Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
There is also another reason why many Americans don't travel abroad and isn't often mentioned. They get a lot less holiday/vacation time than those in other countries. Many people only get 2 weeks a year and some only a week. To do a proper trip abroad you need a minimum of 2 weeks and that uses up all the time you might split up for domestic trips and trips to see family, etc.

Also the dollar isn't worth much when you convert it to other currencies. It's $900-1,000 just for a flight to Europe from the eastern US. And if you have a family....
Right, I did mention the vacation time thing. For instance, my son has been living in Korea for three years, and I haven't been able to visit him. The first year, I had to use most of my vacation time to have surgery and recover from it. The second year was a long-time planned trip to Central Europe as a graduation present for another child. Then last year I had to use much of my vacation for a family emergency. Now - finally, I don't work, but he's moving to Hawaii in a few months, so I'll just wait to visit him there! Thank goodness he had a month of vacation per year so he could come home for a visit.

By the way, that upcoming trip to Hawaii won't count as an international trip - LOL! Yep - STILL in the States, even though I could be in Europe in less time!

When we flew from Texas to Belgium and then back via Frankfurt last year, the airline tickets were $1400 EACH. Yes, times four. Then ten days, a rental car, hotels, sites, etc. Sheeze! I mean, it was fun and definitely worth the money, and we will do it again this next year (to the UK) - but most Americans can't afford this sort of trip often, if ever.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
I checked past threads to see if this has been done before, which I don't think it has. Anyway, the title explains it all.

Is it because of American tv (which portrays us in the worst light possible, and most of it is not real anyway)?
Because we are a superpower?
Is it because of the "American ignorance"?

Please feel free to answer my question

I think its more the government than the people. When you're the world's dominant superpower you will be subject to the ire of some folks. I'm actually looking forward to when the world hates on China.

Yes there are ugly american tourists, but there are also ugly tourists of different countries. For the most part folks don't seem to hate yanks, just the government, of course there are exceptions. Funny when I vacationed in Vietnam I thought they would hate Americans, but to the contrary. When I lived in australia, during the second term of King George, I'd constantly get teased for the "idots that voited for Bush a second time". they loved Americans but not George (in addition to former Prime Minister Howard whom many felt had his head way up George' bum).

Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I often hear this argument as an excuse for Americans not knowing much about the outside world. They say that the US is so huge that one could travel his whole life without having seen everything (agreed on that btw), so there's no need to travel abroad. Then they say it can't be compared to "teeny-weeny Europe" where you could hop on a train and be in 5 different countries within 10 hrs. Why not compare yourself to other big countries? I bet Canadians or Australians are much more well-traveled than Americans. Despite being at least as far away from another country as the US.
Maybe the Australia comparison could work, but not Canada. 90% of us Canadians live within 200km of the US border, and we need a passport to get to that country of some 300 million people. Obviously a greater proportion of us is going to have a passport.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times
I don't think most people that appear to hate the USA, actually do. Many people that appear to be uneasy with the USA, in reality are not too happy with US foreign policy, especially when it concerns their country or countries similar to their own.

On the other hand, Americans tend to be oblivious to everything the US government does in the rest of the world and this often leads many Americans to feel as if many foreigners hate the USA for no apparent reason. But there are reasons for the animosity, not necessarily towards the USA, but rather as a response to some US foreign policy.

If you notice, many people that feel uneasy with the USA hardly ever would take their animosity against a particular American. They know that the people of a country is one thing and the government is something else, and usually the people of a country don't really know what their government is doing abroad. This is what happens in Iran, at least judging from a documentary I once saw on television. The people themselves said that they would never take out their anger on any American, that they simply have issues with the US government. That they love US culture and US people, but the government is something else, especially when it concerns the Iranian-US relationship, which is not the most fluid between any two governments.

Then there are the charlatans that tell people that the US is the most evil country on earth and people just eat it up. In some countries, like in Iran, the charlatans are the politicians.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM

362 posts, read 665,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I don't think most people that appear to hate the USA, actually do. Many people that appear to be uneasy with the USA, in reality are not too happy with US foreign policy, especially when it concerns their country or countries similar to their own.

On the other hand, Americans tend to be oblivious to everything the US government does in the rest of the world and this often leads many Americans to feel as if many foreigners hate the USA for no apparent reason. But there are reasons for the animosity, not necessarily towards the USA, but rather as a response to some US foreign policy.

If you notice, many people that feel uneasy with the USA hardly ever would take their animosity against a particular American. They know that the people of a country is one thing and the government is something else, and usually the people of a country don't really know what their government is doing abroad. This is what happens in Iran, at least judging from a documentary I once saw on television. The people themselves said that they would never take out their anger on any American, that they simply have issues with the US government. That they love US culture and US people, but the government is something else, especially when it concerns the Iranian-US relationship, which is not the most fluid between any two governments.

Then there are the charlatans that tell people that the US is the most evil country on earth and people just eat it up. In some countries, like in Iran, the charlatans are the politicians.
Agreed

Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
There is also another reason why many Americans don't travel abroad and isn't often mentioned. They get a lot less holiday/vacation time than those in other countries. Many people only get 2 weeks a year and some only a week. To do a proper trip abroad you need a minimum of 2 weeks and that uses up all the time you might split up for domestic trips and trips to see family, etc.

Also the dollar isn't worth much when you convert it to other currencies. It's $900-1,000 just for a flight to Europe from the eastern US. And if you have a family....
Um.. It really isn't that expensive. You can fly to ewr in februray for £300. July it's like £600.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:42 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL, I know what you mean about stereotypes - my husband used to work for a Texas company that was bought by a Canadian company. Since he was in upper management, it was often our "duty" to entertain visiting Canadians.

The first thing many of them did was run out and buy ginormous cowboy hats, huge belt buckles, and the most flashy cowboy boots they could afford. Honestly, they looked like cartoon characters in these getups! It was literally embarrassing to walk into a restaurant with them looking like that, but we were determined to be gracious hosts, even when they were sitting there simultaneously looking like Big Tex (at the state fair) and talking smack about Texas - while wolfing down BBQ and drinking Lone Star beer.

Very trying. Oh, and then they repainted the oilfield services company trucks - from cherry red (with a Statue of Liberty logo) to MAUVE with a Canadian maple leaf. Yes, you read that right - pink oilfield services trucks.

They never could understand why they had such massive turnover - and lost so many customers (due to that turnover and lack of consistent service, though the pink trucks didn't help their cause!). The once thriving company is now struggling locally. Oh well - live and learn. My husband moved on to much greener pastures - as did nearly all his coworkers.

LOL!! Ah, that made me laugh so hard Kathryn!!! I can see them now. BUT...I'll bet they were from Alberta, so, it is of no suprise to me, AT ALL.

But, as you've proven, it goes both ways. At least there are those of of smart enough not to believe in the stereotypes.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
hate is a strong word but a lot of people find it irritating how insular americans are , this is a problem when their country has such power and influence around the world

ive been following the politics section on this site for a while and the level of ignorance surrounding the israeli - pallestinian conflict is staggering

Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Um.. It really isn't that expensive. You can fly to ewr in februray for £300. July it's like £600.
Fly from where to Newark? £600 is about $1,000. I pay the equivalent of $1,000-1200 when I go from Glasgow to Detroit.

And if you are a family with 2 kids? $$$$££££

Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
This is why some of us "smarter" Americans work for the -- you guessed it -- federal government. 4 weeks of annual leave plus 10 holidays is standard. On top of that, those who've been working for the federal government for 15+ years get an extra week of annual leave. This is not counting sick leave, which is even more weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World