Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU vs NA
European Union 91 46.67%
North America 104 53.33%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not listed in the OP but:

Affordability/cost of living/practical everyday life: North America
Those are big pluses for North America.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Practical everyday life" though

Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Those are big pluses for North America.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Practical everyday life" though

Everyday life things as varied as store hours, kid-friendly facilities in public places, getting your phone hooked up, getting a licence for your car, getting a permit for basically anything that might involve government, etc.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
I like NA, the US in particular, for its competitive edge, especially in technology, making much of life very convenient, its low effective tax rates and relative bureaucratic simplicity (though figuring out how little tax to pay is still a major headache).

I don't like the US because of, in my view, its inefficient, even depressing, organization of space, basically sprawling suburbia, preferring instead a dense urban environment - really only Manhattan and SF (maybe Chicago and Boston) or, the extreme opposite, a rural environment but not some 200 miles away from the city, more like just outside it.

Much of EU offers that, plus probably its greatest attraction, for me at least, culture and history, but at the expense of asphyxiating and crippling taxes and bureaucracy.

Not part of this thread, but Latin America offers European-type urban/rural environments and relatively low taxes, but lacks in education and, relatively in my view, culture and history.

I couldn't vote your poll because for me it's basically a tie (even a three-way tie).

But for the sake of your list.

Quote:
Cities - EU, but NYC by itself is many cities in one (London and Paris are great too).

Weather - southern Florida and southern California in US, Mediterranean basin in EU.

People - Tie.

Sports - Don't care.

Economy - US has more favorable fiscal policy.

Scenery - Tie. US has greater natural variety, EU has better urban landscape, better urban/rural mix.

Education - US in technology, EU overall cultural education.

Nightlife - Don't care.

Other - See opening statement.

Last edited by bale002; 05-15-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 AM

361 posts, read 837,612 times
Having lived in both:

Cities - NA (I don't like old buildings ...)
Weather - NA (More diverse climate, EU has not tropical/subtropical climate)
People - Ties
Sports - EU
Economy - NA
Scenery - NA
Education -Both
Nightlife -Both even if NA has stupid last call rules.
Other -

Last edited by djmanu; 05-15-2012 at 09:01 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,617 times
Cities - North America because I love skyscrapers. EU is not bad either though.
Weather - Tie
People - North America
Sports - North America, I do not like soccer at all, but that is THE dominating sport in all of Europe.
Economy - no idea, some EU countries are worse off than US/Canada, others are better off.
Scenery - North America
Education - Europe
Nightlife - Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Much of EU offers that, plus probably its greatest attraction, for me at least, culture and history, but at the expense of asphyxiating and crippling taxes and bureaucracy.
I think the United States has a fair amount of bureaucracy as well and it seemed to be a lot more than what I was used from my home country. But then, as a foreigner you always have to go through more bureaucratic hassle than a citizen. Taxes are not that bad if you consider what you get back in return that you would have to pay for in the States.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Having lived in both:
Weather - NA (More diverse climate, EU has not tropical/subtropical climate)
Not exactly true. UE outermost regions include Caribbean and Polynesians islands.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post

I think the United States has a fair amount of bureaucracy as well and it seemed to be a lot more than what I was used from my home country. But then, as a foreigner you always have to go through more bureaucratic hassle than a citizen. Taxes are not that bad if you consider what you get back in return that you would have to pay for in the States.
True, it depends. I run an email-based global service business, I handle no merchandise, I emit no pollution, I make no noise, I touch no-one, I do no local advertising. On the other hand, if you run a manufacturing or industrial repair business or a professional service, like doctor, or food business, for example, you can run into some very rigid and expensive zoning, licensing and insurance regulations and requirements in the US, even absurd ones.

As for value for tax money, there are significant differences among EU countries. I lived in EU countries where it was more take than give, unfortunately, at least by my calculations.

Last edited by bale002; 05-15-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
True, it depends. I run an email-based global service business, I handle no merchandise, I emit no pollution, I make no noise, I touch no-one, I do no local advertising. On the other hand, if you run a manufacturing or industrial repair business or a professional service, like doctor, or food business, for example, you can run into some very rigid and expensive zoning, licensing and insurance regulations and requirements in the US, even absurd ones.
I see your point, with your kind of business many regulations might not be there. No idea if that would be different if you decided to move your business to, say, Austria though.

I first came to the US as a college student with a student visa (and receiving it was a big bureaucratic hassle in itself). You have no idea how much bureaucracy it was to be able to get a $150/month student job. That day I was thinking "If Europe is the king of bureaucracy the US must be the Queen".

Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,633 times
For my sake, I'm going to judge these on countries I know best -- The US (for NA), and Germany (for EU)

Cities - EU. I love the old mixed with the new and the narrow streets, something that just won't happen in NA.
Weather - NA. Climate in general here varies so drastically. Last winter, I was on my back porch, enjoying 80 degree sunshine. The next day, I drove 2 hours and was in 2 feet of snow.
People - EU. In Germany, I was treated with wonderful service, and friendly people. Most everybody in the US seems so fake and superficial. Everything is about looks, and there's a lot of backstabbing and fake smiles.
Sports - EU. I'm a soccer fan (of course, "football" in just about every other country), and never really had much interest in American football, baseball, or basketball. I love a good game of hockey, too, so I guess +1 for Canada.
Economy - NA. Lets face it, the Euro is in decline, and things are cheaper in the United States anyways. I do like the infrastructure in Europe better though (I don't mind the higher taxes, if it means having roads that good).
Scenery - NA. I LOVE the Alps, and many parts of the German countryside, and would love to spend more time there, but NA is just so diverse. I live in the middle of a rocky desert, surrounded by cactuses, and can drive less than 2 hours and be surrounded by rolling pine forests, and tall mountains.
Education - Tie. I like how people in the EU are required to learn multiple languages in grade school. I learned English, Spanish, and German in school, and couldn't imagine just knowing English. Higher education, I like the fact that in Europe it's state-funded (meaning cheap / free for students), but I feel like the US encourages people to seek higher education more, and has more options.
Nightlife - EU. Granted, this could just be because I'm only 20 now (18 when I was in Germany). I can't experience the nightlife here, but loved the nightlife there!
Other - NA. I love our cheap gasoline (I love to drive). I love our inspiring attitude (where anybody can strive to be anything). I love our patriotism (something Germany really doesn't have, until it comes to soccer). I love the HUGE selection of different brands / items in the stores, and how cheap the goods are. I love the variety of foods and cultures (just last week, I went to a Chinese Mexican restaurant. I enjoyed a teriyaki chicken and rice bowl, with a side of beans and horchata to drink). I love our military (I wouldn't have signed up if I didn't). I love our entertainment industry (Europe really doesn't have their own Hollywood). There's just too much to list.

Would I consider living in Europe? Absolutely. Ideally, I want to be stationed in Germany with my military career, but would love to spend at least a few years there regardless. I think both North America and the European Union have a lot of ups and downs. I think, socially the EU is better. They're more tolerant, are less strict regarding drugs and alcohol, and appear to have more respect for their fellow man, and for the environment. The EU also has better infrastructure, with an advanced rail system, high quality roads, high speed mobile data, and better television content. The EU has more history, and neat old buildings. But I think America has more opportunities. America is more affordable, and encourages you to follow your dreams, and do what you want to do.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:09 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times
Living in America is much better if your the type of person who is interested in having a big house in the suburbs, with 2 cars, swimming pool and that kind of lifestyle and working hard & long hours... Europe doesn't have that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World