate,OP.
Most people either don't know how to look for a job,want the EXACT job that they had before or they just aren't making the hard decisions that losing a job may entail.

It's good that you have a degree in an area that is currently being sought by employers.
Good luck!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:40 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Hardly, until I was about 12 we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment, hard work pays off, you see.
I'm the last person you want to lecture about hard work, you see.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
You're very fortunate,OP.
Most people either don't know how to look for a job,want the EXACT job that they had before or they just aren't making the hard decisions that losing a job may entail.

It's good that you have a degree in an area that is currently being sought by employers.
Good luck!
Thank you, I know I have been blessed by the hard work that I did during college.

It's always been weird, given the fact that there are 15 million people looking for work, why you'd only apply for the perfect fit, or most popular jobs.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Obviously not because you completely misunderstood it. At least when I'm wrong I apologize and say mea culpa, go back and look through some old posts, vie admitted being wrong once or twice, now's your time.

In case you still need it spelled out, I was talking about the effect that having a paycheck coming in even when you aren't working, if you can survive without working many will. My dad decided that he didn't want that temptation to be there so he would be more urgent. Has nothing to do with weak mindedness, it actually takes a stronger individual to take the hard road.

Does it make sense to you yet? My sister teaches fifth and sixth grade, maybe I can ask her to explain it.
You keep saying the same thing. Your dad didn't want the temptation. A stronger person would have no problem with that.

And wouldn't the hard road be to face the temptation instead of removing it?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
Quote:
Well given the fact that this forum is full of chronically unemployed slackers on UI for almost two years, I don't think it's farfetched to imagine that that is the natural effect.

Not saying that all longterm unemployed are in that boat, but I would but that at least 50% of people unemployed for more than a year have been because they don't care, or because they want to be.

Hey, no it doesn't.

If I say, "I found a great job advertised, but decided it would be too much of a hassle to apply," the but doesn't negate the fact that I found a great job.

I didn't call all unemployed people stupid, just those that refused to work after two whole years. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Oh NOyou didn't just say that!! With all due respect to say that the forum is full of chronically unemployed slackers is absurd. How in the name of all that is good can you lump everyone in the same pile? How do you know why they have not been able to find employment after 2 or more years you don't know these people you don't know their circumstances. I don't deny that there are people that work the system but I choose to believe that there may be underlying causes that keep people from finding employment. I won't list everything I think may be some of the reasons but could you please find it in your heart to give unemployed people the benefit of the doubt? I think it is great that you have found a job that suits you and that your parents found jobs that suit them that is your good fortune. I am sure there are thousands of other people that wish they could find the same good fortune. I know that your original post was to inspire but to inspire and beat them in the head with a hammer at the same time is reprehensible to me. It is so easy for someone who has a job to denegrate those that do not have a job. It is a lot harder to muster up some fraction of compassion and try to understand that there may be a very good reason why someone has not found a job in the past two yrs. Just please remember what goes around comes around.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Oh NOyou didn't just say that!! With all due respect to say that the forum is full of chronically unemployed slackers is absurd. How in the name of all that is good can you lump everyone in the same pile? How do you know why they have not been able to find employment after 2 or more years you don't know these people you don't know their circumstances. I don't deny that there are people that work the system but I choose to believe that there may be underlying causes that keep people from finding employment. I won't list everything I think may be some of the reasons but could you please find it in your heart to give unemployed people the benefit of the doubt? I think it is great that you have found a job that suits you and that your parents found jobs that suit them that is your good fortune. I am sure there are thousands of other people that wish they could find the same good fortune. I know that your original post was to inspire but to inspire and beat them in the head with a hammer at the same time is reprehensible to me. It is so easy for someone who has a job to denegrate those that do not have a job. It is a lot harder to muster up some fraction of compassion and try to understand that there may be a very good reason why someone has not found a job in the past two yrs. Just please remember what goes around comes around.
Bravo!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I'm the last person you want to lecture about hard work, you see.
I wasn't at all. I don't know you, as far as I know you have a great job and work hard to provide for yourself without government assistance, not that I really care.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
If I say, "I found a great job advertised, but decided it would be too much of a hassle to apply," the but doesn't negate the fact that I found a great job.
erm yes it does negate the preceding - the "but" shows it wasn't that "great" a job - not for you at any rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment