Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:53 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No way the americans are over friendly.
Most Americans are more genial and warm to strangers than other Westerners, but very few will stand up to help their so-called "friends" if doing so might have a long term negative impact on them. I realize as an American I may be part of the problem even though I try not to be, but if the chips were down I'd be much more confident in my odds if I had a Scot or Englishman by my side than most Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:56 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Most Americans are more genial and warm to strangers than other Westerners, but very few will stand up to help their so-called "friends" if doing so might have a long term negative impact on them. I realize as an American I may be part of the problem even though I try not to be, but if the chips were down I'd be much more confident in my odds if I had a Scot or Englishman by my side than most Americans.
True. When I was in China, it was easy and natural to borrow cash from friends. I did that in both ways.
When I studied in the US, I was naive enough to borrow money from an American "friend", and learned my lesson.
But I got help from a Korean.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:02 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
yeah, Americans are friendly but that's more of a cultural trait, you are supposed to have faith in yourself and the world and smile at everyone. I have had several american friends living in Europe who gradually changed their habits, like a female friend who used to smile at everyone in the street and would sometimes (often) get harassed by guys.

I grew up in France, and as a kid you learn "not to speak to strangers", that you can't trust people you don't know and that it's impolite and rude to disturb strangers or to speak to a random person on the street. You usually learn to know people in the long term and it takes time to make friends.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:39 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
yeah, Americans are friendly but that's more of a cultural trait, you are supposed to have faith in yourself and the world and smile at everyone. I have had several american friends living in Europe who gradually changed their habits, like a female friend who used to smile at everyone in the street and would sometimes (often) get harassed by guys.

I grew up in France, and as a kid you learn "not to speak to strangers", that you can't trust people you don't know and that it's impolite and rude to disturb strangers or to speak to a random person on the street. You usually learn to know people in the long term and it takes time to make friends.
I must admit, I like very much these traits of the french people.
In general, people in France may have all the faults of the world, but the lack of trustworthiness is not amongst them. It's hard to have friendship with frenchmen and women, but when they are our friends, they ARE our friends.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 PM

138 posts, read 130,673 times
People here aren't interested once they have their friends!

Old 04-18-2015, 07:08 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I must admit, I like very much these traits of the french people.
In general, people in France may have all the faults of the world, but the lack of trustworthiness is not amongst them. It's hard to have friendship with frenchmen and women, but when they are our friends, they ARE our friends.
yeah, the reverse side is that it can take forever to meet people and go beyond the polite chit-chat.

For instance it is rude to not say "hello" to someone living in your apartment building, but it can also be intrusive to say more, especially if you first meet. Depends on the context. We make use of various forms of politeness, and this can be tricky to understand, even for people who were born there.

Also, there are regional / social variations, I think in some southern areas or in ex-industrial blue collar zones (for instance in the north near Belgium or for instance the city of Saint-Etienne) it is a bit easier to talk to people in a direct way, at least in my experience.

I really like the friendliness of Americans, but as a French, my mind is always amazed at how nice they are and to me this instinctively mean they want to be friends forever, whereas in reality they might not talk to me again in some other context.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:58 AM

440 posts, read 662,583 times
This is western privacy, it is not acceptable to ask too many questions when just met. But at least people will tell you where are they from.

In Japan, another East Asian country, it is not socially acceptable to ask too many personal questions too. There is also a stricter social hirreachy depending on the age and position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Westerners are sensitive to too many things. They don't ask about age, wage, religion, career, weight, marriage status.... and eventually you know nothing about other people.
If you go to China, for example, the first question is "how old are you"? Followed by "What do you do?.., How much do you make as a XXX in America?"

Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 PM

360 posts, read 982,909 times
Ease in making (and keeping friends) really depends on the individual but I do find that it would be much easier to make and keep them if you go out of your way to learn and adopt their culture, language and lifestyles (rather than expect them to accept you for who you are even though you are friendly and outgoing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World