Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:11 AM

468 posts, read 616,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Having been to Sydney, it is nothing like any American city I can think of. It is far more like a British or European city than it is like an American one.
Strangest observation I've ever heard. Sydney is more like a North American city rather than a British city. That's why they used it as a generic American city in The Matrix, because it could blend in so easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,326 times
To give a bit of an idea what Sydney's vibrancy and street scenes are like, to those who haven't been there, this thread might help you out

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...057383&page=67

Old 11-08-2013, 03:05 AM

201 posts, read 416,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
I thought car dependency in Sydney was pretty low. It should be that way anyway, a big city that relies on cars doesn't really work imo.
Depends on which part of Sydney. The downtown is not dependant on cars at all, the traffic and expensive parking make a car the worst way possible to commute to the downtown, starting from the harbour bridge. Generally people park at the train station in a car dependant suburb and take the train, in fact cars account for only around 10% of commutes to the downtown. However much of the metro area is very car dependant for day to day activities such as shopping and going to school.

Why, here's the driving conditions at rush hour in the downtown:

Also take a look at this video of a bicycle trip through the downtown starting at the Harbour Bridge at around lunch time. Note at at round 3:00 as he heads down King Street towards the core of the city. And 5:00, Castlereagh Street.
You're pretty crazy to bicycle in the city, it's not bike friendly. In spite of the efforts to pacify it with bike lanes.

Last edited by Mornnb; 11-08-2013 at 03:33 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 08:18 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Looking at these pictures of downtown Sydney seem like what I imagine downtown LA will become in a decade from now.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:26 AM

165 posts, read 277,000 times
Sydney is like Philadelphia on steroid with strong European vibrancy, and rest of the city is laid out like San Diego sprawl with similar beaches.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:35 AM

Despite that, Downtown Sydney is not the center of all things like nightlife, entertainment and culture unfortunately. It's scattered throughout the little neighborhoods. It's crowded because of sheer density of many neighborhoods so close by. Where I stayed on the edge of downtown, I see wall to wall people walking out of downtown daily to all those district close as if they were trampling the downtown core on the way out. Downtown is now also home to a lot new residences. There is a financial district just to the northeast of downtown where people flock also. Still, downtown is dense and crowded which is better than most American cities.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 PM

242 posts, read 368,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Despite that, Downtown Sydney is not the center of all things like nightlife, entertainment and culture unfortunately. It's scattered throughout the little neighborhoods. It's crowded because of sheer density of many neighborhoods so close by. Where I stayed on the edge of downtown, I see wall to wall people walking out of downtown daily to all those district close as if they were trampling the downtown core on the way out. Downtown is now also home to a lot new residences. There is a financial district just to the northeast of downtown where people flock also. Still, downtown is dense and crowded which is better than most American cities.
Actually most cities are like that here in the US...

Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 AM

It's like Chicago in Southern California with a European twist to it.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 AM

I might add much more vibrant and safer to the mix with San Diego like beaches on the outskirts

Old 11-21-2013, 03:03 PM

242 posts, read 368,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
It's like Chicago in Southern California with a European twist to it.
Sydney is vibrant but I think comparing it to Chicago might be a reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World