Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The OECD Better Life Index ranked Australia as #1 for me.

#2 was Norway, #3 was the USA. Sweden and Switzerland round out the top 5.

Canada came in 7th. The UK came in 12th.

I want a do-over!

OECD
Interesting, mine came out as 1)Australia, 2)Norway, 3)Switerland and 4)Canada 5)Estonia I suppose Australia suits me as its what i grew up with. Ive left pernamently twice, and come back both times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Yes, most European countries and probably Canada as well...

Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,960,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
At least based on my experience, my personality and lifestyle is really very different from the typical culture of my country.

For instance over here, its perfectly normal for people to work their butt off for at least 10 hours and to be late for their meetings and appointments all the time.

I, on the other hand, am a pretty laidback guy who can't imagine myself working like crazy and am usually punctual and expect others to do the same.

So yeah apart from me, anyone else feel the same way?

If so, which country fit your needs better and why?
Not sure if America and a laid back sort of guy is really a marriage made in heaven. There are a few possibilities. South East Asia works out well for a number of folk wanting to escape the thread mill.

Europe folk work hard as well but there seems far more payback. By this I mean in holidays and how folk live their life. Of course subjective and if one is doing it tough then everywhere can be hard.

I know folk in Europe not living very material lives and others that do. There are some great cities that cater more for those not chasing the get rich mirage and living very interesting lives.
Berlin comes to mind. Prague was like that but may have moved on as has Amsterdam to an extent.
Some of the Eastern Lands in Europe that I have no experience in but could be worth considering.
For example...Poland,Romania, Montronegro,Albania..........

Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,960,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Interesting, mine came out as 1)Australia, 2)Norway, 3)Switerland and 4)Canada 5)Estonia I suppose Australia suits me as its what i grew up with. Ive left pernamently twice, and come back both times.
The guy wants a laid back style and not too much tied up in the work ethic. Australia in my view is barely any of these things any more. The cost of living far greater than America and the increasing influence of the need to obtain high paying employment sort of rules Oz out in my view...

Estonia though perhaps? Or Latvia?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,924,923 times
I contemplated that plenty of European and Asian countries might be just as good for my lifestyle/personality and maybe even better.

For European countries that qualify for this: France, UK/England, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium.

For Asian countries that qualify for this: China, Thailand, Japan, South Korea, India, Singapore,Taiwan.

That also appears to be true for Canada and Australia.

I live in the USA. Some areas of the USA is horrible and not appropriate for my personality/lifestyle such as most of the South/Southeast.

There is still other areas of the USA that is good and valuable for my personality/lifestyle such as the Pacific Northwest, California, some parts of the Midwest, and parts of the Northeast.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:50 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,456 times
Most of northern (Germanic) Europe would be a great fit for me. I don't fit in here in the US.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:25 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,117,824 times
Spain suits my personality more than Scotland and the US did because of the laid back lifestyle, the culture and I can lead more of an outdoors lifestyle too. People are so much more relaxed.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 AM

355 posts, read 977,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
Is there a country that has hot blonde women, free beer, and a gun distribution programme? If so, please tell me.
I guess Czech Republic comes closest with (for EU standards) very liberal gun laws, very cheap and good beer, and decent-looking women. I suppose Czech would get 70-80% in all three categories you just mentioned...

Old 07-07-2012, 01:56 PM

142 posts, read 443,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I used to think so. Until I actually went abroad and experienced foreign living first hand. This country is the best country for me. I am never living elsewhere.
I was the same. I couldn't wait to travel extensively and work abroad as i thought Britain was terrible, since having gone away and done all of those things i now appreciate how great this country is and what a wonderful city London is to live in.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 PM

210 posts, read 565,906 times
I'm Cuban but I feel Brazilian at heart haha. Such a fun country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World