Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
Your country might be top dog, but the ordinary person does not benefit one iota from it so it is a false pride being displayed here. It is like the British empire, most Brits lived in extreme poverty when the UK was the richest country on the planet by a mile. Don't be proud of being top dog when the average American is still being reamed by the government on education, medical care and social security. All I can say is that I wouldn't swap your passport for mine.
Your first sentence is not quite accurate. It's a little more complex than that. In the U.S., people who study hard in school and take advantage of higher educational opportunities - and especially the more challenging courses of study and marketable university majors - are highly likely to be financially successful over the course of their working lives.

Now, whether or not this describes the "ordinary person" in America is a matter of opinion. We don't have royalty in this country, so everybody can be considered an "ordinary person." The opportunities are there for everyone.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
I don't hate America. I lived there for 48 years. But I'm so very grateful that I don't live there any more and never will again. I love visiting, my family is all there. I love being a tourist. But as a resident. No thanks.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm talking reality here. In spite of its problems, the U.S. is still the major economic engine, innovator and driving force in the world today. We know the story right? At different times, the same position was held by Britain, France, Spain, the Netherlands, the Islamic world, Rome, Egypt, etc. What comes around goes around.

Personally, if I could then I would prefer to live in places like England, France or Germany to the U.S. because I like the culture in those countries more. But that doesn't change who is top dog in the world right now.
The US leads the world in only three categories. Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real and defense spending.

25 More Signs That America Is Not The Greatest Country On Earth - Business Insider

Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM

255 posts, read 565,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Your first sentence is not quite accurate. It's a little more complex than that. In the U.S., people who study hard in school and take advantage of higher educational opportunities - and especially the more challenging courses of study and marketable university majors - are highly likely to be financially successful over the course of their working lives.

Now, whether or not this describes the "ordinary person" in America is a matter of opinion. We don't have royalty in this country, so everybody can be considered an "ordinary person." The opportunities are there for everyone.

Actually, the United states has the most rigid class system and the least upward mobility of any country in the first world. That includes the United Kingdom! And when you think we have a royal family, that is ridiculous. How much does it cost to take a graduate degree in the United States? It would be actually cheaper for an American to do one in the UK and pay international fees.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
Actually, the United states has the most rigid class system and the least upward mobility of any country in the first world. That includes the United Kingdom! And when you think we have a royal family, that is ridiculous. How much does it cost to take a graduate degree in the United States? It would be actually cheaper for an American to do one in the UK and pay international fees.
We are using this same principal for our retirement. We will surely have a better quality-of-life overseas than in our home country. Sad, isnt it ?

Our 'system' is bizarre EVERYTHING is based on consuming and profit. Profit uber alles. What rational person would think that its OK for good education and healthcare to be a hardship for a large part of the population ?

So . . . Have a system that requires hyperconsuming to function, but make it impossible for a large part of the population to partake of that system.

Combine that with a population that is breeding like feral cats and cant sustain itself anymore, and here we are. Northern Mexico/Western Calcutta

Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Because everyone of us are Jesus freak conservatives who are obsessed with war, drive big trucks and scream "God bless America" all the time.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Because everyone of us are Jesus freak conservatives who are obsessed with war, drive big trucks and scream "God bless America" all the time.
I wouldn't say every one, maybe 90%.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Except for my family. Not a conservative, bible thumper, redneck or low-life among them.
It'll be a matter of time before the American media gets to their head, considering we are all very brainwashed.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I remember hearing how lucky I was by the time I was 6 or 7. We did the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag with our hand on our heart every morning.
I'm actually offended at the suggestion that americans think they are better than us. What? Do they think the rest of us live in hell?

Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citynomad View Post
I think the main reason America is hated so much by other countries is because citizens of other countries are unhappy with their own life in their own home country and at the same time gets jealous of the U.S. (due to relative prosperity). The U.S is probably the most dynamic country in the world in every way. Americans can elect a moron like George W. Bush to a brilliant and respectable President like Barack Hussain Obama in a four year period.

Yes, Americans can be ignorant and arrogant but not everything is set in stone. Americans change constantly ( dynamic ). Plus, Americans admit mistakes and try to fix them.
LOL.

There we go again.
Stupid arrogant attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.