Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:53 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times

Advertisements

Babies are too early in life to care about gender roles, and older people are too far in life to care about gender roles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Babies are too early in life to care about gender roles, and older people are too far in life to care about gender roles.
I don't think old people or babies are driven by hormones the way people in the middle are, either, and that is the age range in which the damage is done.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
The moment of coming into existence.

50/50 (okay not exactly but a close approximation)

Heads? Tails?

The baby doesn't know it yet but this coin toss will determine its fate.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
And why do men behave aggresively? Cherchez la femme!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,996 times
If it wasn't for us males and our many different "drives", we wouldn't be sitting here at home reading these kind of articles. Because there would be no houses, and no computers, and none of us could probably read anyway.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:34 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't think so. You don't have to be a genius to notice this tendency in older people who you know. Science is just underscoring the bloody obvious.
I think the study is crap.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,958 times
May be plausible but for it to have more truth they should have added the word "Suppressed" to the article's title ("Suppressed Male Sex Drive 'To Blame For World's Conflicts'"). Just sayin'!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:44 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
There is some truth in that male hormones and sex drive result in a propensity to commit violent crime and war - supported by the fact that the XYY chromosome genotype is more likely to be violent and have a higher representation in prisons.
But what about things like genocides - the destruction of the Jews in Europe, the Tutsis in Rwanda etc.
There was more to it than simple primal instincts.
In these cases inground hatred and jealousy was to blame, and was more to do with ideologies and intolerance of a whole ethnic group than individual male hormones.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The mid-20th century idea that women and men are just alike except for their plumbing is one of the sillier and loonier fantasies of the last century.
I agree. In my case I wasn't saying there would be no difference if women were in charge. I just was thinking whether it would be a "better world" is something I'm not sure we know or that it depends on terms. Which I think you are agreeing with if I understand you.

However in every nation I know of men are a super-majority of the prisoners. Not just a majority, but like 79% at least.

World Female Prisoners (percentage within the Prison Population) - Not the best source, but fits with others.

There is a tendency to imprison female criminals less often which could be a factor. Still that I don't know of any nation where women get above 25% of the prison population, regardless of culture, I think may say something.

Women I think do tend to be less reckless and less violent. Although women have their flaws too and in my experience other women are about the most willing to tell you about them. (Yes even to a guy)

Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,155,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The male sex drive is to blame for most of the world's conflicts from football hooliganism to religious disputes and even world wars, according to scientists.

The "male warrior" instinct means that men are programmed to be aggressive towards anyone they view as an outsider, a study claims.

In evolutionary terms an instinct for violence against others helped early men improve their status and gain more access to mates, but in modern terms this can translate into large-scale wars.

Male sex drive 'to blame for world's conflicts' - Telegraph
They say that like it's a bad thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World