Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times

Advertisements

Hmm... Britain seems a bit less monolingual than I thought.

Actually, isn't most of the world's population supposed to be bi- or multi- lingual and among the countries of the world, people who speak only one language actually a minority or so I've heard many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Hmm... Britain seems a bit less monolingual than I thought.

Actually, isn't most of the world's population supposed to be bi- or multi- lingual and among the countries of the world, people who speak only one language actually a minority or so I've heard many times.
I disagree, I think the many languages of the world will be phased out and with the global market the entire world will shift to a single language.

In this day and age, it makes you more marketable to know more than one language no doubt... but if English is your only language, then you don't really have to worry at all unless you want to make a leftist European who thinks their language will really make a difference and that someone from outside of their country should learn their language to spend a week there.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I disagree, I think the many languages of the world will be phased out and with the global market the entire world will shift to a single language.

In this day and age, it makes you more marketable to know more than one language no doubt... but if English is your only language, then you don't really have to worry at all unless you want to make a leftist European who thinks their language will really make a difference and that someone from outside of their country should learn their language to spend a week there.
That will never happen. Language is part of people's identity, just like their culture and nationality. Replaced with what anyway? English? If English were to have become the de facto language, it would have happened long ago. Besides, I think it's somewhat lazy of English speakers not to at least learn one other language. I actually wish that more fellow countrymen would make more effort to learn a second language. Like travel, it broadens the mind.

EDIT: what does being left or right wing have to do with language? More silly US stereotypes about Europeans? I guess we're all communists.

Last edited by dragonborn; 02-22-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK, but just be the devil's advocate here, how come in many countries people seem to have the ability to learn profession X (usually not related to language) in addition to more than one language, when in others it is so difficult to do so, because they are supposedly concentrated on other things like being good at profession X?

Is a high school principal in German-speaking Switzerland who speaks three languages a less competent principal than his peer in Omaha, Nebraska who speaks only English because he has apparently focused all his energy on his career as an educational administrator?
The way I see it, career in education ( or many other careers in liberal arts/humanities) can be closely related to study of foreign languages in general.
However a high school principal living in Switzerland may know couple of other languages not primarily because he is a high school principle, but because he lives in Europe, ( particularly in such part of Europe) where population of different language groups ( ie French, German,) live in close proximity to each other. So he might travel to neighboring countries/regions for vacations, professional exchange - whatever, and knowledge of foreign language makes a nice addition in his situation. It could make a nice addition to his peer somewhere in Omaha Nebraska I suppose as well, but it's far less practical in this situation. High school principal in Nebraska is too far away from French-speaking population, his school doesn't plan any professional exchanges with Germany or Italy any time soon, so he is better off focusing strictly on budget issues of Nebraska school, letting his teachers of German/French language handle the rare international events, if such situation arises.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:

You really need to get over your problems with Europeans, the stereotypes are getting ridiculous. I highly doubt you have ever been to Europe based on your comments.

I have never heard of anyone who thinks people should learn the local language if they want to spend a week in Europe. On the contrary, most Europeans try hard to accomodate tourists by speaking to them in English (or sometimes French, German or Spanish). By the way, I don't see what "leftism" has to do with it, the most nationalist people tend to be right-wing. I guess "right-wing" and "European" doesn't really fit your stereotype.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
The BBC is well-known worldwide for being the most global/cosmopolitan and especially since it's the largest broadcaster in the world. I can't think of any other that has wider coverage of world issues -- most are very regional/parochial/national.

Also, almost all the people I know like the BBC, and very few people from other countries I know have many bad things to say about it; I would say, it's well-respected globally.
I happen to agree with this opinion and I often turn to BBC ( or other UK on-line magazines) as a source of information on Russia for example. I find them to be more perceptive and right on target in their approach comparably to the US media for the most part.
I read both Telegraph and Guardian when I want to get more objective point of view on this or that situation.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I happen to agree with this opinion and I often turn to BBC ( or other UK on-line magazines) as a source of information on Russia for example. I find them to be more perceptive and right on target in their approach comparably to the US media for the most part.
I read both Telegraph and Guardian when I want to get more objective point of view on this or that situation.
I agree, the BBC is a good source of information on global affairs. I don't think it's too Anglo-centric at all.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
You really need to get over your problems with Europeans, the stereotypes are getting ridiculous. I highly doubt you have ever been to Europe based on your comments.

I have never heard of anyone who thinks people should learn the local language if they want to spend a week in Europe. On the contrary, most Europeans try hard to accomodate tourists by speaking to them in English (or sometimes French, German or Spanish). By the way, I don't see what "leftism" has to do with it, the most nationalist people tend to be right-wing. I guess "right-wing" and "European" doesn't really fit your stereotype.
I have no problem with Europeans, and I'm going this summer. I do however have a problem with the Europeans who spend their time whining about Americans and British and using just as many, if not more stereotypes against Americans or British than vice versa. Look through this forum or others and you'll see many comments about them complaining that we don't learn their language before coming. Look how the french treat US tourists there for example.

For the record, I think anyone who complains about language is wrong. I am against anyone being forced to learn a language no matter where they live, so even an American I would say the same thing.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with Europeans, and I'm going this summer. I do however have a problem with the Europeans who spend their time whining about Americans and British and using just as many, if not more stereotypes against Americans or British than vice versa. Look through this forum or others and you'll see many comments about them complaining that we don't learn their language before coming. Look how the french treat US tourists there for example.
Right, so your response to this is to throw out a bunch of stereotypes yourself? How mature.

How do you think French people would get treated in the US if they refused to learn even some basic words like "hello", "thank you" and "goodbye"? I don't understand this incredibly negative perception of the French that seems to prevail in the US. I've been to France several times and I don't recognise it at all. The people I've met were very helpful, kind and had no problem speaking English. They're also one of the least patriotic people in the world (I can show you the stats). Again, I have to wonder if you've ever been to France yourself or if you're getting these stereotypes from the internet.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Right, so your response to this is to throw out a bunch of stereotypes yourself? How mature.
I was speaking about a specific group of Europeans who think that. I guess that could go for any other nationality, Americans too. This sentiment does however seem to be most prevalent with Europeans. I did not say that all are like that, but it does exist and there are many more Europeans with the "all Americans are stupid" attitude than the other way around.

Also, if you look at the majority of negative things I say about Europeans, it is typically in defense from when a European is talking bad things about my country. Except my british jokes, but hey that is all in fun, I like the Britsh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World