Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:55 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What about the Karakoram and Hindu Kush? I think both beat the Altai in terms of spectacularness at least.
Yeah, those too, and the Pamirs. Lots of interesting nationalities and ancient cultures in the area, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 AM

136 posts, read 235,751 times
Cascades in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 AM

68 posts, read 108,980 times
I believe the Alaska Range and Denali are the most spectacular mountain formation I have ever seen.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:31 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
I think the Andes are certainly up there, and are also very diverse with a lot of different scenery from tropical rainforest, to windswept pampas, the antiplato, fiords etc. But of course the Asian ranges are higher, I just like the scenic contrasts in South America more. The Denali range in Alaska is up there, especially Mt McKinley.
Apparently diversity of terrain, ecosystem, etc are irrelevant to a mountain range's desirability. From reading this thread (and the many others like it), plainly, the only criteria by which to judge a mountain range, is the same as that of a woman, the size and bareness of the tetons.

:-)

Old 09-30-2012, 05:05 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,104 times
Organ Mountains in southern New Mexico.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Apparently diversity of terrain, ecosystem, etc are irrelevant to a mountain range's desirability. From reading this thread (and the many others like it), plainly, the only criteria by which to judge a mountain range, is the same as that of a woman, the size and bareness of the tetons.

:-)
Reminds me of Shakira comparing her breasts to mountains.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 AM

56 posts, read 88,045 times
Sierra Nevadas in the fall

Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,727 times
Black Forest (Schwarzwald)

Although not as high as most other mountain ranges it is my favourite. Easily accessible it offers more hiking trails than other ranges. Also, as most of my ancestors originate from there I also consider it my "heimat" (home).

Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM

67 posts, read 77,223 times
Alps, Austria.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
Quote:
I think the Andes are certainly up there, and are also very diverse with a lot of different scenery from tropical rainforest, to windswept pampas, the antiplato, fiords etc. But of course the Asian ranges are higher, I just like the scenic contrasts in South America more. The Denali range in Alaska is up there, especially Mt McKinley.
I thought you would at least say the Himalayas, European Alps, New Zealand Southern Alps, and Cascades before the Andes just because you feel closer culturally to Australia/New Zealand/Asia/Europe/North America than South America.

I enjoy and respect 8 other mountain ranges more than the Andes for their exact location and immediate surroundings the most, even though I still like the Andes:

Alps in Switzerland/France/Austria/Italy

Himalayas in China/India/Bhutan/Nepal

Cascades in USA/Canada.

Pamirs, Tian Shans, and Altais in Kyrgyzstan/Western China/Kazakhstan/Tajikistan

Caucasus in Georgia/Azerbaijan/Southwestern Russia

Rockies in USA/Canada

Yushan range in Taiwan

Sierra Nevada in USA

After the Andes in Argentina/Chile/Peru/Ecuador these are other mountain ranges I enjoy and respect:

Pyrenees in France/Spain

Japanese Alps in Japan

Hawaiian mountains

New Zealand Southern Alps

Coastal South/Southeast Alaska mountains.

Corsica island France mountains

I find the Interior Alaska Brooks range in Denali so overrated, and I enjoy at least 18 other mountain ranges before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World