Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,401 times

Advertisements

Not a language but a dialect , I find Cantonese super annoying ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 AM

692 posts, read 957,511 times
Valley Girl English. In fact, most North American English sounds just awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Not a language but a dialect , I find Cantonese super annoying ..
Cantonese is a language. It's probably more different to Mandarin than Italian is to Spanish.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:00 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Valley Girl English. In fact, most North American English sounds just awful.

Cantonese is a language. It's probably more different to Mandarin than Italian is to Spanish.
This.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Vietnamese and Thai are the most annoying to me. Cantonese, Russian (other similar sounding languages), Hebrew, Yiddish, Arabic, French, and Tagalog are the ugliest in my opinion. Finnish sounds very odd to me, but it isn't a likeable or unlikeable language.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's most likely Cantonese. Cantonese is what most westerners have been exposed to as historically, they made up the majority who emigrated from China. This is starting to change though. In western countries you can sort of cheat to figure out which is which. Cantonese are generally working class with many being rather poor. Mandarin speakers tend to be the ones who come to get higher paying jobs frequently in a high tech industry. In California for example, Cantonese is in San Francisco and Oakland. Mandarin predominates in the San Jose area. That area is where the lions share of the high tech jobs are where as SF and Oakland have the working class Chinatowns. Between SF and SJ, the change-over is gradual.
Most of the Chinese speakers where I used to live (in southern California) were Mandarin speakers.

Cantonese and Mandarin sound nothing alike to my ears.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Most of the Chinese speakers where I used to live (in southern California) were Mandarin speakers.

Cantonese and Mandarin sound nothing alike to my ears.
They don't. Cantonese sounds worse too imo.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
After watching Ariete's videos, I'm gonna have to disagree.

Jorge Ramos (Al Punto) cuestiona sobre la colonia a Alejandro Garcia Padilla - YouTube

I think if you watch this, Spanish sounds the most similar to Japanese of the European languages (at least the major ones).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNtb3k_UitI

Watch from the 12 minute mark. You can hear Spanish and Japanese being spoken side by side by native Japanese speakers.

*Love the little 'Japanish' going on there with "gambatiando"

However, the biggest difference in Japanese with Spanish is that Spanish does occasionally have words with consonants next to each other (br, ll, and rr being the most common ones), while in Japanese a vowel always comes after one consonant, with only a few exceptions.
Finnish is VERY similar to Japanese. Just ask linguists or people who have exposure to both languages. I'm learning Finnish, and it's amazing how often I learn a phrase or word and exclaim, "Wow, this DOES sound like Japanese." It also has an Asian style of numbers that Spanish doesn't have.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
They don't. Cantonese sounds worse too imo.
It does to me, too. I like how some people (not all) speak Mandarin, but I've never heard Cantonese spoken in a "pretty" way.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Some have proposed Japanese and Finnish are very distantly related.
Not that distantly really. The supposition is commonly that the first inhabitants in Finland were from modern day Mongolia. If you think of it that way, it makes sense.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 PM

338 posts, read 335,122 times
Good:
Deep voiced English
German
Austronesian languages are the opposite of harsh-ultra simple syllable structures
Japanese
Very refined Mandarin

Bad:
Vietnamese
Thai....ahh most languages in the tonal Asian sprach-bund
It never ceases to amaze me how "economical" these languages are.
I actually wonder if they are a joke, the way their set up, very context based, almost baby talk.
Why did they evolve that way?

Example:
"Khun wing kham saphaan dek" (Thai)
"You run cross bridge child"

"You ran across the bridges that are belonging to the children".

Same with Vietnamese and everything else there! Entire songs are made up of words just thrown out in a specific order,
just translate a classical chinese text too, it's like a guy shouting randoms words without no melody. Where is the elegance?

Last edited by Mahhammer; 05-03-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World