Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM

64 posts, read 136,053 times

Advertisements

Rob & Chatteress: Where do you both call home ?

Last edited by Chester Foster; 06-06-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 03:49 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Yes and I do live in Miami (just moved back). IMO, it's the only major city in the US where you can experience a very different dominant culture. Miami is certainly not for everyone and it took me considerable time to even not dislike it, but it grew on me and I am glad to be back, despite the known issues with the place. You do need quite a thick skin to live here and acceptance that things don't happen quite the same as they happen in other parts of the US. You do have to keep your guard up sometimes am be careful not to stray into bad areas that aren't as "obvious" as in other US cities and if you don't know where you're going, it can be easy to make a wrong turn.

I think that it's a good place for singles or childless/childfree couples. There are a plethora of high rise condos available for those who like high rise living. It's not frowned upon for 40 and 50 somethings to go to bars; no one cares. People seem to continue trying to have fun later in life, unlike in other US cities I've been to or lived in where fun stops after college age.

If hearing Spanish bothers you for whatever reason, don't bother. I would also not recommend moving here without a job lined up first.

As a European immigrant, I think I would only choose Miami, NYC, LA or San Francisco to live in. All very different, yet very international cities.

Wow! I remember seeing you on the Boston forum expressing how you missed Miami.

I'm stuck in Boston for another 1-1.5 years but I miss Miami so much. I love how open and vibrant the lifestyle is down there.

You are an interesting case because you left Miami tired of it, moved to the city I'm in, and went back to Miami.

Anyways, how does it feel to be back? Are you still adjusting? Do you miss Boston?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Wow! I remember seeing you on the Boston forum expressing how you missed Miami.

I'm stuck in Boston for another 1-1.5 years but I miss Miami so much. I love how open and vibrant the lifestyle is down there.

You are an interesting case because you left Miami tired of it, moved to the city I'm in, and went back to Miami.

Anyways, how does it feel to be back? Are you still adjusting? Do you miss Boston?
Well, I left Miami largely because my wife wanted out. It took me a while, but I eventually adjusted and grew to like it. I had no objections moving to MA, but it just never felt "right". I loved the city of Boston, the charm, the architecture, the public transport and the walkability. I loved New England in general, scenery wise. Although I probably wouldn't opt to live there again, I will definitely be back to visit. The bottom line is that it felt too straight laced for me, after spending 8 years in Miami and being completely used to the Latin culture and even the climate, which I hated at first. I'm not going to knock Boston because it's a wonderful city, but I struggled with the social aspect, especially at work or when I'd go out. The reservedness is nothing like the British reservedness, which is what I was hoping that it'd remind me of.

I only got back 2 days ago and have just found a place to live in North Miami. It feels & felt good to be back, despite the sketchiness that was instantly apparent and the searing heat. Not much has changed since I left over a year ago, although 826 has more lanes than I remember. Publix seems better than it used to be, although that's because Stop & Shop sucks! The drivers are still loca, but I find it easier driving here than in/around Boston.

Don't feel bad about being stuck in Boston. Finish your studies and look to move back to Miami, but try to have a job or decent savings lined up. If you (like me) can take the rough with the smooth, this ain't such a bad old place to live, despite its irritations.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM

There is something about South Florida ..... I cannot pin point what that is. I feel ok here but I can live almost anywhere within reason. I have family up north Florida. Some days are good, other days I ask myself why am I here? I knwo the service here reeks. A lot of immigrants, and seems like people are rude compared to other big US cities.

Last edited by Chester Foster; 06-06-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
Miami is a very beautiful city and definitely worth a visit or two but I can't picture myself living there.

If the job market was better, the city was more walkable and there wasn't such a massive language barrier than Miami would be an amazing place.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
I love Miami. I'd love to live in South Beach or Aventura or even up the coast a bit more into Broward County.

That being said, what discourages me is that the cost of living is high relative to the cost of housing. It sounds like a large 'sunshine' tax. While Miami seems significantly more interesting than most other American cities....I don't necessarily think it's all-the-way-around better to suffer financially to live there.

I'd rather suffer financially and live in Honolulu, for example.

Another issue is my age. If I were single and in my 20s, Miami would be a top destination. As a married guy with a family, I wouldn't be able to have any fun whatsoever, and would probably have more stress raising a son in that city.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
The heat and humidity is tough. The best way to get used to it is to spend as much time outdoors as possible, though in short bursts as the sun is super powerful.

As for the Spanish thing, you don't really need it. I speak very little and don't have a problem. Most Spanish speakers are bilingual, or at least know enough English to get by.
i really don't get why tbh Since when is 90 hot? lol i know it's all to personal preference but something about 90 being too hot doesn't make sense. your own body wants to be at 98!

anyways, everytime i'm in miami (except between december and march) i take off my shirt, and just stroll around in shorts and flip flops feeling the sun. It couldn't be more perfect. Even fully dressed it isn't too bad imo though no longer comfortable (mia always has a nice breeze). i think you white guys simply cannot stand the sun. up here in detroit even when it gets warm (80/90) something about it just doesn't feel warm enough and i think that's because the sun is weak and my skin wants it to be stronger.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM

Any posters who says Florida's humidity is easy, is nuts ........... I'm Native, and after 46 years, every year I get lazier and lazier .... High humidity makes you unmotivated and lazy.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Foster View Post
Rob & Chatteress: Where do you both call home ?
Los Angeles metro area ...

Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Foster View Post
Any posters who says Florida's humidity is easy, is nuts ........... I'm Native, and after 46 years, every year I get lazier and lazier .... High humidity makes you unmotivated and lazy.
the cold wants me to be indoors. yeah the heat isn't going to make me run a marathon but i'll be on that beach. the sun gives me energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World