Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
How come Houston does not have a subway system? I am aware that it is at sea level. Amsterdam is at sea level but it has a subway system. In addition Hong Kong has a subway system even though it can be subject to Typhoons and I am aware that Houston can be subject to hurricanes. Hong Kong and Amsterdam are far more world known and much more popular destinations for tourists compared to Houston.
It's gotta be money. The downtown actually has an extensive network of tunnels with stores to keep people cool in the summer, the same way Montreal has tunnels with stores to keep people warm in winters, so they could have done it. Way too much of their system is at grade and interacts with street traffic, and will continue to be, it seems. At the very least, they could have done an elevated system, as did Vancouver with SkyTrain. Houston really needed a dedicated-rail system more so than light-rail.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Judging from the comments in this thread, Europeans seem to know more about Houston than I could tell you about any European city outside of London, Paris, Milan, Rome, or Amsterdam...so go figure.

Houston isn't a tourist's city, and it's not a Hollywood darling (since we know that is how most foreigners get their knowledge of the US). There's no dramatic scenery or any storied historical events that took place here. Still, it's easily one of the most underrated American cities. It's a better place to live than it is to visit. It's easily one of the most culturally diverse cities in the nation with unexpected offerings of world class ammenities, from dining, to retail, and the arts. Quite frankly, if more people knew about all that Houston had to offer, it would be more crowded than it already is, and that's not really a good thing.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Judging from the comments in this thread, Europeans seem to know more about Houston than I could tell you about any European city outside of London, Paris, Milan, Rome, or Amsterdam...so go figure.

Houston isn't a tourist's city, and it's not a Hollywood darling (since we know that is how most foreigners get their knowledge of the US). There's no dramatic scenery or any storied historical events that took place here. Still, it's easily one of the most underrated American cities. It's a better place to live than it is to visit. It's easily one of the most culturally diverse cities in the nation with unexpected offerings of world class ammenities, from dining, to retail, and the arts. Quite frankly, if more people knew about all that Houston had to offer, it would be more crowded than it already is, and that's not really a good thing.

Yeah, if they just knew... then..

Old 10-01-2012, 06:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's gotta be money. The downtown actually has an extensive network of tunnels with stores to keep people cool in the summer, the same way Montreal has tunnels with stores to keep people warm in winters, so they could have done it. Way too much of their system is at grade and interacts with street traffic, and will continue to be, it seems. At the very least, they could have done an elevated system, as did Vancouver with SkyTrain. Houston really needed a dedicated-rail system more so than light-rail.
Part of the new line east of downtown is elevated.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's gotta be money. The downtown actually has an extensive network of tunnels with stores to keep people cool in the summer, the same way Montreal has tunnels with stores to keep people warm in winters, so they could have done it.
I think it has more to due with the city's infrastructure. Also having as city full of NIMBY's that think they live in the suburbs doesn't help much either.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
The tunnels close during the early evenings as do the businesses unless they changed the hours recently. Nightlife in downtown hasn't been the same since the late 90s. I enjoyed it much better back then. I'm hoping more people don't move to Houston. Traffic is starting to become awful.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I drove through Houston. Not impressed. Houston boosters are like those people who think new suburbs are the best way to live and anything old is bad. It's all hot air, there's nothing there.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
Houston, probably not. At least not to most internationals. I know to mexico houston is international because its one of the largest us cities to mexico similarly to how phoenix is important to people in northern mexico. On a global scale however, houston does little to make it on radar.

I dont want this to lead into a comparison thread between texan cities but, dallas is far more known internationally than houston. It has more of a culutural spread and is often seen as the center of texas by most people. Houston acts like the second largest city rather than the first.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I drove through Houston. Not impressed. Houston boosters are like those people who think new suburbs are the best way to live and anything old is bad. It's all hot air, there's nothing there.
Oh, please spare me. You're from and live in AUSTRALIA, but you hang out around the US forums constantly and pretend to posess some extensive knowledge of our regions and our cities. And if memory serves me correctly, you've started several threads in the Texas forum, expressing interest in our culture.

You're located seas away from us, and you're clearly no expert on Houston or what it offers.

As horrible as Houston is supposed to be, I'm noticing quite a few City Data posters are clearly obsessed with it. Houston threads stay flooded with those who claim this city is irrelevant to them. If I have to be a "booster/homer/troll" for stating the truth, then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I only saw Houston from afar
Nuff said.

Last edited by Nairobi; 10-01-2012 at 09:50 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Houston, probably not. At least not to most internationals. I know to mexico houston is international because its one of the largest us cities to mexico similarly to how phoenix is important to people in northern mexico. On a global scale however, houston does little to make it on radar.

I dont want this to lead into a comparison thread between texan cities but, dallas is far more known internationally than houston. It has more of a culutural spread and is often seen as the center of texas by most people. Houston acts like the second largest city rather than the first.
Dallas is only popular for being considered the hub of every goofy Texas stereotype that exists. Nothing about it is more "cultural" than Houston.

Last edited by Nairobi; 10-01-2012 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.