Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 AM

362 posts, read 665,768 times

Advertisements

I checked past threads to see if this has been done before, which I don't think it has. Anyway, the title explains it all.

Is it because of American tv (which portrays us in the worst light possible, and most of it is not real anyway)?
Because we are a superpower?
Is it because of the "American ignorance"?

Please feel free to answer my question

Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Well, it's not that we hate America. Many Americans have this obnoxious attitude that their nation is better than anyone elses and that we are all heathens. They are also quite ignorant of other cultures, for example, many would think that Singapore was poor and full of slums when in actual fact it is a rich and vibrant city.The whole pride thing gets on my nerves aswell, I've never seen many people make such a fuss over a piece of fabric in my life.

It's a piece of land. Feel free to eat me, I really could not care- truth is, I'm a allowed an opinion.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 AM

455 posts, read 1,132,101 times
More often than not and it won't be easy for most to admit but jealousy.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 AM

750 posts, read 908,163 times
"Hatred" too strong feeling, I would call it "rejection" rather. "Rejection" of foreign policy of the government of the USA, it seems to much too rough, the American governmental functionaries (different - diplomats, military, officials, investigation, etc. Also it concerns the American businessmen and even religious preachers) not simply don't understand local features, and directly refuse to consider them. All this very much afflicts the local contractors having authority among local population, and they extend rejection at home.
But the relation to separately taken American if it doesn't pursue policy and it is not connected with the government, as a whole the positive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
jealousy
Jealousy to what?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:02 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
Jealousy to what?
I was wondering that...

With regards to the OP I don't think the world hates America, I think they have more important things going on in their lives, things that matter and only think of the US when it appears on the news.

Why hate something which only occasionally pops into your minds? No reason too so they don't.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
More often than not and it won't be easy for most to admit but jealousy.
Arrogant, ignorant attitudes like this one are a huge reason. Americans think that everyone in the world would do anything to live in the USA, the supposedly greatest country on earth. They don't.

I bet you're one of those that would tell the British re WWII 'if it wasn't for us you'd be speaking German'.

I have to admit I fell for that propaganda as well, but realized when seeing the US from across the pond that Americans are very arrogant. It can be hard not to be when you are told as soon as you old enough that you're so lucky to live in the greatest country on earth.

The US is:

7th in the world in literacy
37th in health care
27th in math
22nd in science
49th in life expectancy
47th in freedom of the press
25th out of 43 developed countries as the best place to be a mother
39th in income equality
etc etc

Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Americans think that everyone in the world would do anything to live in the USA, the supposedly greatest country on earth.

Exactly.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:40 AM

347 posts, read 695,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Arrogant, ignorant attitudes like this one are a huge reason. Americans think that everyone in the world would do anything to live in the USA, the supposedly greatest country on earth. They don't.

I bet you're one of those that would tell the British re WWII 'if it wasn't for us you'd be speaking German'.

I have to admit I fell for that propaganda as well, but realized when seeing the US from across the pond that Americans are very arrogant. It can be hard not to be when you are told as soon as you old enough that you're so lucky to live in the greatest country on earth.

The US is:

7th in the world in literacy
37th in health care
27th in math
22nd in science
49th in life expectancy
47th in freedom of the press
25th out of 43 developed countries as the best place to be a mother
39th in income equality
etc etc
Yeah...it's the arrogance that gets me. Especially considering that compared to other 1st world countries Americans are not well travelled at all (I believe only 25% of Americans own a passport). So it's like they judge the rest of the world as "less than" yet have not travelled to confirm their assumptions.

The part of your post about Americans being told from young they live in the greatest country on earth is so true. I've always wondered how they got such a huge brainwashing scheme passed so successfully on such a huge population. I figure it's a combination of the media telling them that and the school system probably reinforcing it maybe *shrug*

Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,917 times
The United States of America are the richest and most influent country of the world. Some people think that the influences of USA will threaten the culture of the country. In Latin America, particullarly here in Brazil, one cannot talk about "hatred" against USA, but it's true the fact that many people, specially those politically identified to the left-wing, blame the americans because of the internal problems of the countries, even if USA is one of the most important (if not the most) trade parter of Brazil.

In the Middle East and North Africa the thing is more serious, due to the good relations between USA and Israel.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
People hate the fact that an arsenal of 10,000 nuclear warheads is in the hands of a bunch of religious fruitcakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World