Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:21 AM
F18 F18 started this thread

542 posts, read 529,206 times

Advertisements

For those who are living outside their country do you like it? Do generally prefer living abroad or do you miss your country? Would you want to return back home or is home where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 02:23 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Yes, I do like it.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:40 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,587 times
I have lived outside the US in both the UK and Latin America. Those experiences made me a better, more worldly person. Latin America was done on a shoe string and required that I live like a local, among locals until my business grew. It was a fantastic experience. However, there comes a time when certain things start to grind at you because you know they get done better at home. Once they become a regular topic of conversation, it's time to leave.

There's nothing worse than spending time with expats who do nothing more than complain about how backward things are wherever you might be living and I never want to be like them.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:08 PM
F18 F18 started this thread

542 posts, read 529,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I have lived outside the US in both the UK and Latin America. Those experiences made me a better, more worldly person. Latin America was done on a shoe string and required that I live like a local, among locals until my business grew. It was a fantastic experience. However, there comes a time when certain things start to grind at you because you know they get done better at home. Once they become a regular topic of conversation, it's time to leave.

There's nothing worse than spending time with expats who do nothing more than complain about how backward things are wherever you might be living and I never want to be like them.
Travelling through Latin America must be very cool, despite the budget.

I lived abroad too and it also made my a more worldly person but at the same time it made me feel more patriotic.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:54 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,689 times
Yes i do, but for me it's hard to define home because i have moved around so much. But one thing i would like to point out, at least in my case is that i love living abroad as long as the country that is "hosting" me is developed.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:25 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,456 times
I've spent more than a year in about 10 different countries working as an International Consultant currently in the Middle East. In general, I liked living in Shanghai, China, Seoul, Korea, Mongolia, Canada, Spain and Peru and haven't enjoyed the Middle East though they pay the best.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:39 AM

317 posts, read 373,601 times
Spent 2 years teaching in China and now in the middle East (Kuwait). I find that China was more difficult place to live - lack of English, crowding, and pollution. Middle East is much more open to foreign foods and communication is easier. What I miss about back home in US is variety of foods and ease of communication. Here they speak English but South Asians and Middle Easterns have far different concept of communication/lifestyle than North Americans.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:45 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Spent 2 years teaching in China and now in the middle East (Kuwait). I find that China was more difficult place to live - lack of English, crowding, and pollution. Middle East is much more open to foreign foods and communication is easier. What I miss about back home in US is variety of foods and ease of communication. Here they speak English but South Asians and Middle Easterns have far different concept of communication/lifestyle than North Americans.
Could you give some examples?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:03 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
What is the purpose of moving to a new place and then complaining about everything there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World