Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstateNewbie View Post
I was there years ago on a cruise, the part we went to was in complete shambles. If i remember correctly they said they only had one school bus for the kids and the richest people in that area only had a washer (not a dryer).

I searched some homes and they were pretty expensive, most of the homes/condos were going in the highs 70K+ and those were not in the nicest conditions.

I might be looking in the wrong part, could you assist me a little in what part you are referring to?
luxury (or even something equivalent to US standards) is expensive in central america. not good value for your money. your assessment of the place is correct. you could live there on the cheap, but it wouldn't be living like a king.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Belize, Guyana, Kenya, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia

Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Forget the car. Cars cost much more than in the US, in every country in the world, and so does gas. In a place with a low cost of living, there is excellent pubic transportation going everywhere all the time, cheap. Forget the second bedroom, there are families of 6 there living in a place with one bedroom, and that's what makes it affordable.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Laos. Ditch the car get a scooter

Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Laos. Ditch the car get a scooter
I think if you want a country cheap, safe where English is widely spoken that narrows down your options considerably.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think if you want a country cheap, safe where English is widely spoken that narrows down your options considerably.
cheap, safe, english speaking, and clean. the clean requirement narrows it even further. the OP is looking for a country that doesn't exist.

as i said in my original post, he really needs to expand his horizons. he's not going to find what he is looking for with his current mindset.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:40 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstateNewbie View Post

Requirements:

- Not exspensive
- Clean city
- Safe
- English
- Decent population (anything over 5,000)
- Average temperature
- Wont kill me that I am a Jewish white male

If you have any question's please ask and thanks in advance!

Edit: I work over the internet/phone
What is in your eyes a Average temperature?

All the countries where English is the official language are either to expensive, to dangerous or to dirty.

Maybe the Philippines but i heard it can be dangerous (mugging/scamming, a kidnapping and a terrorist attack here and there) and that most cities are very dirty but at least they won't kill you for being a Jew.
Just buy a fast scooter (50 mph is fast enough), you will be faster than all the cars i guarantee you that.
Great beaches, weather and women for cheap!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
Have you looked into intentional communities or work exchange?

WWOOF - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms
Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops

Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
cheap, safe, english speaking, and clean. the clean requirement narrows it even further. the OP is looking for a country that doesn't exist.

as i said in my original post, he really needs to expand his horizons. he's not going to find what he is looking for with his current mindset.
I would say Malaysia comes pretty close.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,978 times
Malaysia sounds good, but isn't it a Muslim country? I think he would either have to learn another language, hang out with mostly other English speaking ex-pats, or relocate to a rural southern US town with a depressed economy. It's pretty cheap around where I live and I actually know a guy who is Jewish and from New York who has managed to survive. He would have to drive about an hour to get to a city where he could go to a synagogue, though. There are no jobs around here, but if he works online it's irrelevant. He could buy a single-wide on an acre of land for about 20K or rent for probably about $300 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World