Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,491 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was thinking of getting Rosetta stone or some other software to learn French. Has anyone used Rosetta stone or any other means to learn a new language, and how much did you end up getting - how long did it take?

THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,349 times
I've used it.
I studied Vietnamese with at for at least a year then I got the Thai one right before I left for Thailand. I learned a little Thai in a classroom once I got there then got to practice it quite a bit hands on. I haven't actually spent much time with the Thai RS, maybe I should practice but I haven't since I got back to the US. I never really got to use the Vietnamese much.
I would guess it generally works a lot better if you are learning a European language like French for native English speakers.
I seriously doubt you'll become fluent just using RS. If you get the RS I would recommend also taking a class or finding someone who is fluent to talk to or something like that.
The newest versions are supposed to have live online lessons but I don't know how good they are.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Resource: French in Action

You can find the dialogue for half the lessons here:Suggestions for the Presentation of a Lesson

I'll venture to say that this is far better than the much-hyped Rosetta Stone. And, best of all, it's free.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Resource: French in Action

You can find the dialogue for half the lessons here:Suggestions for the Presentation of a Lesson

I'll venture to say that this is far better than the much-hyped Rosetta Stone. And, best of all, it's free.
Thanks for the free version!

I will check it out

Old 01-22-2012, 07:12 AM

385 posts, read 858,890 times
Rosetta stone is good but nothing can compare to the real thing as far as soft ware goes, get a girl / boy friend to teach you

Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
Rosetta stone is good but nothing can compare to the real thing as far as soft ware goes, get a girl / boy friend to teach you
I agree, its a quality product but no software is going to be close to actual human interaction.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
Watching TV and listening to the radio also helps a lot.

But to me as an adult it is quite difficult these days to learn a completely new language, especially one from Asia or Africa. Somehow just learning sound sequences by heart does not do it for me, I need to see where the word begins and ends (kind of difficult with Asian signs) and how the grammar works etc. I guess I am a rather analytic person, the hands-on baby approach does not work for me.
I tried to learn Tamil by means of a cassette-based course years ago, but gave up after some time. It was just too alien for me.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
I have used it for Portuguese, but I was also using other methodologies at the same time. I used it religiously for a while, then got a bit tired of the format. Overall, I think it was worth what I paid for it, but it only helps get so far.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,571 times
I have never used any language software so I cannot help you with RS. Twelve years ago, when I first learned Italian, I simply enrolled in a summer course at a community college. It was an immersion course for beginners, and the only rule the prof gave to us on the first day was, "Within these walls, we speak only Italian."

Six hours a week, that's what we did. By the end of the summer, we were all capable of carrying conversations involving, aside from the tourist stuff, bargaining at the stores, asking for a date, filing a complain at the police station for stolen belonging and berating airline for loss luggage, etc.

Another two semesters after that summer, I went off to Italy to search and buy a house, dealing with almost all difficulties in the transaction completely in Italian, confident in my ability with the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World