Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,136 times

Advertisements

I blame it on women. Women like the bad boys. Men only act bad because they know women like it, its probably why Saddam invaded Kuwait, to impress the ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
And here I was thinking that sex drive only leads to ... sex.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Lopsided only because, historically, the opportunity to rule/kill has not been equal.
I guess you did not have a chance to read my full comment. I repeat that science has found that when hormones change in both men and women, later in life, men become more docile and women, more assertive. This is evidence that male aggressiveness is linked to sex.

So, opportunity does not seem to have that much to do with it.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Anyone who thinks that its just men with violent urges has never seen a woman scorned. Also think about how many moms beat their kids or will beat their guy or the other woman if hes found cheating. I think its a more societal constraint because men have to use power and prestige to get women. If men were allowed to be vulnerable like women, they probably would.
I think that we see a lot more, LOT more, violence coming from men, in general, than women. That's what I'm talking about here, not the random exceptional case of women flipping out. Many women are encultured to want children, but then later on, find that they don't have the talent or the desire to dedicate so much of their preciously short life time to rearing them. That's a different story than that of most men. Besides, even in a divorce the mom gets stuck with the kids and support from the man.

I think these things are innate in MOST humans. Generally, and we can only speak in generalities in such cases, women are attracted to strong and assertive men and men are hormonally inclined to be that way.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I mean yes there is a correlation, but what I meant was that women aren't really blameless...it takes two to tango, it's not as if the women are watching helplessly, they are part of it. Why do most males fight in the first place? To compete for mates. Territory too is a sign of dominance. Once you remove that component, males co-exist peacefully, perhaps moreso than females.
Ok, I can see this. Males do have the ability to co exist peacefully. I think, I don't know if it's nature or nurture, that men more easily take to acting in groups than women. That could be changing, though, and may just be the way our society molds us.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The mid-20th century idea that women and men are just alike except for their plumbing is one of the sillier and loonier fantasies of the last century.
Well, with the availability of scientific breakthroughs and operations women are freed from the constraints of their biology and really DO deserve an equal chance to navigate through their lives with the same financial/employment opportunities as men have.
No two individuals are alike, and the world should be wide enough to hold male ballet dancers and women truck drivers with no problem.

Women and men are not identical, but become more so later in life. People used to use this 'lack of identical' argument to hold women back from fully participating in life to fulfill their ambitions, so some countered this with the 'women are identical to men' argument. I think that is a very understandable reaction.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
I blame it on women. Women like the bad boys. Men only act bad because they know women like it, its probably why Saddam invaded Kuwait, to impress the ladies.
Isn't that like the sexy siren that men are attracted to? I mean, you really want her, but cannot see yourself marrying such a woman. I think women and the bad boys is a similar situation.

I think that is a little game. The problem is, some people think it's reality, that life should be more like the movies.

No, I think more men than women have short fuses and have the impulse towards violence. It does not mean they always act on it. In fact, recognizing and controlling it builds character.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM

782 posts, read 1,087,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I guess you did not have a chance to read my full comment. I repeat that science has found that when hormones change in both men and women, later in life, men become more docile and women, more assertive. This is evidence that male aggressiveness is linked to sex.

So, opportunity does not seem to have that much to do with it.
Oh I'm sure in 10 years they'll be another study to contradict this one.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Oh I'm sure in 10 years they'll be another study to contradict this one.
I don't think so. You don't have to be a genius to notice this tendency in older people who you know. Science is just underscoring the bloody obvious.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, with the availability of scientific breakthroughs and operations women are freed from the constraints of their biology and really DO deserve an equal chance to navigate through their lives with the same financial/employment opportunities as men have.
No two individuals are alike, and the world should be wide enough to hold male ballet dancers and women truck drivers with no problem.

Women and men are not identical, but become more so later in life. People used to use this 'lack of identical' argument to hold women back from fully participating in life to fulfill their ambitions, so some countered this with the 'women are identical to men' argument. I think that is a very understandable reaction.
Yes gender differences seem to peak at around age 30. That's why babies also seem genderless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World