Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:18 AM

88 posts, read 235,215 times

Advertisements

Racism exists everywhere. Much more extreme in places but you'll never be completely free from it. The best you can do is to worry less about such things and focus on yourself and the positive things around you. This is coming from an AA living in Germany with Neo Nazi's walking around everywhere.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I have lived in NY/CT/VA/SC/AL/CA/Or and HI. Hawaii could give a crap what color you are. Only you will care.
Actually, that is not true at all. Hawaii is just as anti-black as anywhere else in America. Try renting a home there as a black person and get back to me.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX-AMERICAN View Post
Depends on which areas of Africa. Gabon is more rich than Mexico, Romania, Turkey and Bulgaria. The African countries Botswana and Namibia get richer and developing pretty quick. Those African countries have excellent future ahead of them.
I'm actually thinking about Angola.....which may turn into the Brazil of Africa some day.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:37 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Actually, that is not true at all. Hawaii is just as anti-black as anywhere else in America. Try renting a home there as a black person and get back to me.
Okay, I rented and bought here. But. All of my friends that are black are pretty mature, and never speak of racism like they experienced in the southern states of GA and SC.
I cant rent as a Black person, I am white. Sorry, i am not a Michael Jackson freak of nature than can change color..

Old 08-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Okay, I rented and bought here. But. All of my friends that are black are pretty mature, and never speak of racism like they experienced in the southern states of GA and SC.
As an officer of the University of Hawaii, I was mature too. I don't make claims of racism lightly. Let's just say I saw several incidences of blatant racism while I lived in Honolulu - some involving my own family. There was no ambiguity. I was also told by many locals about how some (usually AJA) landlords swore that they would never rent to blacks.

Just because Hawaii isn't comparable on most levels to the American South doesn't mean that there aren't racists on the Islands, and that their anti-black bias is not real.

Quote:

I cant rent as a Black person, I am white. Sorry, i am not a Michael Jackson freak of nature than can change color..

Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM

72 posts, read 112,244 times
Quote:
LOL this is BS. The only people who get crap in Hawaii are Haolies or White people. Mostly because of how the military behaves.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
As an officer of the University of Hawaii, I was mature too. I don't make claims of racism lightly. Let's just say I saw several incidences of blatant racism while I lived in Honolulu - some involving my own family. There was no ambiguity. I was also told by many locals about how some (usually AJA) landlords swore that they would never rent to blacks.

Just because Hawaii isn't comparable on most levels to the American South doesn't mean that there aren't racists on the Islands, and that their anti-black bias is not real.
Racism is different here. Have you ever noticed how they refer to people as their Chinese friend, Japanese friend. And of course every Asian here seems to act/say they are Hawaiian when it is convenient.
Regardless, it is what it is.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrod King View Post
LOL this is BS. The only people who get crap in Hawaii are Haolies or White people. Mostly because of how the military behaves.
AHH, the military. Sounds like someone is a little upset we are here. Dont generalize the military due to your experiences. If it wasnt for the military and the US presence, this place would have been speaking Japanese or Russian(Actually there is a Russian Fort here on the islands, and if are Carriers weren't here Dec 7, 41, we would have been screwed). Get over it.. Dan Inoye is the one who has kept the military here. In my opinion we should be on Kauai and Maui..
Haolies is used like the N word sometimes, even though it isnt meant to be. But losers who do use it in a derogatory way are racist ignorant fools.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Racism is different here. Have you ever noticed how they refer to people as their Chinese friend, Japanese friend. And of course every Asian here seems to act/say they are Hawaiian when it is convenient.
Regardless, it is what it is.
I know all about how pake, buddaheads, pilifinos, potagee, etc. are described. And I know what/how it is. Yes, racism has a local flavor all its own. I also remember how some locals threw the n-word at a group of girls from an African American halau in town for the Merrie Monarch. Talk about the aloha spirit..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrod King View Post
I'll remember that the next time my wife gets stopped by police in her own neighborhood for trying to go to a garage sale. The Chief got an earful after that.

Do you live in Hawaii, or have you lived there? If so, how many actual black people do you know there?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 AM

I have been here 12 years, friends from all over, different ethnicity's etc. I don't recognize people by colors, etc. I still cant speak pigeon, and never really cared to try. But, I can understand it, most of the time...
Leaving the rock in 3 weeks, to never come back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World