Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one if your favorite
NYC 121 37.81%
Paris 50 15.63%
Tokyo 51 15.94%
London 98 30.63%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 AM

456 posts, read 1,171,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny blood View Post
I've only been to Paris and I live in London. Paris has to be the most overrated city in Europe. Sure it is beautiful and Parisians are a lot more friendly than people on internet fora seem to think, but it isn't functional, it lacks London's vibrancy, the infracture is messy and the food not so good. The nightlife is also nonexistent, at least for me. I don't see myself leaving Europe anytime soon, so the Big Smoke is for the time being the center of my Universe. If I *had* to leave London I'd go to Munich. NYC seems to be an awesome city overall, with unreal diversity and unlimited opportunities but I think that the lack of green spaces there would grind my gears.
Did you seriously just say the food in Paris is bad compared to the food in London?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,986,026 times
I'm 22, my opinions change by the day but lately I've been more insular and restrictive and my standards for "livable" for me have started to become even more strict.

New York/Tokyo
London

Those are the ones I could live in, in that same order.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:53 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,864,121 times
Of the four, I've only been to NYC and Tokyo. NYC is my favourite city in the world, but Tokyo is also a great city. Just like NYC, Tokyo is best appreciated outside of the major tourist areas. But Tokyo is very homogenous, and outside the major tourist areas like Ginza, you can feel pretty lonely as a foreigner. NYC, on the other hand, has great diversity.

I won't vote in the poll because I can't compare NYC and Tokyo to Paris and London, but of the two I've visited I prefer New York. Still, Tokyo is awesome and comparable to New York in many ways. New York is just more my kind of city, probably cause I was born in Toronto to American parents so the culture is much more familiar to me.

At the same time I worry about New York, that it's losing its edge and becoming sterile under Bloomberg, that it's gentrifying too much and no longer has the strong middle-class presence (at least in Manhattan) that made it an attractive place for people to start their lives, not just the wealthy transplants you mostly find there now. So while NYC remains my favourite city in the world, I worry that it's losing touch with its roots, losing that rough-around-the-edges charm that once defined it. So many of the artists and musicians who made New York a cultural Mecca in times past could never live there nowadays with the cost of living what it is. Sure, there is still lots of arts and culture in NYC, but it is mostly a city for people who have already established themselves, not a place for people to come and make their dreams come true. NYC certainly has an incredibly rich and amazing history - I hope it's future is just as great, and not defined solely by Wall St. and the monied, successful consumers who know how to consume culture, but don't know much about making it.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
Did you seriously just say the food in Paris is bad compared to the food in London?
PinkBunny I think you come out with more 'stereotypes' than anybody else on this site - I think you will find that London actually has a greater number of 5 star restaurants than Paris - I am not saying the food is 'better' but I dont think you can conclusively prove that either way, not without reverting to stereotypes.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,270,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
PinkBunny I think you come out with more 'stereotypes' than anybody else on this site - I think you will find that London actually has a greater number of 5 star restaurants than Paris - I am not saying the food is 'better' but I dont think you can conclusively prove that either way, not without reverting to stereotypes.
Let's face it "easthome"... Even if some 5 star chefs have founded good restaurants which serve non-British food. Cuisine, like weather, is really far to be the field in which England is best at... Your country has many other valuable things but definilty not this one.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,856,529 times
Lol, stuck in the the past french user. Some of THE BEST restaurants are in London.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,270,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
See Paul's post, you are just quoting stereotypical stuff without ever looking at some facts.
OK, I was wrong, obviously it is a fact that the UK has the best food in Europe and the world, everyboday knows that. Also, British wines are the best in the world exceptional thanks to the warm almost mediterranean weather. When visiting London the most dangerous thing that can happen is getting a sunburn, everbody knows this. Fortunally English people are identical to Sicilians, and as such are naturally protected against the hard English solar radiations...

Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,856,529 times
Nope, you're throwing accusations at us that you are guilty of doing. All we are saying is that London cuisine is on par with a lot of the other big hitters.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
OK, I was wrong, obviously it is a fact that the UK has the best food in Europe and the world, everyboday knows that. Also, British wines are the best in the world exceptional thanks to the warm almost mediterranean weather. When visiting London the most dangerous thing that can happen is getting a sunburn, everbody knows this. Fortunally English people are identical to Sicilians, and as such are naturally protected against the hard English solar radiations...
Where have we said that English food is 'the best in the world?'!! That is the sort of statement that the French will use but not the English! What rubbish are you saying about the weather for gods sake? Where has anybody said that the most dangerous thing about London is sunburn!!! And finally show me where anybody has said English people are identical to Sicilians!!! What planet are you on!

Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,106,147 times
Man, do these photos make me want to go back there!

NYC is the greatest city in the world, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World